home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 31 of 34
Re: Nickshu's '64 Spyder Restoration Thread
Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: November 17, 2016 02:44PM

Hang in there Nick. With any luck, after you get the kinks worked out, you will have 20+ years of rock solid performance. The only issue I have these days is a small oil leak that I have been unable to track down.

Maybe I should fly down and help you... my semester ends in two weeks and I have a month off. :-)

1964 Spyder Convertible, Laurinburg North Carolina
Restoration Website: [www.corvairspyder.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nickshu ()
Date: November 19, 2016 04:21AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bummer!! Some Builds are like this though...
> try to beat you to death!

Well this one certainly is! At least winter is here and the car is laid up anyhow.

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Recreational Mechanic/CORSA Member/US Navy Veteran
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: November 19, 2016 04:22AM

Joe West Wrote:
> Hang in there Nick. With any luck, after you get
> the kinks worked out, you will have 20+ years of
> rock solid performance. The only issue I have
> these days is a small oil leak that I have been
> unable to track down.
>
> Maybe I should fly down and help you... my
> semester ends in two weeks and I have a month off.
> :-)

I'll be here Joe, come on by!

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Other cars: 2003 Porsche 996.2 Carrera; Boring daily drivers; 2005 Lotus Elise supercharged (SOLD); 1982 Porsche 911SC (SOLD)
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: junkman ()
Date: November 19, 2016 01:28PM

I have a picture of my Corvair hanging on the wall, and I have speedy dry on the floor against the wall, to catch the drips. It isn't a Corvair if it doesn't leak oil.

Date: December 01, 2016 06:33AM

Hi Guys I got the engine back apart w/ the heads off. Looking down all the cylinders there are scuff marks on the top and bottom on all but #6 which is the one I replaced 500 miles ago, it looks like new inside.

I have only pulled #3 out so far which was the noise source. Here is the carnage. Much worse than #6 was last time.

Any ideas on the possible cause?

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: December 01, 2016 06:38AM

Hey Nick, you did not show me that head, looks like the top of the piston was hitting the head?

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: December 01, 2016 07:11AM

Only #3 looks like that. #1 has a little strike in the same spot but very minimal.

Deck height upon install was 0.010" below the cylinder top. I did measure that.

Yes I used base gaskets.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Darrin ()
Date: December 02, 2016 04:23AM

Man that blows. Sorry to see those Pistons.

Looks like some loose metal. May I ask what your piston to cyl clearance was? Are all the rings intact.

That car is gorgeous, but not being very nice to you. After all you have done for her!

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD

Corvairs in two states of the Union and varying states of disarray.

Northern Virginia Corvairs & Group Corvair

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: December 02, 2016 04:39AM

I have to agree with Motorhead, that piston looks like it is hitting the cylinder head. Maybe the new pistons or barrels handle thermal expansion different then they did in 1964??

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Date: December 02, 2016 05:21AM

Hi guys it appears this piece of metal in #3 is part of a valve guide.

I don't think the piston was hitting the head, it was hitting the piece of metal you see embedded in the head at the bottom in the photo above as it bounced around then finally lodged into the head.

The engine was quiet after I replaced #6 for piston slap. Then on first startup after a long drive it started banging again which after investigating was from #3.

As Matt said above, some of these builds can sure beat you up. That appears to be the case here.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: Cap'n Hook ()
Date: December 12, 2016 06:27PM

Hi Nick,
I am a brother squid and will be watching to see how you handle the rust above the lower rocker panel as I have a non-Spyder '63 ragtop with similar issues.

Randy (Cap'n) Hook

Posted by: DAVECS1 ()
Date: December 16, 2016 11:07AM

I am not sure i understand the last post from Cap n Hook. If you have read this thread, this car is one sweet piece of solid metal. Nick has pulled out all of the stops and this is one of a handful of corvairs that is as sweet or sweeter than when it rolled out of the factory.

1964 Monza Convertible
110 4 speed
Peoria, IL

Posted by: Cap'n Hook ()
Date: December 16, 2016 12:54PM

Please forgive my last post. I am a disabled vet whose brain has melted and I hate computers. Plus I am new to this phorum and still don't have much of a clue as to how it's supposed to work. My previous post was from when I saw about page 2 of this thread. I didn't realize the post would go all the way to the other end. Plus I didn't realize that post on page 2 was from almost 3 years ago. Imagine my surprise when I saw that. (So, how DO you address something you saw way back then?)
You are correct. This car is my dream car! The main difference is that I would then drive the wheels off of it for the next 20 or 30 years! (I drive my vairs year 'round.) You have inspired me more than you know!
Great job, Nick!!!
Randy (Cap'n) Hook
'63 ragtop 110/pg

Date: December 16, 2016 01:09PM

Thanks Randy, no problem! I plan to drive the wheels off of it...once I get all the kinks worked out and there have been many! As you can see I fixed the rocker panel rust with a donor body...too much to fix on the original body. The final product has zero bondo aside from a little skin for painting purposes, all solid steel. Cheers!

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: gregb ()
Date: December 16, 2016 03:25PM

Hey Nick, sorry for your luck. When I did my Spyder I ended up with five out of six cylinders looking just like yours other than the piece of metal. I did drop a valve seat but was just a block from home and there was minimal damage from it. If you figure out what caused the scuffing please let me know as I never did.

Gregb

61 Canadian Lakewood
62 Spyder Triple Black Convertible
65 Corsa Coupe

Date: December 16, 2016 04:04PM

gregb Wrote:
> Hey Nick, sorry for your luck. When I did my
> Spyder I ended up with five out of six cylinders
> looking just like yours other than the piece of
> metal. I did drop a valve seat but was just a
> block from home and there was minimal damage from
> it. If you figure out what caused the scuffing
> please let me know as I never did.

Greg it's interesting a few others have come out of the woodwork telling me they had the same problem w/ Clarks forged pistons and scuffing. One guy said he actually had a couple that had the arrow stamped backwards on the top of the piston. Seems that I am not the only one who has had this problem so needless to say I'll be going with different pistons now!

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: February 19, 2017 08:25AM

The winter slumber continues. Ken Hand is working on a set of closed chamber cylinder heads for me (either 95 or 62-63 turbo heads). Once I get those it'll be time for reassembly!

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Date: April 06, 2017 06:19AM

While waiting for my new 95 heads to come back from Ken Hand I decided to restore my seats. Disassembled the frames and sent them out for sandblasting and black epoxy primer/paint. Just got them back and dropping them at the upholstery shop later today.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Posted by: bbakerga ()
Date: April 06, 2017 06:59AM

Nick, are you having them install a Clarks set or will they be fabricating them?

Date: April 06, 2017 07:13AM

bbakerga Wrote:
> Nick, are you having them install a Clarks set or
> will they be fabricating them?

Clarks.

Nick
Northern Colorado, USA

Current Page: 31 of 34

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.