Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 13 of 20
Re: Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: May 31, 2016 02:34PM

I posted an article for Corvanantics about this. I like to let them publish stuff before releasing it here. But basically get some copper romex wire and select a drill size that it will fit through. Going oversize will not hurt. In fact a slightly larger hole makes assembly easier.smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 02, 2016 10:12AM

Well last night I was able to hang the new exhaust system in the Rampside. Then I was able to rotate the muffler and position the tail pipe. Next I marked all the pipe fittings with a Black marker. Removed the exhaust system and weld all the pipe joints. I have never really liked the exhaust clamps.
I installed all new spark plugs and a new plug wire set. I repositioned the coil so I can mount the accessory oil bath air cleaner.
Finally to wrap up the night I put the decals on the newly powder coated air cleaner covers.

It's hard to stop and set up a camera when your on a roll working on a project alone. I'll see if I can get more pictures.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: June 02, 2016 10:17AM

Looks great!!!

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: June 02, 2016 10:24AM

Oh... I was just asked how one places these decals without getting air bubbles!
Well... here is what has worked for me over the years.

First, get an extra decal, just in case I screw one up!
I use a pie plate to soak the decal in warm water like the instructions Clark includes. But I found it takes a bit longer then the 15 seconds indicated to soak the decal. Also, as soon as the decal hits the water, the backing paper will try to curl up. Hold it flat at each corner until it's wet. I mist spray the cleaner cover with water. This allows moving the decal around and into position more easily. Carefully slide the decal off the backing paper and onto the cover surface. Be careful because the decal can fold and roll over onto its self if you work too fast. Finally, here is how I get rid of the bubbles.eye popping smiley

I use the decal backing paper as a squeegee to carefully work out any trapped air under the decal. "See picture in previous post". Once the decal is in position... stop and walk away. Getting in a hurry to dry the surface can mess up the decal. In the morning the covers and new decals can be wiped down and cleaned up. If all goes well, that extra decal can go in the decal and other spare parts drawer!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: June 02, 2016 11:05AM

It's the "walk away" step that most of us have a hard time following. Good job!

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: June 06, 2016 08:01AM

I may have mentioned, over the years I have made or acquired tools to work on my Corvair's. Here is another one. About 1978, using old bed frames, some scrap metal, plywood, expanded iron and Masonite... I assembled a bead blasting chamber. The exhaust fan is a 12 volt motor fan from some vintage airplane. I have no idea which one.confused smiley It vents outside to a 1/2 water filled bucket, to control dust. The spray nozzle is a hand held Harbor Freight cheap-o. I control the air with a foot valve made from a hand air nozzle that I mounted to a steel base. Arm holes are Corvair heater ducts with inner tube sleeves on them. Inside is a tray with the expended iron top. Finally plate glass window and an internal light mounted in a mayonnaise jar!

This thing is large enough for most parts I want to blast. It works so well that I have never had a reason to replace it! Not bad for mostly all salvaged junk!

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 08:04AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Date: June 06, 2016 08:20AM

A banner weekend! Bad thing is I missed the Central Coast Corsa Vair Fest on Saturday. Good thing is, I got the engine buttoned up. I only had one other distraction... Sunday we went to LA to see Zach Brown perform!

As you can see, I installed the FC oil bath air filter. I am not putting oil in it because I don't plan on driving the Rampside through the dirt back roads any time soon! These filters work great but they do wick up oil and can be a bit more messy than I want in this vehicle. But I like the unusual option! The hose is from McMaster Carr.
This is a 65 FC engine that I have mostly appointed to look the same vintage as the 62 Rampy. Obviously the alternator is not 62, and just a few other items, but it's close enough for a slightly modified Corvair.
I also fabricated up a 65 PCV port instead of the PCV valve. It's a bit cleaner looking for me. Yep, I have the heavy 62-63 fan. Correct vintage. But with the Powerglide it does not have the flywheeling issues on the fan belt like ones with a stick shift transmission. Also this is the fan with the highest rated CFM for basic street driving conditions. So you'll also see one in my 64 Greenbrier. I like getting lot's of air in that hidden away engine compartment.

Now is just some break in driving and heading to car events that are coming up. Starting with the California Corvairs Open House... here we come!smileys with beer

Then it's on to the remaining endless little details.

Corventure Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2016 08:28AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Date: June 06, 2016 12:34PM

Looks GREAT!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: June 06, 2016 12:43PM

Wow! That's pretty Dave!

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: June 07, 2016 08:04AM

Last night I was "finally" able to take the Rampside out for a test drive and seat the rings. All went great! No leaks and the engine tho new and tight ran smoothly, even stopped at a traffic light in drive it idled smooth. I then worked on some of the other final installations. Exhaust grille, bottom engine tins and damper doors. I also installed the large transaxil cover in the bed. I have a hanger for the heater box so servicing the starter, heater hoses and like is more accessible.

One thing I am finding out is that the air cleaner decals that you soak in water, do not like sticking to powder coated surfaces. They peel off with just a light rub! I am going to have to replace them with the mylar adhesive air cleaner decals. Just a little annoyance.

The long shopping list and project work list is sure getting small! As with the beginning of this restoration, I reflect on the work done, not what has yet to be done. It has been a rewarding adventure for sure.

However.............The project continues!smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: June 07, 2016 09:38AM

Looks GREAT!!! Well done!smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Date: June 13, 2016 07:49AM

Had a great time Saturday at Jeff's California Corvairs Open House! Another great event and the burgers were again fantastic. Nice collection of cars on display and great people. Thanks Jeff!smileys with beer

A few more details on Dainers Rampside this weekend. Managed to hit rain driving home from the Calif. Corvair open house, so some cleaning was in order.
But I also decided to install the braided Neg battery cable I had set aside for this truck. Just a bit more of a historical-vintage look, I believe.

I also installed a battery disconnect. This simple disconnect works by just turning the round nob a few times. The battery cable clamps on the end so there are no modifications. It can be installed on either the Positive or Negative terminals and comes with + or - plugs like you see on mine. Vary convenient!

Finally... I never have got a definitive answer to the ashtray handles as to some saying ashtray and others are just blank. Any more clues out there?confused smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: July 14, 2016 09:18AM

So driving to events around the area. And knowing the stone chips I can get on the So. Calif. highways. I resurrected an old trick I used to do with my concours car's.

There used to be car bra's available for FC's. Some seemed to work. Others just did not fit well. For my Early convertible I made these things up and painted them body color.
What this stuff is, is basically magnetic sign sheets. The kind of stuff used on vehicle doors for business advertising. I only have half of these installed for these pictures.
It is available from suppliers like McMaster Carr in various thickness and magnetic strengths. I found the thinner material does not hold vary well. Probably because of the thin magnetic layer of the sheet. But the thicker ones work great. They can be cut to size and even molded to curves of the body with hair dryer. If one should blow off at highway speed, it's no big deal because the cost is rather low.
These I made up for under $60. For events I store them in a cardboard folder. AT home they store away nicely on the side of my tool box, cloths washer or dryer. It's a good idea to keep magnetic things like this stored sticking to metal. This is to keep them from losing their magnetic hold.

With the investment I put into this Rampside's finish. I'm trying to keep it nice for as long as possible.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: July 14, 2016 11:07AM

For modern cars, they make a "clear bra" that basically sticks to the car without harming the paint. I wonder if one could be custom made for the Rampside? Probably $$$ but I bet it can be done.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Date: July 14, 2016 11:55AM

I have long been a proponent of Clear Bra's!eye popping smiley

grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Corvenure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: July 14, 2016 12:54PM

You could also try "3Mâ„¢ Paint Defender Spray Film".

It sprays on, dries clear and can be pealed off.

3M Spray Film

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2016 12:56PM by Richard.

Date: July 14, 2016 03:27PM

The idea is for temporary protection between events. That could be a couple a weekend. Depending on driving locations. Good alternative ideas tho.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Date: August 10, 2016 10:59AM

Well... had a nice weekend, this past. I had been planning on getting back up to Lompoc, Ca for a while. Wanted to take Dad's "Dainers" Rampside up to the cemetery to Mom and Dad's resting place. BY the by... my Niece has the same Birthday as my Mom. For many years they would get a picture together in the same colorful straw hats. My Niece has continued to carry out this tradition, going to the cemetery each year. So last Sunday was tradition day.

We left Saturday for the 100 mile trip North. The Rampside runs sweet especially with the renew-d engine. I have just over 400 miles on the rebuild. Once in town we drove to a couple Antique car club members who remember my Dad and his truck. Saturday night was with family and birthday for my Niece. Sunday was off to the cemetery. Monday was the 100 mile trip back home. We missed the traffic in Santa Barbara. Drove right up to my house and I stopped in the driveway. But...."So did the engine"!

A couple of re-starts felt like a no fuel situation. The electric fuel pump was running continuously. It also sounded louder than normal. So I pulled the air cleaners and blipped the throttle. No squirt of gas in either Carb. Yep.... the electric fuel pump decided to turn into a frog and croak at about the most convenient place it could! Or... is Dad still looking over the Rampy?
I like to think the later!winking smiley

I always try to keep spare parts on hand. Even tho I didn't have a fuel pump with me on this trip, I had one right in my garage. The swap only took a few minutes.drinking smiley Dainers Rampy is back running sweet.

Now it's time for some undercarriage detailing. Thanks for watching out for us Dad!thumbs up

On the road again.smiling bouncing smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: ken ()
Date: August 10, 2016 01:10PM

I had a Carter on my Rampside that didn't last a month . Motohead recommended a good electric pump but I can't remember the brand name . I think that I am going to have a spare that is all made up ( lines ,clamps and plug type wire connectors ) for a quick change in case I need it. I thought about running two pumps in parallel with a switch so that if one fails I could just switch from A to B pump.

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 10, 2016 01:30PM

ken Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a Carter on my Rampside that didn't last a
> month . Motohead recommended a good electric pump
> but I can't remember the brand name . I think
> that I am going to have a spare that is all made
> up ( lines ,clamps and plug type wire connectors
> ) for a quick change in case I need it. I
> thought about running two pumps in parallel with a
> switch so that if one fails I could just switch
> from A to B pump.

The Carter electric pump looks like the Airtex unit, but when I tried them both the Carter unit was much louder. I went with the Airtex, so far so good.

Current Page: 13 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.