Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 11 of 20
Re: Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 25, 2016 08:18AM

AY Sixty2Rampside...thanks for the bump back to page 1.smileys with beer At least for now!

My Greenbrier is a custom color in Imron. Can't get that paint in Kalyphornya any more. What I did was close match the original metallic color with w straight color.
Today the paint is almost 10 years old. Easy to color sand and polish. Imron is also vary durable and road chipstouch up easily.

Rampside project has been at a pause for a while. Priority is to get 580 square feet of porcelain tile set in the entry and new family room floors. Was going to have it done to save my abused knees and get to play with the Rampy., But I found that most tire setters are afraid to do a Herring Bone pattern! No one wanted to do it. So I'm once again laying it all in myself. And they call themselves professionals?eye rolling smiley
Rampside project will continue in a few weeks. Will post.

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 08:20AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 25, 2016 03:44PM

Great job on the tile. I just a kitchen like that for a customer. She loved it. Most guys won't do it because it involves a little planning. They just want to get in, slam it down, and get paid. Lazy in my opinion.

Dave

Date: January 25, 2016 04:30PM

You hit it on the head Dave.thumbs up

It's hard to find true craftsman these days. So I have to rely on the fact that I can do things like this myself... and do it at least as "BAD" as the so called professionals around here!grinning smiley
Turned the corner this weekend, into the family room. Have about 30 sq ft of whole tiles to go. Then do all the cuts to fill the edges. It's not hard to do. Just takes a little thinking and proper measuring to keep the pattern in line... just as you said.

Oh then comes allll the grouting!eye popping smiley Can't wait to not be living in a construction zone! At least my Man-Cave garage is done.smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2016 04:31PM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: January 25, 2016 04:35PM

Sweet, Good job Dave

Steve Morton
1961 Rampside, 67 and 2 1964 Monzas

Morton's Classic Garage
Parts and Service
Nampa, Idaho 83686
40+ Corvairs and a semi trailer full
of parts

Mortonsclassicgarage@gmail.com
[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: quorvair ()
Date: January 26, 2016 04:52AM

Nice Job Dave..!!

The floor layout give so much character to the room...

Congrats..!!

Daniel Vallée
1961 Rampside 140PG
Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Québec, CANADA

Date: February 26, 2016 07:54AM

Dainers Rampside has some new room mates! Well... at least for a coupe days!

It was back to Saticoy Paint shop to touch up the dumb dumb chips I put in the paint while assembling the Rampy. Ya I know... bound to happen because it's no trailer queen!
Any who... as I said before, this shop is a great place just to check out the projects going on. The Yenko is a tribute car. But done vary nicely, Even the interior is sporting the Yenko Logo. I would like to take that Red one home! And that Studebaker... Have you seen the show Bitchin Rides? The Studebaker has those Dave Kindig flush outside door handles. I'm not sure how many other things were done from that shop.

So in a little while I will be picking up the Rampside and bringing it back home. I removed some trim to make their job easier. I got this strange 4in long scratch right under the Right side Corvair 95 emblem. Have no idea how that got there. It's almost a protected spot. But strange things happen!
Once back home, it will be time to address the engine project.

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2016 07:59AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 26, 2016 08:23AM

Dave, love the flooring! I had a guy in MN that would do that. Very meticulous. Nice work!

Cool Stude too! Nicely done.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: March 07, 2016 08:10AM

Well... Lookee who came home from the paint shop this Saturday! I had a few Boo Boo chips touched up that I managed to put in the paint when assembling. One was just under the Right hand door emblem. I have no idea how that got there. Also there were a couple chips from driving on the highway, out to Chino and last years California Corvair's Open House. Those kind of things are mostly unavoidable and I know I will get more because I drive to events.

All of the front trim, but the bumper, I had removed for the painter. So most of the weekend I was re-installing the shiny stuff. Now I'm sorting the engine parts I have stashed away for that project. I have been asked to display my Greenbrier at the local Murphy Auto Museum. This display of Air Cooled Car's will run from April to June. What a perfect opportunity to take advantage of the open bay in my garage, and build the fresh engine for Dainer's Rampside!
So that will be the next project with this FC. I plan on having the engine done and detailed in time for Spring events coming up. The saga continues!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: March 07, 2016 08:48AM

smileys with beer LOOKS AWESOME

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: March 16, 2016 07:56AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do Corvair FC's have rocker panels? Well... sort
> of! High pressure air followed by a shop vacuum...
> repeat.
> It is amazing how much sand and dirt gets in these
> places. There is a nice plastic plug in frontto
> gain access. You will notice I removed the lower
> corner panels. They are body screwed in place.
> After cleaning i coated the inside with a rust
> converter. After that had dried, I painted inside
> with a protective Red-Oxide primer. No rust holes
> here.
>
> Corventure Dave

Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check mine out.

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible (SOLD)
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: April 29, 2016 08:56AM

I finally have the opportunity to get some serious work done on the Dainers Rampside. Have been doing little details here and there, but work and finishing house stuff has kept me busy and away from the fun.
I recently got a call from a small local Auto Museum. They are having a special display of Air Cooled cars, running from now until mid June. They wanted a couple Corvair's. Jeff Ballard has his 64 Spyder displayed just inside the front door next to a Franklin. My 64 Greenbrier is just around the corner in the entry way of the main show room. Talk about great timing! I now have an extra 1/2 a garage to do this engine work, until June. Should be plenty of time.

So far I have top stripped the Rampside engine. This is a 1965 true FC engine. It has not been apart in 26 - 27 years. Dad didn't put a lot of miles on it. I would say less than 10,000 over that period of time. But I serviced it often. I would bring it home a couple times a year to check and service. You can see by the crankcase that it's going to be an easy cleanup. The cylinders still show hash marks from honing. These were NOS Jugs Dad installed. I'll get more pictures this weekend. I have the Rampy on my EZ Car Lift and about everything has been removed so it's ready to drop out. There will be a lot of clean up and painting. Engine compartment detailing and also the upgrades I want to do to the engine.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: May 02, 2016 09:32AM

Oh, by the way... my back can't take this like it used to!!!
One thing about the Rampsides and Loadsides, is the tail gate you have to work over. I sometimes remove it to get better access if there is a lot of work to be done. With the Rampy here, I did not want to disturb the paint eound the hinge bolts. Especially after the fresh paint job! SO I'll do it the hard way.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: May 02, 2016 09:48AM

It's amazing what you find. This engine was running beautifully. Not a miss or hick-up. But because it had not been apart in over two decades, I wanted to get inside and freshen things up.
Sometimes the advice of.. "if it runs ok, leave it alone" does not hold true. Especially after all that time.
I guessed that Dad put only about 10,000 miles on this engine. But talking with my brother, he reminded me about some long-ish out of town trips they made to pick up whatever! Also looking at my service records, it looks like closer to 20,000+ miles is in order. Regardless, I'm a digging in!

This past weekend was disassembly time!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: May 02, 2016 09:53AM

Oil pan coming off. I didn't find much in the line of sludge in the pan. In fact it was quite clean.
What I did find was this! We know where that came from!

Again the engine ran fine. Even at a stop light idling. It ran smooth.
The cam gear is OEM and only shows minor wear to the teeth. The crankcase is only slightly yellowed.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: May 02, 2016 10:04AM

Splitting the halves!

Rod and main bearings look nearly new. No adverse wear. The crankcase in general looks great too.

Dad had installed a NOS Cylinder and Piston set. I checked the pistons for cracks and they all look great. I will be installing forged pistons anyway.
Also I will be replacing the OEM cast Cam gear with a billet gear.
The heads look great. Dad installed Bronze guides and new seats already. Guides and valves all check out, so these heads will go back in.

Now it's time for a lot of cleaning. I hope to start assembly next week. Have an interruption trip coming up in a couple days.angry smiley That will break up my Man-Cave play time!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: May 02, 2016 10:15AM

Looks like you are having a lot of fun!

Dave

Posted by: ROD ()
Date: May 02, 2016 12:26PM

That beautiful rampy deserves it ! thumbs up

Your slipping Corventuredave ... I almost see you smiling holding the case half.

Rod Tetrault
El Cajon , CA
65 Corsa Yenko Clone / 65 Corsa EO Creampuff Vert
66 Corsa "JIMISH" Mid engine Turbo LS1 currently 2nd fastest Corvair in the USA
Corvair powered Buggy x 3
Enough hidden parts to build a space ship

Date: May 02, 2016 12:30PM

Kind of melancholy. I'm removing every bolt and fastener that my Dad installed back then. It's true to his methods. Most are over tightened! That was his way. Gotta love him!cool smiley

Dad at 90.

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 12:32PM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Date: May 02, 2016 12:33PM

Ay Rod,

I always smile. Can't you tell?

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Date: May 10, 2016 10:40AM

Don't you make fun of my Dingle Ball's!!!eye popping smiley

I have used this Dingle Ball Hone on countless Corvair engines over the past 40 years. I only use it on Corvair cylinders. It was a great investment and does a vary good job on cylinders that are in good condition.

The Cyl's from the Rampside were as I had expected. Standard bore, low mileage, no scoring, no ridge, no pitting.smiling bouncing smiley

Just a good cleaning up and honing and they are ready to check ring gap's.
These were from a NOS Cylinder - piston - and ring set. The Jug's each have a sleeve that could be removed for 1964 application, " The smaller head gasket area". This is a 1965 Fc engine.

I will be appointing the engine with many 1962 year correct parts like sheet metal, fan, no belt guide on the fan shroud. It will retain the solid state Delco alternator we adapted years ago.

More engine progress to come!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Current Page: 11 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.