home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: yenko style engine hood flaps, anyone do a template
Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: February 24, 2014 05:17PM

I don't like em. When I get to that section of my GTP Vair build if I can't find/afford a Yenko decklid, I may be trying to fabricate my own out of steel. Till then smileys with beer !!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ROD ()
Date: February 24, 2014 06:55PM

Oh -its just another : gotta pay to play thing buying the decklid that costs as much as a parts car is only half the fun. The you get to spend a weekend mounting it and then realize you need to throw away the fiberglass flaps because they suck and fit like crap....
I gotta tell you though , when the decklid is on it changes the whole car. well worth it IMO

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Class 5 Corvair powered Baja
61 Vintage Rampy
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Attachments:

Date: February 24, 2014 08:45PM

If someone local wants to try a pair of those bolt in aluminum vents i would be willing to do the metal fab work to help out. Im sure we can come up with a donor deck lid from someone in the club.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2014 09:27PM

I know, that they are not true to the Yenko dimensions. But if you counter sunk them to be flush when closed, I think they would make nice scoops and not look bad if painted.

If you were doing a custom job, and not trying to do an exact Yenko clone.

Date: February 24, 2014 09:52PM

Yes i agree the only way you will get the yenko look is to buy one made from a yenko mold. The rest are fakes. The bolt ins were a fluke thing i ran across online but dont see why they wouldnt be fully functional even if they were installed from the underside and sealed in place. Its actually funny how the width makes them a good canidate for the wacky underside decklid support framing not to interfere. Good functionig flaps they might be? Maybe better suited for an auto cross car or something needing more function than looks. Heck racer skins dont look that great flopping around either. Its hard going against the norm when new things are introduced. Besides i havent seen many other attempts at improving the less than perfect yenko flaps. Heck, I set my car up with the yenko decklid because it looked bad ass not because it works good.

The single best improvement ive ever seen on the crappy fitting yenko decklids is the little plastic arm fulcrum flap holders shown previously in this thread. Those are ingenius and my hats off to you sir.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 24, 2014 10:06PM

I am just gunna slice my deck lid open and vent it! Everyone has seen the Yenko,,no one has seen the Motohead Massacre!

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: February 24, 2014 10:16PM

Dave,
next time look to see whats under the lid before you beat a hole in it

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
61 Vintage Rampy

Attachments:
Date: February 24, 2014 10:20PM

Oh yeah Dave - Been meaning to send you this.. Maybe you can duplicate this next time you see a smashed up vair

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2014 10:45PM

Rod, this is what I did to an extra hood(excuse me, ahem, deck lid) I have. It is not done yet. As with most things custom (like the stacks) it is all about looks, not function.

Attachments:

Posted by: gmorphan ()
Date: February 25, 2014 05:08AM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know, that they are not true to the Yenko
> dimensions. But if you counter sunk them to be
> flush when closed, I think they would make nice
> scoops and not look bad if painted.

The 9.6" width might look like it's "almost" a Yenko vent. The other big work-around is the .75" height that would make the interior build-up a little bulky. In the end, I think you could fab fancier fiberglass covers with seals just as easily.

Bob Manwaring, Kingston, TN
'69 500 Coupe #1432

Posted by: paulvair ()
Date: February 25, 2014 06:12AM

On my stinger they were pretty cheap. When they made them they just pushed them out the door as fast as possible. In fact the whole hood was poor quality.
I really like the looks of Mel's flap latch. I got tired of replacing the cabinet door magnets and just fixed mine open. I made the flaps out of poly plastic.

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: February 25, 2014 06:19AM

Your are quite correct Paul. There's a good reason why 117 has a repro decklid on it and the original hangs on the wall.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: gkellogg ()
Date: October 05, 2017 05:59PM

I first saw this thread a few years ago and had to revive it as I finally found a solution for Yenko flap hardware. My local go-to shop devised this solution and I'm pretty happy with it. Thought I'd put it out there for posterity since there aren't a ton of examples out there. Quick disconnect fittings attach to one post to hold open and the other to hold closed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2017 06:02PM by gkellogg.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 05, 2017 06:11PM

Nice!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Mike Stillwell ()
Date: October 05, 2017 06:30PM

I used metal cabinet hardware on 117's second decklid. Still fine, 15 years later now.

Mike
YS-117

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: October 05, 2017 08:21PM

Had a nice visit with Tom Parrish several years ago...see the invoice for the decklids and landau panels in "The Yenko Era "..they were done on the cheap and Tom waited a long time for Yenko to pay off the invoice.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 06, 2017 09:07AM

This may be a stupid question but do these actually funnel high pressure air into the engine compartment? Do they interfere with other aerodynamics? I would like to see some wind tunnel pictures of the Corvair body to figure out the high and low pressure areas. I can infer some based on basic aerodynamics but details would be nice to have before cutting things up. In the 60's a flap open was assumed to push air into the space but we know that protrusions like that can also raise the airflow and then create low pressure areas. Like a spoiler just raises the airflow, which is a good thing at the tail.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: yenkomark ()
Date: October 08, 2017 04:22PM

The spoiler and flap locations on the Yenko decklid were located using the most scientific methods available at the time...they bolted some proto type parts on ,attached tufts of yarn on the lid, drove down the highway as fast as they could ..Bob McClure, a Corvette racing friend ofDon's drove, Donna Mae and John Salathe, designer of the body mods, in the back seat,observing.

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: October 09, 2017 08:52AM

Yikes. At any speed I would expect the yarn to be blown pretty hard. With no way to know the actual air pressure in any location, they would have a hard time knowing the impact of the mods. Then again, GM put the air intake grill right at the lower portion of the rear glass. Did they know something or just put it there because it was the only place to have space? The early had lots of louvers on the hood didn't it? I suppose that at speeds of the day, it worked. Racing at very high speeds would require something different. I wonder if a computer can simulate the air flow and give us better data. I'll look into that unless someone else has information. Maybe someone on the racers FB?

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: October 09, 2017 09:14AM

HERE is some info on the aerodynamics

Marty Scarr

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.