Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
OT - Corvette Museum
Posted by: guttes ()
Date: February 12, 2014 04:24PM

Oh the humanity....

Sinkhole swallows 8 cars at National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green
Posted: Feb 12, 2014 8:15 AM CST Updated: Feb 12, 2014 9:43 AM CST
By Joey Brown - email

(Source: National Corvette Museum)

(Source: National Corvette Museum)

(Source: Chris Allen/WBKO)

National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY (Source: Wikimedia Commons)
BOWLING GREEN, KY (WAVE) - Eight cars were swallowed by a sinkhole at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Wednesday morning, according to the museum's executive director.
A statement released by the museum said their security company alerted them at 5:45 a.m. that motion detectors were going off in the Skydome area. When officials arrived, they discovered the sinkhole.
Wendell Strode, the executive director, said the hole is approximately 25 to 30 feet deep and about 40 feet wide. The Bowling Green Fire Department secured the area for the time being.
Strode said the one millionth Corvette, which was donated to the museum by Chevrolet, was among the cars that fell into the sinkhole.
The statement went on to say "it is with heavy hearts that we report that eight Corvettes were affected by this incident."
Those cars include:
• 1993 ZR-1 Spyder on loan from General Motors
• 2009 ZR1 "Blue Devil" on loan from General Motors
The other six vehicles were owned by the National Corvette Museum including:
• 1962 Black Corvette
• 1984 PPG Pace Car
• 1992 White 1 Millionth Corvette
• 1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Corvette
• 2001 Mallett Hammer Z06 Corvette
• 2009 White 1.5 Millionth CorvetteNo one was injured as no one was in or around the museum at the time of the collapse.
None of the cars affected were on loan from individuals. The museum remains open, but the Skydome section will be closed until further notice.
Strode said structural engineers would assess the stability of the surrounding areas later today.
2014 is the museum's 20th Anniversary and officials said they "look forward to re-opening the Skydome exhibit area very soon."

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: OT - Corvette Museum
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: February 12, 2014 05:57PM

Holy cow!!! That is terrible.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restoration in progress
Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]

Daily Driver's: 2014 Chevy Silverado High Country Crew Cab / 2013 Volvo C70 T-5 Retractable hardtop

sad smileyRe: OT - Corvette Museum
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 08:25PM

That really is bad. I really enjoyed my trip there in '09 to look at all the 'vairs when they were there on display for the 50th Anniversary.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Re: sad smileyRe: OT - Corvette Museum
Posted by: dodgeboy69 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 08:43PM

I am a cave guy and I know what a sinkhole does. That area is in "cave country". The cave collapse that created sinkhole displaced a lot material. there is something really big under there. Kentucky caves are pretty well mapped, so I would "assume" when the museum was built along with any other GM facility in the area, they would have know of any cave system under the build sites. It is a shame to see all those Vette's "go down the hole"

Don Carns Jr

Mid-Appalachian Region of the National Speleological Society for the Pennsylvania Cave Conservancy

Bedford County Steward

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: February 12, 2014 08:52PM

I had to read up about the '83 Vette. I never knew that they didn't make an '83 model year. I'm glad to hear nobody was injured. I hope the cars can be salvaged.

Greg in Brookfield, IL (part of the Chicago urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: MT ()
Date: February 12, 2014 09:59PM

I think Jay Leno sneaked up from underneath!

Martin Thomas
1965 Monza Convertible
110HP PG
with Brown EFI System
Kennesaw, Ga.

Posted by: Duane1967 ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:52PM

[www.cnn.com]

Duane
1967 500 Coupe
Folsom, CA (Sacramento suburb)

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: February 12, 2014 11:56PM

Well that sink hole defiantly wasn't compensating for anything! Dodgeboy69 is right, lots of caves. Used to do some caving in that area when I still had vertebrae.

Mike C ........... Northern Indiana

1965 Corsa In my family for 45 years

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: February 13, 2014 12:19AM

At first I thought the photos was a miniature diorama with toy cars, as in a recent post on this forum.

That is a pretty good size hole! I hope the surrounding footings and that section of the building are not compromised.

One of the old limestone caves around here, had a brush fire in it and was still burning after many years.

Jimc
1965 Corsa
KCMO

Date: February 13, 2014 12:33AM

If you want to see video of vetts falling in to sink holes click HERE! It's a link to Autoblog.

Posted by: eddieb ()
Date: February 13, 2014 12:42AM

Living here in west central Florida we have sinkholes all the time. Just two last week one swallowing a ladies driveway,but about a year ago one opened up under a house and swallowed a guy sleeping in his room. They never found him and the house was demolished. EddieB Dade City, Fl

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: February 13, 2014 01:11AM

I wonder how many people have a new Vette on order with Option R8C.

Posted by: isucorvair ()
Date: February 13, 2014 01:43AM

Watching the video is amazing! At least they were just Corvettes smiling smiley

Eric p
Dewitt, IA

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 01:49AM

I wonder how many will be salvageable? Glad no one was hurt. You would think that there would have been signs ahead of time of some sort of problem wouldnt you?

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: February 13, 2014 02:03AM

To be honest, a leaking 1/2 inch water line to a water cooler could create the same result if neglected for 30 years. Similar things happen in cities with streets collapsing when water mains leak over time.

Corvettes are fiberglass! I'm sure the fix is easy peasy.grinning smiley

Posted by: dodgeboy69 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 04:48AM

To be honest, a leaking 1/2 inch water line to a water cooler could create the same result if neglected for 30 years. Similar things happen in cities with streets collapsing when water mains leak over time

This is true in some areas, but this is a clear case of a cave collapse. I noticed open bedrock passage in the "drone" shot. The Flint-Mammoth cave system runs under that area and it has 400 miles of surveyed passage. This could be part of the system or something new. I would gladly go in and take a look for them, but I am sure I would be ushered to jail. They would be wise to send someone in and survey this thing since I am sure it is under a lot of real estate.

Don Carns Jr.

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 28, 2014 09:37PM

Here's a nice update to the sinkhole at the Corvette Musuem. Lots of before and after pictures of the cars. It's amazing how some cars looks like they went through a crusher and others look like they just need a wash.

[www.cnn.com]

Greg in Brookfield, IL (part of the Chicago urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: April 28, 2014 10:05PM

I think the last Corvette raised from that Titanic sink hole can be legitimately called a total loss. Sort of looks like the 1925 Bugatti Type 22 Brescia that has spent the last three quarters of a century at the bottom of a lake in Northern Italy.

Sad loss.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.