Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Brake Drum Madness
Posted by: Chi2 ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:02PM

I've been trying to remove a stuck rear brake drum on my Rampy for over two hours. It has been quite frustrating! I searched the forums and found a few threads that advocated penetrating oil, hammers, heat and all our nuclear war on the drum. I heated the drum red hot where it touches the hub. I smashed it with a brass hammer, and a min-sledge hammer, but I was getting sloppy and I don't want to ruing the studs/threads. I pried it with bars, etc..

I tried all of these things, but that drum has barely moved. It is clear that the drum is sticking to the hub (I can bend it out around its circumference from the backing plate). The only thing I haven't tried is buying Dean's new tool, but I don't want to drop $100 just to get this turd off.

My FLAPS do not have a puller big enough to try on the drum.

Any suggestions? Btw, I have attached a photo which shows two indents where, I am guessing, I might be able to punch our the tabs. Maybe this is where a puller should go? (PS: I just reviewed the picture, and the PB Blaster oil made the photo really shiny- sorry. The two punch-outs are at 12 and 6 o'clock).

Jon
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 05:04PM by Chi2.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brake Drum Madness
Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:09PM

Have you adjusted the shoes down?

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: February 09, 2014 05:11PM

In my 64 GB there was a clear way to do this: a hole allowed access to the star wheel adjuster. Sorry- I just edited for clarity (I had misunderstood): Yes, I adjusted the shoes down.

DAVECS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you adjusted the shoes down?

Jon
-1964 Greenbrier "The Dog Hauler" Rustoleum Charmer 110hp/4sp/.030 over/Pertronics I/Isky 270 Cam
-1962 Monza Club Coupe "Shaken, not stirred" Tuxedo Black with Red Interior 140hp/4sp/Pertronics I/Clark's 260 Cam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 05:13PM by Chi2.

Posted by: jasonscorvairs ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:14PM

heat drum almost red hot and beat the lip towards you. or is the park brake on . lol

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:19PM

I have had luck working an air hammer around the hub and studs. It makes a mess of the drum though.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:28PM

The drub is probably toast from the prying and pulling making the center warped

Steve Morton
1961 Rampside, 67 and 2 1964 Monzas

Morton's Classic Garage
Parts and Service
Nampa, Idaho 83686
40+ Corvairs and a semi trailer full
of parts

Mortonsclassicgarage@gmail.com
[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 09, 2014 05:33PM

Parking brake is off. I was using map gas, but it sounds like I'll need to get my acetylene torch out to really get crazy. Sounds like the nuclear option to me...

Jon

Date: February 09, 2014 05:35PM

I need to replace these drums anyway (they are ancient and very rusty).

The air hammer idea sounds good and I do have one of those.... I think it is a little late to go at it tonight- don't want my neighbors to get pissy smoking smiley

Tomorrow I'm going to heat that mutha to 5000 degrees and air hammer it into a pile of scrap metal!!!!

Jon

Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:40PM

Turn on the high kill mode.hot smiley

Steve Morton
1961 Rampside, 67 and 2 1964 Monzas

Morton's Classic Garage
Parts and Service
Nampa, Idaho 83686
40+ Corvairs and a semi trailer full
of parts

Mortonsclassicgarage@gmail.com
[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 09, 2014 05:42PM

That about sums it up!!

hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

strangecars Wrote:
> Turn on the high kill mode.hot smiley

Jon

Date: February 09, 2014 06:51PM

Get a propane torch. i use mine all the time. you dont need to go crazy. probaly the center of the drum is wedged to hub. could be wrong drum being hole to small.

Use a small zip saw to cut drum off on hub. closes to outside. then you can wedge a chisel between the drum plate and hub prying it off. . Ive had to do this on a hyway tractor that had 2 millon kilometers as drum never been off.

68 Monza Coupe Palomino Ivory 140hp 4sp
68 Monza Coupe Grecian Green 110hp 4sp ( daily driver 34 years)
65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG
1989 Gmc Vandura full of corvair parts

Grand Forks BC

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 09, 2014 06:57PM

spray BP blaster around it,tap it with a hammer and keep working it,I pull with one hand and tap with hammer on the other,spin 1/4 turn and repete,it will come off eventually,just work it!

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: chris ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:00PM

To what Dave says, I've sprayed PB Blaster into just about any open orifice on that drum I could get at then tap it a bit and rotate. Repeat process again then tap it harder with a hammer. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll spray again, rotate, spray rotate then come back the next day and it worked. Of course, your results may vary!

'66 Monza coupe
4 speed
140hp
Gardner, KS

Heart of America Corvair Owners Association

Date: February 09, 2014 07:09PM

Ive also had to hammer studs in then get into car and do a brake stand with wheel off. this will spin the hub and not the drum.

68 Monza Coupe Palomino Ivory 140hp 4sp
68 Monza Coupe Grecian Green 110hp 4sp ( daily driver 34 years)
65 Monza 4 door 140hp PG
1989 Gmc Vandura full of corvair parts

Grand Forks BC

Attachments:
Posted by: dragvairclark ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:18PM

See the two big holes at top and bottom of picture? Pound a big flat screwdriver in the hole towards the hub. I have some hooked tools that go in those holes but screwdrivers will work.

Clark Hartzel, Fraser, MI
1965 Monza coupe

Date: February 09, 2014 07:39PM

I was wondering if that would work!! Thanks for the feedback.

So I guess they are punch-outs?

Jon

dragvairclark Wrote:
> See the two big holes at top and bottom of
> picture? Pound a big flat screwdriver in the hole
> towards the hub. I have some hooked tools that go
> in those holes but screwdrivers will work.

Jon

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: February 10, 2014 02:22AM

heat-especially the little you get from propane/mapp gas-won't do anything,,even acetylene unless you plan on cutting them..I'd do what Jason said, knock the studs in and get the axle to 'spin' inside the drum using both fwd and reverse..watch out tho, the drum will take off (lethal projectile) and you may push the whl-cyl pistons out..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: February 10, 2014 04:26AM

The best course of action is to use the screwdrivers! This puts the pressure where it is needed. Do not put the screwdrivers straight towards the axle but rather anle them so the will miss the studs and the center of the axle. Two screwdrivers, one on each side, tap them in a short ways and the tip of the screwdriver will probably break, expect it. Then hit the outer corner of the drum where the web is pinched in, tap the screw drivers in some more hit the outer edge of the drum. At some point the drum will snap free of the axle pilot.

To start with use a 6" screw driver and then if needed move to the next larger size.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: wingnutandme ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:00AM

The "Motohead Method" is time proven. Passed down from generation to generation of mechanics, it may not be the fastest but it works. You don't even need use a Motohead size hammer.

Wingnut and Me

Pine Mountain GA
and sometimes northern lower Michigan

61 Rampside
61 Lakewood 700 x 2
62 700 Wagon
63 Corvan
64 Monza Coupe (for sale)
64 8 door Corvan
65 Monza Coupe
Ultra Van #328

Secretary/Treasurer Corvanatics
CORSA, VCE, VCCA

Plus a 74 Vega Kammback, 75 Cosworth Vega, 64 1/2 Mustang, 80 Triumph TR7 Vert

Posted by: Paul Kehler ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:52AM

If you try the "tried and tru" Harbor Freight pry bars and a hammer,instead of screwdrivers, it will pop off. ...the ones that are round at the top and pointed at the other end.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.