home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
65-69 rear wheel bearing setup
Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: April 22, 2014 01:54PM

just a simple question on replacing the inner and outer bearings (searched the FAQ's and it requires me to sign up for 'my flare' FIRST..) I've done my own before,cleaning and re-greasing the old in-spec bearings,but I'm doing a pair for another's car that were not shimmed correct..all new bearings (Timkens) seals,cleaned parts and a selection of the shims in GM pkg's..with my magnetic base H-F dial ind I'm getting .008" play,but only "lubed" parts with light penetrating oil, no grease (yet)..so, should the bearings be properly greased first,or assembled 'dry'? should I allow clearance for the grease?..for the numbers, I've got a 1.675" spacer,and with a .128" shim I'm getting .008" play; the flange is clamped in the vise,the dial ind magnetically held to it to position the dial plunger on the bearing housing which I've moved in/out the .008"..the question is the greasing of the bearings,and any effect grease has on the end-play reading..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 65-69 rear wheel bearing setup
Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: April 22, 2014 05:40PM

Tom, I would add one of Clark's .005 shims...part number C7593. The grease will not take up the .008 in my experience.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 22, 2014 07:18PM

The bearings are checked dry. You will get a different reading if you put grease in.

If you have .008 end play right now then you don't want to add any shims you want to put a .005 smaller shim in to reduce the end play to .003. Once you have that then grease the bearings and make sure you have the baking plate on this time.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Date: April 22, 2014 07:22PM

Yep, that's it. That is why Ken is a pro and I am a....not.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Posted by: JamesD ()
Date: April 22, 2014 07:39PM

I did a test with Dave's wheel bearing tool. I just snugged the nut on the spindle, maybe 20-30 foot pounds. Then I fully torqued it. There was a difference of about 0.005" to 0.006" (I don't remember exactly). The bearings just have light oil on them.

So, in my estimation, the play doesn't count unless it's a torqued assembly.

Dave, show us your tool!

James
'65 Corsa 4-speed, '65 Corsa V8                                                       Santa Clarita, CA.
“I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair.  Stay loose, my friends.”

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: April 22, 2014 07:41PM

Here is what you need Tom, my buddy James took one of my old spindles and made a wheel bearing shim tool,he had it milled down a tad so everything will slip on to check the shims,once all is correct you press it on your axle and away you go, cuts down on pressing on and off to check the clearance.thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Attachments:

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: April 22, 2014 08:59PM

I know im asking to get beat up here but why not just turn down the stub axle intended for use so you can slip the tapered bearings and shims on and off like every other spindle hub assembly known to man..... that way they can be re-greased and packed / shimmed / replaced regularly like front hub bearings... forget the press fit all together....

confused smiley

anyone copy that ?

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: April 22, 2014 09:25PM

63-83 Corvettes are "set-up" exactly the same way as the 65-69 Corvair. Most dealerships - and shops that work on Corvair - or Corvette - axles have a tool that functions the same way as the one shown. Turning an extra rear stub axle slightly undersize is the most common method. The "press-fit" install is only for repeatability, the overall length of the inner spacer/shim is what locates the inner bearing race - resulting in the correct end play.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: April 22, 2014 09:37PM

Rod has a Good Question? Why is the press fit needed rather than a slip fit on these axles? Anyone?

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 22, 2014 09:58PM

As discussed before.... '63 Vettes were slip fitted....but from '64 on pressed..

seems the inner races slipped...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: April 23, 2014 02:45AM

many thanls guys,but I have to credit Steve G. for the setup idea he PM'd me a while back..I took a spindle to a former co-worker that has a 6" lathe; he used HarbFr's cutters (cheap but sharp) to remove a few thou's off where the inner races slide,and referred Ron to the garage that will do the alignment to press the outer races in his housings (I didn't want to hammer them in..)--these are for the 'race car' I converted the rear back to drums (from older disc 'conversion') with Clemens new mono-ball,welded the upper-rear spring pockets back in (pieces from The Ranch),and put a stock Corvair complete front sub in..The left should be back together on the car today,with pics, along with doing one of my 'good used' ones for the 67 (in-spec,just clean/re-grease and new seals)..and yes,Ken, I'll look at a spare to get things together in order!!

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Date: April 23, 2014 03:54AM

Here is what I use...KM tool made specifically for this job. Have not seen many of them. The little tab sticking up measures the needed shim when the bearings and hub are assembled on the tool.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Attachments:
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:09AM

Here is a setup tool and shim kit from a Corvette parts vendor.

I borrowed a tool like this from a Vette owning friend a few years back and I believe it was this version used to set up C2 and C3 Vette rear bearings. I'm pretty sure this will do the job for Vairs too. Anyone have one of these?

$70
[www.mamotorworks.com]

I ordered this shim kit for my rebuilds while I was having them ship my C4 adustable strut rods.
$30
[www.mamotorworks.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4dr 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4dr EJ20T w/5-speed
66 500 4dr 110 3-speed Display Vehicle

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2014 06:10AM by azdave.

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:22AM

You want to get beat up Rod...use the word zerk in this thread!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 23, 2014 06:35AM

The reason GM switched to a pressed-together assembly after '63 (Corvette) was that a slip-fit caused the spindle to wear.

On a rotating (drive) spindle, the size difference between the spindle OD and the bearing ID causes the bearing to slowly turn on the shaft. Once this unintentional "gear set" wears a little, the size difference accelerates and things get out of hand. I've seen '63 Corvette stub axles with a 1/8" groove where the bearings have been turning.

The press-fit solves the problem.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: HOMEBREW ()
Date: April 23, 2014 07:19AM

Hey Darrin...
Came across a new one of them tools and never used it. Would you give us a play by play on how to?

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: April 23, 2014 07:35AM

HOMEBREW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would you give us a play by play on how to?

I was going to point you to a great "How to" in the FAQ section but that link is dead.

Here is one that is pretty good at explaining the process. It doesn't specifically show using a tool to make the measurment process easier but you will understand the process if you read through it.

[1969corvair.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 455 Toronado V8
65 Monza 4dr 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4dr EJ20T w/5-speed
66 500 4dr 110 3-speed Display Vehicle

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: April 23, 2014 07:42AM

I have the same J-tool Darren has as well as a reduced diameter (test) axle spindle. The axle spindle is much simpler to use IMO.

For the rundown on use of Darrin's J-tool, look no further than the '65 shop manual, Page 4-28, beginning at "Assembly", step 3.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: April 23, 2014 08:24AM

The scam below is from the 1969 Corvair shop manual and shows the tool as J-21836.

I've never had or used the tool, but it looks to be assembled hand tight. If you had a different reading after torquing the nut, I suspect a burr or dirt on one of the shims or even one of the outer races was not fully seated in the hub.

I have not done very many of these hubs so it is not worth it to me to find the tool or machine an old axle. I just use a long through bolt and an assortment of spacers. You just have to squeeze the bearings tight against the spacers and measure how much play the hub has.

Attachments:

Date: April 23, 2014 08:47AM

That is it...and you add the .097" to the measurement as that is the thickness of that little tab. Jerry's pictorial instruction sheet is excellent I think.

I will take some pics when I set the next ones up....63RedBrier and I are doing several sets in fits and starts...will post some pics of it in use when we get back to the effort.

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.