Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Crankshaft seal
Posted by: Bigpig455 ()
Date: March 17, 2007 04:07PM

I'm doing my clutch, and Clarks sent me a rear main (front main?) seal with the kit. Mine's not leaking but since I've got it in hand....

Can the seal be done without removing the bellhousing as shown in the shop manual?

Are those seals prone to leakage in general? I'm not prone to disturbing things that arent broken.

Last question, as I set my engine on the bellhousing end, I had oil leak out through the crank, through the flywheel bolt nholes that were drilled and tapped all the way through, much to my surprise. Is there any specail prep for bolting the flywheel back up to prevent leakage? Thread sealer, etc....

Thanks again, Rhett

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankshaft seal
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 17, 2007 05:17PM

IF removing an engine is a "Chore" for you..replace it!

The FW bolts just require a sealer.....Loctite has a good one...

Date: March 18, 2007 06:14AM

Thanks again - So much for being lazy. Does the bellhousing have to come off or can the seal go in from the flywheel side?

Rhett

Posted by: corvairtherapy ()
Date: March 18, 2007 08:34AM

The bell housing has to come off, dont forget a new bell housing gasket.
Dave.. .

Date: March 18, 2007 11:50AM

Thanks to all again - Rhett

Posted by: steve goodman ()
Date: March 18, 2007 06:40PM

Hello Rhett: Don't you have a shop manual? you really need one to help with the torque specs and to aid in the removal of the seal. Don't forget you need a new pan gasket too, almost always the old one will be torn when you pull the bellhousing off. Plus watch the dirt and debris that will fall onto the crank and cam gears.

Best, Steve

Date: March 19, 2007 05:47AM

Steve -

I actually just got a copy that is still in one piece (my original was reduced to loose pages), and thats when I began to wonder if the seal could be inserted from either side, as the book shows it going in from the inside surface of the bellhousing, but in the context of a full overhaul.

While were on the topic - What is the best way to get the pilot bushing out of the crank? The manual shows something that looks like a self tapping puller, a search of this site refers to "Claypool's method from the Tech guide"

I was planning on using some sort of hook and hammer set up - Can anyone offer a better solution?

Thanks again, Rhett

Date: March 19, 2007 05:53AM

I use a tap and my air wrench. The tap is 5/8x16 and I use an 8 point socket to just drive it into the bushing. When it bottoms out the bushing will wind itself out of the crank. Other methods such as splitting the bushing with a small chisel will work ok too. The method of using grease or bread to hydraulic
the bushing out is pretty messy and can put an eye out if careless.

Watch your method of removing the input shaft seal from the release bearing shaft too, the shaft is cast and pretty brittle; will crack easily. DO NOT pry the support ring and the seal out.

Best, Steve

Posted by: 65CrownV8 ()
Date: March 19, 2007 05:37PM

Harbor Freight sells a pilot bushing puller for under $20.00.

[www.harborfreight.com]

George Jones - East Orlando, FL
'65 Monza V8 Convertible - 355/4-spd Posi - TT015
'66 Monza Coupe - 95/PG
'67 Monza Coupe 140/4-spd/Posi, A/C
COrvaiR Society of America (CORSA), Central Florida Corvair Club, Tidewater Corvair Club, V8 Registry

Date: March 20, 2007 04:58PM

Before I order one (my tap set only goes up to 1/2 inch) has anyone ever tried one of these? The description says it only goes down to a 3/4" ID, and sure enough the Corvair bearing is just about 5/8" ID. The tool looks great, but hate to waste the money on this aplication if I'm just going to throw it in the box.

Thanks again
Rhett

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 20, 2007 05:09PM

Many ways to remove without a special puller.

A hook type slide puller may work, heck, a big lag bolt might do it too.

There's always the grease method.

I've used a tap and it worked well too.

I think someone even mentioned wet bread once ?

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Posted by: Brett Wall ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:20PM

steve goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...The method of using grease or bread to hydraulic...
-------------------------------------------------------

Bread, Steve???

Re: Using Bread to remove Pilot Bushing
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:23PM

Sheesh! punk kids!!! LOL!!!

Yes bread! cheapy white...not nearly as goey as grease...same proceedure!

Posted by: Brett Wall ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:29PM

I have four tool dealers that visit me weekly... not to mention Harbor Freight, Workshop Tools, Buffalo, Ace, Sears, and a dozen parts stores within ten minutes drive.

I have no intention of using bread to fix anything. _Well_... maybe a sandwich... some toast... or panini... oooooh... p-a-n-i-n-i.

Posted by: "UNSAFE" ()
Date: March 20, 2007 07:54PM

>>>>I have no intention of using bread to fix anything<<<

Bread is a great tool for sweat soldering copper plumbing pipes if they still have some water in them.
Just shove some bread in the pipes to hold back the moisture and steam and then solder.
Afterward, when you turn the water back on the bread flushes through.

I have never seen anything that worked better for this purpose than bread !

"UNSAFE"
Kevin Willson
65 Monza
Juneau. Alaska

Re: Crankshaft seal/bread warning
Date: March 20, 2007 08:34PM

Hello Brent and all: If you re-read my post you will see that I cautioned using bread or grease and frankly would never consider either myself. The force of grease being shot out of a small opening could put an eye out.

Most pilot bushing pullers don't seem to work that well either, that is why I always use the tap. I have one just for that purpose, I drive it with an 8 point socket since the tap end is square. I will tell you what I use the pilot bushing for, to remove the input shaft seal and support ring, works great for that.

Best, Steve

Re: Crankshaft seal/bread warning
Date: March 20, 2007 08:34PM

Hello Brent and all: If you re-read my post you will see that I cautioned using bread or grease and frankly would never consider either myself. The force of grease being shot out of a small opening could put an eye out.

Most pilot bushing pullers don't seem to work that well either, that is why I always use the tap. I have one just for that purpose, I drive it with an 8 point socket since the tap end is square. I will tell you what I use the pilot bushing for, to remove the input shaft seal and support ring, works great for that.

Best, Steve

Date: March 21, 2007 03:40AM

Steve -

How do you use the the bushing to remove the shaft seal?

Rhett

Date: March 21, 2007 06:07AM

Hello Rhett: As stated in a couple of my previous posts, I use a 5/8x16 tap, I drive it into the bushing using my air wrench. Typical of most taps it is a square end but I have a set of 8 point sockets so it isn't a big deal. When the tap bottoms out inside the crank it winds the bushing right out over the tap.

Best, Steve

Date: March 21, 2007 08:27AM

"I will tell you what I use the pilot bushing for, to remove the input shaft seal and support ring, works great for that."

Steve
I guess I mis-understood you, I thought you somehow used the bushing (mounted on the tap?) to pull the input shaft seal out of the diff snout, as opposed to using a seal hook or similar tool.

Rhett

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.