home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 34 of 34
Re: Nickshu's '64 Spyder Restoration Thread
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: July 03, 2017 01:10AM

gregb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Nick, fantastic job! I am wondering if you
> could explain the technical reasons for going to
> the 95HP heads. The obvious benefit is no more
> pinging but what is the change that does this, is
> the compression lowered, does the quench area
> change. Shade tree mechanic wants to know.
> Thanks

95hp and early turbo heads (62-63) are closed chamber cylinder heads. Take a look at the preceeding photos in the thread. The closed chamber heads have a sqush area at the bottom. As it turns out the problem with pinging/spark knock/pre ignition has less to do with the compression ratio and more to do with the combustion chamber design.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cepak ()
Date: July 03, 2017 06:58AM

Great job. It looks fantastic. I'll be over in the next couple of hours to pick it up. winking smiley

Tom Cepak
Fort Worth, TX

Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:18AM

I have gotten some PMs from members asking how the car is doing so I'm posting an update. I have about 2000 miles on the engine now since the re-rebuild and it's running great. The engine is quiet and consistent, no pinging, and great power. I drive the car to work when the weather is nice and on the weekends. I have the YH dialed in that it starts easily in all temperatures (if the bowl is full) and the turbo is loving the cooler air as we get into winter here. The Safeguard is doing a great job of protecting the engine under boost. Right now Ken Hand is building me an F/B flow turbo with the ceramic coated backing plate and exhaust housing I have had sitting on the shelf for a couple years now.

I had clearmask and ceramic paint and chrome coating done on the car to protect the paint and chrome, including the KH wire wheels using the OptiCoat Pro+ product. I have had this done on other cars with excellent results, it's like the worlds best wax job and it lasts 6-8 years.

Here's the front trim all removed so Clearmask could be installed behind everything:

This winter I'll be converting to an electric fuel pump and I'm going to try the Revolution Electronics fuel pump controller that will auto-fill the bowl when the key is turned on and uses RPM as the input. This can be hidden under the dash so no issues with looking not stock. I'll be doing a fuel pump center bypass plate (the one from Clarks) so the engine bay retains the stock look. Pump will be the 1-4 PSI Facet cube.

Here's a link to the Revolution electronics product: [www.revolutionelectronics.com]

I also bought a Roger Parent ball bearing accelerator linkage kit and his billet aluminum clutch and parking brake pulleys, so I'll be installing those.

Today I'm hard-wiring in two USB ports under the dash to power my phone, GPS, and Bose bluetooth speaker that I mounted under the dash using a GoPro camera clip so I can just clip it off to return to a stock look. Good stuff!!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/COG Supporting Member/US Navy Veteran
Northern Colorado, USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 07:19AM by Nickshu.

Posted by: toms73novass ()
Date: November 12, 2017 07:47AM

Looks Awesome! I'll be using some of you tricks when completing my car. thumbs up

-Tom

63' Monza Spyder Convertable (in process)
73' NovaSS 454 Big block
86' BMW 325es
98' Dodge 2500 12v Cummins Diesel with 1200 lb torque!
98' VW Jetta TDI, for daughter
01' Audi Allroad Stage 3 twin turbo

NFCC
Grand Island, NY

Current Page: 34 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.