Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Stock heating system
Posted by: ben_w ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:33AM

Guys,

Please excuse my ignorance and my possibly stuipid question but I'm trying to understand how the heating system works with a Corvair.

I understand how things work in the VW world with heat exchangers being a part of the exhaust system etc but from what I can see, the Corvair is a different set up.

I've got the pieces of tinwear which I think go at the rear of the engine which what looks like two air feeds.

Then there is also this bit on the fan housing.

From what I can see and understand, it would appear that the fan pushes the warm air through the tin at the rear of the engine, which must then somehow be utilised by the car for heating.

The reason I ask is quite simple. My buggy goes in very soon to have a roof made. Not just a roof but doors etc as well which will pretty much weather proof it. This is likely to mean I can use it far more than I currently do, including colder weather. With some form of heat in it, my wife is far more likely to want to come out in it (would be nice to spend a little time with her, now and again.....)

My plan would be (as long as my understanding is correct) to pipe the warm air to the front footwells and possibly dash of the buggy.

I!m almost certain that there is something I've missed though. My !manuals are with the guy helping me build my engine, and I couldn't find much via the search function. Could someone help me fill in the gaps please?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------
64, 110hp powered Beach Buggy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stock heating system
Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:47AM

The part in the top shroud is just for fresh air to enter the system. the heater works off of tins that surround the exhaust manifolds (kind of like the vw) except not made into one piece. They are right behind the tins you have pictured there. Also inside the shrouds are thermostats like VW which expand when hot and open the flaps that are out the back of the engine.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:48AM

Some guys will chime in soon with photos or I will later on.

South Carolina Upstate

68 Monza convertible 140 4spd A/C (coming soon)
66 Corsa coupe 140 4spd

Posted by: Paul S ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:49AM

Those tin ducts bolt to the rear of the heads. Heat from the exhaust manifolds is sucked through two ducts (one on each side via a blower fan mounted to the heater box which also sucks in fresh air through the duct on the top motor cover. (Also pictured) I dunno how you would make this system work in a buggy.

Posted by: zachness ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:49AM

those two first parts are the warm air ducts. the air outlet on the top tin is actually a cold (unheated) air duct, it sends cool air into the controls so you can adjust the air temp of the heater. the advice i got from vairmech is to block this off at the outlet with just a simple cover plate. if this is hooked up, you risk burning up #5 cylinder due to inadequate cooling air around the cylinder. not having this connected just means the heater air is always full-temperature, not adjustable, you would just have to control it with the blower controls. seems like on a buggy, you'd want all the heat you can get.

Detroit, Michigan
former Corvairs:
1964 500 2dr (my first car, i bought it for $1!!!)
1965 Corsa turbo vert
presently:
65 Monza 4 door 110/PG
2006 Ford Freestar

Posted by: Paul S ()
Date: April 18, 2014 11:57AM

Heres a pic of the heater box and fan. The big duct sends the heat into the cab. The two inlets on both sides of the fan would connect to each of your tin shrouds and the inlet I hav a air filter on would normally run to the outlet on your top cover.

Attachments:
Date: April 18, 2014 12:08PM

Guys, this is great. Keep it coming please!

Posted by: ChuckC ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:30PM

Heres some pics that may help.

Chuck

64 Monza Coupe - 110 - PG
Raleigh, NC

Molon Labe - Come and Take It

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 18, 2014 12:46PM

Your problem will be that you want to run headers.... so you'll have to trim the lower / long shrouds to allow the 3 pipes to exit...and then seal up any holes.

There are topics and pictures of this already posted..

I ran a Stock manifold Vair engine in a VW Beetle and the engine fan was strong enough to push plenty of hot air into the stock VW system..but it had the lower shrouds and thermostats.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 18, 2014 12:54PM

Matt, thanks for that, that's very useful to know.

I'm running all the tinwear just not the thermostats in the lower shrouds.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 18, 2014 01:22PM

Then you'll want to close off the exits approx. 50% in the winter to get your engine to warm up and help to force air to the interior...

note: on a stock Vair..... the driver's side / with oil cooler Door is held slightly open by a metal stop...when cold.

This is so that if the outside temps are so cold that the Doors don't open...the oil cooler can still have cooling air.

And in "normal street operation" if you were to just drive around town at slower speeds....stop and get out and look..

The Left side MAY be fully open.....but the passenger side WILL BE FULLY closed!!!!

It seems only at highways speeds that the right side door will open! And if you pull over quickly and run back to look... it will already be closed!!

So do not worry about overheating your engine!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.