Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 16
Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 04, 2014 10:52AM

I have been asked for quite a while to post progess reports on the restoration project I am doing on my Fathers 62 Rampside Pickup.
Well... so far it has taken a little over a year to get to this point, and I'm sure it will take another year to get it back on the road. The biggest problem I have is that I am having to spend sooo much wasted time doing stupid stuff like making a living... eating.... and sleeping!!!angry smiley
Just think of all I could get done if I was not so limited my those other worthless responsibilities!

Any who... The Rampy was-is in pretty good condition when it arrived at my house. Dad is 90 as of this month, and not driving. He has had the Rampy for over 26 years, so it's a family heirloom that will stay here for years to come.
The drivetrain we have restored over the years, so it runs quite nice. I converted it from the origional 3spd to a Powerglide 23 years ago. Dad likes that. As a So. Calif vehicle, rust was limited, however Dad had it painted a few times and the painters liked to fill holes with Bondo! So the project now is stripping to metal, repairing the panels and preping for paint. Lots of body filler has had to be removed and rust-pin holes welded up. I counted over 80 holes after extracting the filler!
I will post more pictures catching up to where I am now. The first job was to start removing all of the chrome, bumpers, trim and glass.

You can see the firat real body welding job was filling the antenna hole that Dad had mounted on the Left front panel. I always thought it was an annoying distraction having the antenna there. So I sanded all the paint away from the antenna hole, cut some steel to fill and welded it in.Then came some more metal working before the thin layor of filler was applied. And that only left several hours priming and sanding the area to make it look origional again.

I think another reason I'm spending so much time on each panel, is the fact that I hate to pay someone to do body work as bad or worse than I can do!eye popping smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley
Actually I have many years experience with welding and body work. There is a lot of pleasure in accomplishing something by doing it yourself.

More posts to come as I have time.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dainer's Rampy Project
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: February 04, 2014 11:02AM

Rampsides rule...I almost like Philside better than Striper!!!

Paso Robles CA-Unsafe at Any Landspeed-Sidewinders (SCTA Charter Member 1934)-CORSA Member-Central Coast Corsa-Ventura County Corvair-V8 Registry-Corvanatics-California Angels Fan Since 1978...World Series Champions 2002 & 9 AL West Division Titles-So Cal Gas Since 1974 (Now Retired Again) Rehired as Contractor Seasonally-Baddest Street Legal Corvair on the Planet is SuperVair (AKA Vairy V8) ADE 506 Cube BBC/PG/QC L/M Coupe-1963 Deluxe Rampside (AKA PhilSide2)-148.253 MPH Landspeed F/BGALT Late Model Coupe-B&M Blown Methanol 3.1L Mid Engine Funco Sandrail-1965 Ugly Duck 110/PG Monza Coupe Parts Car-2013 Ford F250 Super Duty XLT Four Door Crew Cab Short Bed 6.7 Powerstroke-Grand Design Momuntum 350M Luxury Toy Hauler-When I Grow Up I'm Selling Everything and Buying a Vintage Triple Weber 911S Because I'll Never be Able to Afford the Miura!!!

Posted by: hames57 ()
Date: February 04, 2014 11:10AM

More in progress pix please. I've got the same antenna hole fill problem you have. It would be nice to see how you did the welds on that hole and on those 80 pinholes. I'm just learning this stuff as I go. I do have a body friend who stops by and says thats good or do some more. But pix of others is a great help.

Never let ignorance interfere with the opportunity to offer a knowledgeable opinion.
61 Rampside #1 110 car engine 4 speed xmission working on making it go.
61 Rampside #2 110 car engine 4 speed xmission waiting its turn.
Got em cheap and having a ball with truly unique trucks.

Harry, KG7RC

Date: February 04, 2014 12:43PM

I have old school tools at home. So no MIG or TIG welders. I would hardly need them at home. So my old school process uses welding with gas, Oxy Acetylene. I can use this on many more projects here at home than a wire feed system.

Shown is welding up holes Dad drilled in the Engine lid. The basic process I have used for 40 yers.
First is to grind and clean up the hole and then cut a metal filler from spare metal.
Insert filler into hole. On body panels the filler can be held in place by a magnet in the back side.
Next I weld. Sometimes with steel rod and sometimes brass. I use as little flux as possible and remove most from coated rod so there is less residue to haunt me later.
After welding is cleaning up and grinding excess material away. Metal working with body hammer's and sanding. Many times I sand blast the welded area to remove traces of flux or other cantaminants before first primer-sealer coat of paint.

Corventure Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 12:50PM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Date: February 04, 2014 12:49PM

More from above,
I know there are more modern and efficient methods to do this. But I am using the tools I have at home and aq simple process that has worked for many years. My Greenbrier has welded rust pin holes and some body repairs that have not come back with any issues for as long as I have owned it.... and that's more than 30 years.smoking smiley

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Date: February 04, 2014 01:00PM

Oop's... this one should be photo #2!

Attachments:
Posted by: rowin4 ()
Date: February 04, 2014 01:11PM

Tens of thousands of cars have been repaired with brazing rust hole closed and the replacement of body panels. The next post probably will condem you for doing that. The new high tech guys would rather tig or mig which I find harder to do on some applications. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Date: February 04, 2014 01:20PM

I'm Southern California Gas Company pipeline acetylene weld trained.

Ever weld on live 40# PSI natural gas pipeline...quite the experience.

I did it every day for years in the Distribution Department as a Crew Leader.

Date: February 04, 2014 01:24PM

Forgot to say those acetylene welds I made had to hold up to a 100# PSI pressure test.

Date: February 07, 2014 09:17AM

Do Corvair FC's have rocker panels? Well... sort of! High pressure air followed by a shop vacuum... repeat.
It is amazing how much sand and dirt gets in these places. There is a nice plastic plug in frontto gain access. You will notice I removed the lower corner panels. They are body screwed in place.
After cleaning i coated the inside with a rust converter. After that had dried, I painted inside with a protective Red-Oxide primer. No rust holes here.

Corventure Dave

Attachments:
Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: February 07, 2014 10:56AM

Good job! Thanks for the pictures and the updates.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: February 07, 2014 11:37AM

The bottom of the tailgate had no rust through. However there was a bubbling of junk and internal rust pushing the body metal apart at the bottom where the sheet metal comes together.
I used a Dremel cut off wheel and cut 3 sided notches through the back metal. This way I could fold the metal up and get to the effected areas. I removed all the rust and debris. Neutralized any surface rust with a rust converter. Folded the metal back and welded up the cuts. I then sprayed rust converting Red Oxide primer down into the inside area of the repairs, through the tailgate latch openings. I sprayed enough to have it run out the corners.
Final grinding the welds and finishing the welded areas with the primer sealer.

Move on to to another area!

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 11:39AM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 07, 2014 01:22PM

thanks for the pics. What do you use for the rust converter?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: February 07, 2014 03:21PM

Rust converter... well... thay don't make the good stuff anymore. I have a old gallon of Steel-Coat. It looks like tea. Years ago it was advertised as Trustan-7. This is no longer available because we are saving the earth!!!
The converter's that are available today are like a white creamy solution, regardless the brand. They also work but are thicker and do not to get into tight places or penitrate oxidised surfaces like the old liquid tea.
Regardless... I think it is a good idea to flush hidden areas with rust converter before painting with a primer sealer.

I like To use Rust Destroyer red oxide primer. It has a rust converting additive and can be sanded if used on outer surfaces. Have to let it dry for a week or so before sanding, for best results. But on inner fenders, doors, rockers and other inside places it is great.

So what's a guy from So. Calif know about rust??? I used to live in Upstate New York, in Tom-Z's neck of the woods, before escaping back to the left coast.

Corventure Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2014 03:26PM by corventure Dave.

Attachments:
Date: February 11, 2014 11:46AM

One of the things I have been wanting to do for a long time is finish the bed side covers. Factory origional,the side plates are only covering over the wheel wells and sealing the fenders for he air intakes. Behind the driver, the upper section of the outer fender is exposed.
Filling this in and making it look like Chevy Truck did it, took just a little fabrication
First Jeff Williams of California Corvaire supplied me with two extra additional panels. I wanted the origional panels so the rolled edges would match. One panel is just not long enough to reach all the way to the cab.
I sheared one of my origional panel ends off to fit under the overlap. The new panel I shearedand the other end to to fit underthe final short plate over-lap. Finally I had to shape the end piece fit up to the back of the cab. A cardboard template worked here to get the right shape..
I had to install nut-inserts in the new area. Also fabricated tabs to hold the lower nut-inserts. It was critical to mount these tabs in the proper spaces. After marking where the nut-inserts neeeded to go, these were removed, inserts installed and everything was re-installed for fit. Not bad.... only about 4 1/2 hours to get things all cut and fit in right. Now I have the finished look I was going for.
I will be replacing all of the bolts and fasteners in the truck bed with allen-button head stainless bolts.

Now comes more of the biggest time burner... MORE prep for paint!

Corventure Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 11, 2014 07:57PM

What a great idea! That does look factory finished and correct, and it will keep dirt out of the sides too.

Posted by: Corveric ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:13AM

Hi Dave,
That's looking really good. Yours is only the second one I have seen with this kind of treatment and I think it is an essential modification! I will attach a link below to pictures of what I did. Very similar, I used two pieces, trimmed them to the correct length while keeping that subtle body panel line, welded them into a single piece,then mounted them with a hinge so that the section opens.
This was detailed in the Corvanantics Publication of 9-10-11.

Go to my website, choose Galleries, then scroll down to the one named Corveric Boxside Door. Click on any of the pictures to enlarge them.

[www.corveric.com]

Posted by: hames57 ()
Date: February 13, 2014 09:27AM

Corveric, it looks like you've done something different with the top of the ramp. No rubber, something different??

Never let ignorance interfere with the opportunity to offer a knowledgeable opinion.
61 Rampside #1 110 car engine 4 speed xmission working on making it go.
61 Rampside #2 110 car engine 4 speed xmission waiting its turn.
Got em cheap and having a ball with truly unique trucks.

Harry, KG7RC

Date: February 14, 2014 06:36AM

Yeah, that is just a solid piece of aluminium flat bar 3/4" x 2-1/2" that I dadoed out on the bottom to fit over the pinch weld then bolted through. Just a different look.
A few other mods too...Level deck, hinged engine cover, lowered, "bucket" style bench seat with seat belts. I just keep spending money and time.But I love it!

Eric
Langley, BC, Canada

Date: February 14, 2014 06:36AM

Yeah, that is just a solid piece of aluminium flat bar 3/4" x 2-1/2" that I dadoed out on the bottom to fit over the pinch weld then bolted through. Just a different look.
A few other mods too...Level deck, hinged engine cover, lowered, "bucket" style bench seat with seat belts. I just keep spending money and time.But I love it!

Eric
Langley, BC, Canada

Current Page: 1 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.