Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fake PF-4 Oil filter stickers on ebay
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 29, 2014 02:30PM

Now you can fool all of those picky concours judges at the car shows. NOT!

Wonder if they fall off when the oil gets warm? According to the auction info someone is buying them.

[www.ebay.com]

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fake PF-4 Oil filter stickers on ebay
Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: January 29, 2014 03:27PM

People are enterprising... Close, but no cigar...

Front and back - rotated 180*.

Attachments:

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: January 29, 2014 03:30PM

I think its a good idea for a street driverthumbs up

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 30, 2014 08:27AM

I agree with Mel. Why not?

Corventure Dave

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: January 30, 2014 08:34AM

Id be tempted to try it. Napa/WIX filters come in white with black or blue decals that easily rub off with a little lacquer thinner, leaving you a clean white filter. I wouldnt be surprised if the stickers didnt last, but for the price its worth a shot

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa factory turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
66 Monza 95/PG coupe project FOR SALE
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, five Jeep FC 170s, 66 CJ5A, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, 3 vintage Honda 50cc minibikes, 4 Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: January 30, 2014 08:41AM

I'd have to check current CORSA concours rules but as I recall there was a tiny point value for an AC filter and Delco battery but only as a tie-breaker.

A clean "Fram" filter would score the same points as a clean AC filter. CORSA concours rules are about cleanliness, not originality. Modifications from original put the car in different classes but don't count against the car's score.

Having said that, I think the sticker is a clever idea, provided you can find a white oil filter to put it on.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: January 30, 2014 08:54AM

cnicol Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd have to check current CORSA concours rules but
> as I recall there was a tiny point value for an AC
> filter and Delco battery but only as a
> tie-breaker.
>

At one point there was a "premium" for using a white PF-4 on a concours car - 1980's?.

I think it was most important for cars trying to get in the Factory Stock class (or whatever it was called then). Same for the Delco battery.

But, I think that the original 1960's PF-4 was black???

As for the sticker - it does not exactly match a white PF-4 filter - see my pics above... Not that it really matters - except to those who think the reproduced stickers are original...

Nowadays, with a printer and decal paper, you can make up whatever you want.

Date: January 30, 2014 09:05AM

Just had some fun on eBay - with eBay "links" to similar parts -- someone is selling a white PF-4 for $125.00... Another seller is selling the blue PF-4 oil filter as NOS - NOS in the 1980's / 1990's lol.

Also, checked the current CORSA Concours rules - No "premium" - a AC PF-4 filter is required for Factory Stock classes -- as well as AC air filter and Delco battery + other items. Does not specify white / color...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 09:14AM by RobertC.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: January 30, 2014 09:37AM

I see the sticker as what it is. An origional White filter is painted anyway, so the sticker would be obvious. But like sweet66 said. A NAPA or Clarks filter could at least have an origional look. Most of us don;t have bone stock Corvairs anyway.

I run a V8 spin-on filter with the adapter in my Greenbrier. It gives me a full 5 gts of oil.
On the Rampy I may do the same, however I did collect a bunch of the AC Blue filters back in the 1980's when Pep-Boys had them on sale for $2.50 ea. I have kept them stored in a nice clean dry place.

Corventure Dave

Date: June 14, 2014 12:53PM

Well, for $8 shipped for three and having a pile of white Napa filters, i went for it.

it is definitely a thin vinyl sticker and I got a few small wrinkles putting it on (just like every sticker ive ever applied in my life, I am sure the blems can be avoided) but now that its on the filter, it seems stuck. Ill report back on how well it holds up to heat, driving, and cleanup for car shows. If my heads ever get done, y'all will have to check out how well the sticker holds up in Tacoma.

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, five Jeep FC 170s, 66 CJ5A, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, 3 vintage Honda 50cc minibikes, 4 Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: June 14, 2014 10:50PM

I see the problem, Cody. It looks too good!

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: June 15, 2014 04:38AM

To put stickers on straight, and without wrinkles, apply a fine mist of water with shampoo to where the sticker goes, then apply the sticker. when it is all lined up, squegee out all of the water.

For this particular purpose, with the owner putting on his sticker, I'm not against this, but I see hundreds of filters where stickers like this are made and applied to chineese junk for people to sell as quality filter company names.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Date: December 23, 2014 06:55PM

UPDATE: my first oil change got cut a bit short (fuel pump failure), but in 600 miles/one full engine bay detail it held up surprisingly well, NO new flaws other than my own. Not bad for $3

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Attachments:
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: December 24, 2014 07:27PM

Cool... Someone can make ones that have a spelling error, just to see if the judges discover it

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: December 25, 2014 04:53AM

What is the difference in the white and blue filter. Did it indicate a filter manufactured in a different time frame? I had blue a/c pf-4's for awhile, until I ran out. Dad had them in stock for oil changes.

I also picked up a number of them from a Chevy dealer, that was also a corvair owner, he kept all his corvair stock for his personal use when people stopped buying parts, back in the day.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Posted by: teddbrown ()
Date: December 25, 2014 06:17AM

I think it is way cool. It wont make a cheap filter better, but it would make my regular filter have a lot of cool factor at shows.

Ted

Date: December 25, 2014 08:42AM

GWLee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the difference in the white and blue
> filter. Did it indicate a filter manufactured in a
> different time frame? I had blue a/c pf-4's for
> awhile, until I ran out. Dad had them in stock for
> oil changes.
>

It is time frame - and a memory test (for me).

I am not sure of the actual time frame, but the white filter was available in the 70's (maybe late 60's???)

You could buy them from parts stores (very few chains at that time) that carried AC Delco parts - as well as GM dealers.

I do not remember exactly when AC Delco changed to the blue filter - middle / late 70's or later???.

I vaguely recall that there was a "demand" for the white oil filter - late 70's - early 80's - because the Corsa concours rules at the time - "gave a point" / "some preference' if you had the filter (same with Delco battery) - even though I believe that the Corvair came from the factory with a black filter (real feeble memory - maybe from someone's GM crate engine).

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: December 25, 2014 10:46AM

The first blue replacement filter that I remember was an AC that was issued in 1962. GM used the black filters on all engines installed at the factory, to the best of my knowledge. I believe that they only offered the black filter for about 2 years (1960 - 1961), and then stopped. I was told that the reasoning behind the black filters, is that the car was required to have an oil and filter change after xxxx miles, and that if the car came in for warranty engine work after that mileage with a black filter, they could tell that the oil change didn't happen. To this day, car manufacturers are still doing this on new cars, since oil changes are so important.

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: December 25, 2014 12:29PM

In regards to negligent owner, back in the '90s, I worked at a Jeep/Eagle Dealership.
We had a turbo Eagle Talon come through the shop on a trade-in inspection.
18,000 miles on the factory ORIGINAL oil filter.

Yeah, we wholesaled that puppy right outta there!

Date: February 19, 2018 06:07PM

Going through old posts, I figured Id post another update. The decals are still avaliable under a current search even though the OP is 4 years old.

I have been using these like crazy, even on my driver and customer cars. Theyre cheap and i STILL havent had an adhesion issue. I am not sure of they would hold up to a power washer, but I never let anything get dirty enough to find out. Overall I am glad these were posted here. At shows several people have been surprised im running a NOS filter even though id never think to trust one

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2018 06:08PM by sweet66monza.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.