Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 14 of 16
Re: Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: August 10, 2016 01:35PM

Ken, That thought of 2 pumps occurred to me. Must be my Brothers aircraft way of thinking. But I don't think it is really necessary, unless making a long round the country trip, or backing up a mechanical pump. And then....there is no roadside assistance with airplanes.winking smiley

The AirTex #E80165 that failed was 20 years in operation. It is still available on Amazon for under $30. I ordered 2 more, so I will have a spare for each FC.

I really can't complain about the service life of the pump that failed. I believe these are still made in Mexico. I'll take that over the other Chinese quality pumps. But today, things can be made anywhere and quite suddenly somewhere else.

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ken ()
Date: August 10, 2016 04:22PM

Corventure Dave - I also have an airplane and it is nice to have redundancy. The Lockeed 1011 had 11 hydraulic pumps. I just want one reliable pump electric pump.

Date: August 10, 2016 04:30PM

Read you loud and clear.thumbs up Not a lot of reliability that can be trusted with replacement auto parts these days.

Corventure Dave

Date: August 19, 2016 02:14PM

Time for the undercarriage detailing. "Old picture here".. just imagine a couple legs and feet sticking out from under!

So it's back up on the EZ Car Lift and start with the front! Cleaning and brushing down everything. Wire wheel cleaning all the castle nuts on the suspension
and re-installing them with new cotter pins. All excess grease around the tie rod ends is wiped away. Clean and detail!
You see... when you get a nice paintjob, everything has to follow. Finally... even places that are not seen are begging to be made spiffy! That's OK, because it's all part of the game, I guess. So I start up front and eventually work my way back to the fresh engine. At least I can be laying down on this job!grinning smiley

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2016 02:16PM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Posted by: Pedigo ()
Date: August 19, 2016 08:33PM

Amazing work,Dave!
"Ash tray" logo handle is a '61-only feature.

Date: August 23, 2016 11:28AM

Thanks, Paul.
That makes the most sense as they started cutting expenses on the FC's after 1961. As I understand about 1962 or 63, they made even the rear lower exhaust grille an option!

Corventure Dave

Date: September 06, 2016 08:40AM

So I have been detailing the undercarriage on Dainer's Rampside in the past few weeks.
I started in the rear and have moved forward to the fuel tank area. Just getting started on the front end now.
As you may have read previously, Dad and I had rebuilt the suspension a few years ago, so there was no need for another rebuild at this time. So a cleaning and detail is under way.

This past weekend I was able to join the Valley of the Flowers Region of AACA. This is a chapter that Dad was a member of. The antique car guys have a annual event and tour around the area. Saturday they went to a private collection near Lompoc, Calif.
The drive out there took me back to when I was a member 30+ years ago. Fond memories of cruising at 48 mph! Corvair's don't really like driving that slow, but it's fun doing that once and a while with a parade of Model A's and T's!

This collection we visited is no less than amazing. The picture of the gas pumps is only a few of huge collection, all restored. There are still others yet to be touched. The signage here would make American Pickers... pucker! Racing memorabilia and building after building of vintage collectables... most all organized.

Why this place has not been on TV is quite simple. It's a private collection and they don't want just anyone in there. Just think of the value! It's no wonder the property is walled in.

Regardless it was a super way to start off the Antique car event. Unfortunately I had to leave that afternoon for personal obligations. But it was fun.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 06, 2016 10:44AM

WOW!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 12, 2016 08:21AM

One of the great things about getting your Corvair out there is the people you meet and camaraderie with other enthusiasts.
This past Saturday South Coast Corsa hosted their annual Corvair show at the local Bob's Big Boy restaurant. Check the posting elsewhere.

This young artist was doing renderings of Corvairs and I had him do Dainers Rampside for me. This one will be framed for sure.

Oh.. The Rampy ran great. About 80 miles down there and then the always lovely LA traffic for a good portion of the 80 miles back. But the event was well worth it and we had a great time.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2016 08:22AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: September 12, 2016 08:32AM

Awesome!!!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: October 13, 2016 10:08AM

Well, they decided to upgrade the computer here again. Every few years they need to re-invent the mouse trap. Sure enough, this system will not allow me to send photo's... just like last time.
So I'm in the process of working through the new protocols to find away around the blockage.

In the mean time...
Dainer's Rampside has been running great. I'm more than 1/2 way through detailing the undercarriage. I have been toying with possibly adding some other accessories, such as a clock. 2 speed wipers and windshield washer. But I keep going back to not wanting to over load the Rampside. Rare accessories are great. But I have seen over-accessorized loaded cars at shows and for me anyway, too much is just toooo much.
So I'm more than content with the truck just as it is. Just a few upgrades from when Dad had it, but not overdone. Although knowing my Dad, he would have loaded it if he had taken the chance! Mom did a good job keeping him down to earth over the years!

Corventure Dave

Date: October 13, 2016 02:58PM

So forgive my ignorance and (not at this time) taking the time to read everything.

It's a Deluxe without 2speed wiper/washer? I guess I just assumed a Deluxe would have those features.
What's weird is...the '61 Standard has luxuries like fresh air heat and wiper/washer and radio.

I love FC's that don't make sense with/without options.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2016 02:59PM by Pedigo.

Date: October 13, 2016 04:20PM

My Rampside was a standard. 80hp, 3spd Trans, No radio, Single speed wiper and a Cig lighter delete plug. It did however come with the forced air heater. We have embellished it quite a bit over the years with stock year appropriate items to make it emulate a Deluxe. But only just enough in my opinion.

After the Rare Options post today... I'm thinking of installing my Metric speedometer, just for chuckles and grins! Then I can tell people that the gas gauge also reads in Liters!eye rolling smiley

hot smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: October 13, 2016 05:19PM

#litres

Get it straight.grinning smiley

Date: October 17, 2016 10:28AM

Damn spell check again. Got it now..... leeters! Ya!grinning smiley

hot smiley

Corventure Dave

Date: October 17, 2016 10:33AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Damn spell check again. Got it now..... leeters!
> Ya!grinning smiley
>
> hot smiley
>
> Corventure Dave

I got to get rid of that damned spell-check,myself.drinking smiley

Posted by: Richard ()
Date: October 17, 2016 12:35PM

"There’s no difference in meaning between liter and litre. Liter is the preferred spelling in American English, and litre is preferred in all other main varieties of English"

Date: October 17, 2016 02:33PM

Richard Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "There’s no difference in meaning between liter
> and litre. Liter is the preferred spelling in
> American English, and litre is preferred in all
> other main varieties of English"

It makes me feel exotic to use European spelling and dialect.

You say "rust"?
I say "tin worm".

Date: January 10, 2017 03:56PM

Well... it's been a while since an update!
Daier's Rampside is still gracing the Man-Cave quite nicely.

I took some time away from Cave duties to help my Girlfriend do just
a couple small things to her house... like stripping "all" the popcorn
ceilings. Complete interior painting. All new 6 panel raised wood doors and hardware. And finally after all the new hardwood floors were installed, I cut and installed the new base boards throughout. No big deal!!!!!

Now back in the Cave. Some more undercarriage detailing is taking place. I have also done some adjustments to the steering and under dash wiring.
I am still pondering just for fun, putting the Metric speedometer in the Rampside. I acquired this as a gift from Paul Dupuis----.. I can only attempt his last name... of the Paris France Corvair Club, many years ago. I have had fun with it in the 64 Monza I would show back then.
I'll try to get a picture of this speedo for you local's who may have never seen one.

So progress continues.

Corventure Dave

Date: January 11, 2017 09:07AM

So here is that metric speedometer I was talking about. I have removed and stored the mechanical portion because I do not want to wear it out. The needle rides in the same position on the face as a standard speedo. 60 mph = 104.6 kph. So at actual 65 mph, this face shows about 105 km.

The odometer is geared different for kilometers. At standard highway speeds the 10ths of a kilometer really spin up!

So I am thinking of installing this in the Rampside.... just to freak out the unknowing! And yes... I do drive 160 mph in a stock Rampside!!!grinning smiley Ya.. right!eye rolling smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Current Page: 14 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.