Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
actual pics of jacks in proper locations
Posted by: vairTer ()
Date: November 10, 2013 09:32PM

OK, I know this is a wimpy request, but can anyone post actual pictures of where they place their scissors jack (or bottle jack) and jack stands when they lift up either the rear or front of their Vairs? Pictures preferably with the jacks actually in position.

I have read plenty of text descriptions referring to "jacking points" or "jacking positions", but they just aren't concrete enough. I have yet to find any actual illustrative pictures taken from underneath the car. And I can't tell just how close the lifting jack and the jack stands are to one another during the lifting operation, and how much of a nuisance it is to have them simultaneously in place.

I think this would be a useful permanent reference to put in the FAQ's...

thanks from this, and all future, newbies...

Terry

1966 140 Monza PG convertible
Ventura County, CA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: actual pics of jacks in proper locations
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 10, 2013 09:46PM

Sadly few take pics of that...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 10, 2013 09:47PM

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 11, 2013 03:32AM

Here's a couple of my 1965 Monza on a two post lift.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: November 11, 2013 06:10AM

With a jack, I lift from the side on the pinch weld, alternating sides until at the desired height.
Do not lift under the powertrain as the 3 mounts are not designed to handle upwards pressure and will be ruined.
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, Mn.
CorvairRepair.com

Posted by: vairTer ()
Date: November 28, 2013 08:37PM

So I took a few pics of how I ended up doing it with a bottle jack and jack stand.

Just to document it for future newbies.

Anyone who has any comments, warnings, or suggestions, please fire away.

Terry

1966 140 Monza PG convertible
Ventura County, CA

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: November 29, 2013 02:51AM

I use a common 'lever-type' hyd jack in from the side where (I think) your stand is,in the " V " frame area, with a 3"-4" piece of 2x4 so I don't have metal to metal contact--IF I'm just changing rear wheels or minor brake work..That point will also lift the front as well..I've put a longer (18"?) 2x4 on the bottom of the rocker in that area to lift the car,and use the "V" area as a blocking point, again w/the chunk of 2x4; it keeps the jack or whatever you use to block it up from bending the pinch welds and spreads the load..on the front only,I jack under the center of the sub-frame,and block at the "T" where the angled front floor and short side piece unibody pieces join,,about where the door hinge is..to check the lower BJ's,jack under the LCA NEAR the shock (not the shock) only enough to raise the tire an inch for a crow bar..I *wouldn't* jack the front up higher from there,it *could* twist the body enough to crack the windshield..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.