Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 17 of 19
Re: Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 01, 2019 09:57AM

Love the wood strips!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible (SOLD)
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 02, 2019 08:08AM

Well, its been a wile since I posted about Dainer's Rampside goings on!
Small details have continued. I changed out the car push button radio for a year correct, 1962, NOS FC radio. Love these old vacuum tube type radios. They seem to take forever to warm up and come alive!
I painted the alternator housing Black to better match the vintage of the engine compartment. I do know of an outfit that will convert vintage generators to alternators. But the price is out there and I like the availability of Delcotron alternator parts. So I'm thinking I will stick with this.
Something happened to the front bumper Chrome finish. It took on a strange tarnish look. I believe there may have been some reaction to different cleaners. Really not sure. So I removed it and installed a different re-chromed bumper. I will play with the tarnished one now that it's off the Rampy and try to clean it up.

Have been enjoying taking Dainers Rampside to local Car's & Coffee and other shows. Just last weekend was the All Gm show again in Woodland Hill's, Calif. As many of you know.... it's interesting how much attention our Corvair's get at public events.
I'm off to another this weekend. They park the cars in a star lineup going from the center of the field. The Rampside has been invited to be the center of the star. This should be interesting!

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2019 08:11AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Date: March 23, 2020 01:59PM

Now ti
This was just a load of fun.

Thanks to Craig Casey for doing all the fine editing work.

Someone with more youtube and sharing ability than me.. could you please post, fron youtube....

"Conejo Valley Cars & Coffee Unique of the week" 62 Corvair Rampside."

Much appreciated.smileys with beer

I'm looking 4ward to having more time to learn this stuff and the limitations of my skills on line....

Corventure Dave

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 23, 2020 02:09PM

You are too late!! No more "imbedding" vids...

[youtu.be]

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: March 23, 2020 02:58PM

An immaculate Rampside and a pleasant owner. I'm a bi-weekly attendee of Conejo Cars & Coffee. A fair number of Corvairs are in attendance (maybe s-o-m-e-d-a-y..., my Lakewood will make it). So, if you have a Corvair or just like them come out and join us when this Covid 19 situation settles down.

Date: March 23, 2020 04:16PM

Thank you Matt. smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: March 30, 2020 09:32AM

Long over due shout out to Seth Emmerson - Silicone Systems Performance Products.

Seth fixed me up with these vintage style cloth covered spark plug wires for Dainers Rampside, a while back.

I was looking for a contrasting vintage look in my engine compartment, and these I feel nailed it!

Thanks so much again Seth!thumbs up smileys with beer

With the original style black cables, the engine box was a bit too dark.
I have had quite few great comments since I installed these. grinning smiley

Corventure Dve

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: March 30, 2020 09:34AM

Great look!

Date: April 20, 2020 01:44PM

So while I'm digging around in my home office, I have been finding some lost treasures.
My folks never took special efforts to photograph their cars. So shots of my Dad with his Rampside are few if near non existent.
But I happened to find this shot. Dainer and his Rampside are in the staging area for the Flowwer festival parade in Lompoc California. This was taken back about 1985. This was the first paint job of two over the years that he had done over the factory Green paint.

That's my Niece and Nephew in the bed, going along for the ride! My nephew is now 40. My Niece, married with a young daughter.

How times fly. But at least we have a picture of Dad and his favorite Corveir.
smiling smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: April 24, 2020 02:38PM

Final details on Dainers Rampside.
Dad and I rebuilt the front and rear suspension a while back. It looked fine, but for some road dust and extra grease coming out of the tie rod ends.
SO I just cleaned things up for the restoration. Work and other responsibilities have kept me from detailing down yonder. Well...
With this home quarantine thing going on, I have had the perfect chance to do that detail.
A little more show detail this time. Instead do driver detail.
Thank goodness for my EZ Car Lift! Raising the Rampy up to workable height, I could sit on my mechanics stool and get to most all the fasteners.
Tie Rod ends and other cast iron parts were cleaned and media blasted. Then coated with a special cast iron paint that will hold that new cast iron look.
All of the rubber and bushings only needed a cleaning and the condition was excellent. New fasteners "bolts and nuts", grease fittings and finally new cotter keys will really make the front end look clean!
Time to install the drag link and tie rod ends. Check alignment, and we should be back on the road.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: June 04, 2020 08:25AM

Another adventure with Dainer's Rampside.
There is a group in Santa Barbara, Ca. that has their own version of Cars & Coffee.
They call it Cabs & Coffee. This is for Trucks and Vans.
Before this corona thing... I joined them in the pier in Santa Barbara. I can say that for sure, I have never drove my Rampside so far out into the ocean before!winking smiley
This was a nice turnout, tho only about 20 trucks. Boytcho "EZ Car Lift" also brought out his Rampside. There is a lot of public visiting the pier called Stern's Warf, so we got a lot of attention. It was overcast but nice.

Then I suddenly came to a shocking realization! "Seagull's" !eye popping smiley
Those bombers were all over the place. They passed over in unorganized bombing runs and from every possible direction! Some flew to the nearby restaurant roof that was just yards away from where we were parked. I'm sure they were assessing their targets! And to make matters worse... I forgot my hat!
hot smiley

Fortunately on this day the air assaults were mostly well off target. Dainer's Rampside was able to avoid the bombardment and come out un-pooped upon!

Perhaps next time I'll take the Greenbrier. It has Imron paint. That stuff is really tough and truly excrement proof!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: August 07, 2020 03:48PM

Time for an update.
Nothing special done mechanically lately. I have been going to local Car's & Coffee informal get togethers.
This weekend there will be local "Drive through" parade. I have to see how many want to ride with me.eye popping smiley
If just one... Dainer's Rampside.
If more than one riding along... It will be Valveeta, my Greenbrier.

We'll see! grinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: August 10, 2020 03:12PM

Well.. Not an update about Dainer's Rampside. Wound up with several friends riding along this weekend. So that called out My 64 Greenbrier instead.

Car's and Coffee events are going on with social distancing around the parking lot. So, will have a report with the Rampy in the coming weeks.

As for last Saturday, the parade was long and slow to the location. There it was a creeping pace past the viewing kids at the Foster Parent locating facility.
Valveeta ran great the whole day. The big block street rods did not like the heat and slow pace, tho!hot smiley

Nerny Nerny Nerny!tongue sticking out smiley

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: wittsend ()
Date: August 10, 2020 03:44PM

When one goes to the Conejo Cars & Coffee site it says the events are postponed. It lists the cruises but am I to conclude (wink, wink) that the "gathering" before/after the cruise in essence is similar to the typical cars & Coffee we have all grown to know and love without saying that are actually "meeting?"

Date: August 11, 2020 07:42AM

We're OT here... but every cruise has to start somewhere. Vehicles are parked or lined up before hand so participants can all leave together. Most - many stay in their vehicles. That's not exactly an organized 3+ hour Cars and coffee socializing in one location.

Corventure Dave

Date: August 18, 2020 08:11AM

So we were at the local C&C this weekend.
It was hard to get photo's of the cars in a group because the gathering is on a side street.
But there was about 30 cars on display. Right there, a fellow has a shop building to play with his car hobby. It is large enough to allow social distancing and also provide morning shade. Everything wraps up by 10:00. That's when the cool morning turns into the hot day!

I really enjoy these kind of car gatherings because one can see vehicles that would never show up at an organized all day car show.
The Rat rod here has a small Chevy 4cyl engine. Inside door handles are slide latches for a house gate. It is just odd enough to be a load of fun. The owner told me that he just traded it for a kitchen remodel!

Dainer's Rampside was the only Corvair there Sunday. I could not complain about the commute...… this gathering is literally 100 yards from my house!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 18, 2020 08:37AM

Good variety of cars!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:47PM

Is that yellow one an El Camino? Pretty old style taillights...

Yes, nice variety!

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: August 19, 2020 06:51PM

flamingchariots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that yellow one an El Camino? Pretty old style taillights...
>
> Yes, nice variety!

Looks like a Cameo to me. thumbs up

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: August 20, 2020 08:25AM

Yes it is a Cameo. He needs new tailgate latches and was blown away my mine made by our guy here, Dann.
The Cameo is highly modified. The rear wheel tubs in the bed are 20 inches wide!

Corventure Dave

Current Page: 17 of 19

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.