Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Help, electric fuel pump wiring
Posted by: ranger372 ()
Date: October 20, 2013 04:46PM

I've been to search and really can not find a simple straight forward answer to my question. I got the electric fuel pump and safety oil pressure switch that Clark's sells. The safety switch has two terminals, I've connected a wire from the pump to one of the terminals on the safety switch. Now I believe, all I need is to bring power to the other terminal on the safety switch. Question is: What is a good source of power that will only be hot when the key is on? Both for cranking and for running?

I'm kinda stuck here guys and a total idiot when it comes to anything electrical so please keep it simple.

Thanks, Steve D.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help, electric fuel pump wiring
Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: October 20, 2013 05:18PM

You don't say what year, where you located the pump etc. But here is my advice for what it's worth.

Forget the switch that Clark's sent. Most prefer the 77-78 Vega oil pressure switch. It allows you to control the fuel pump and also still have your oil pressure idiot light.

If you located the fuel pump near the fuel tank on the under body, the simplest way to wire it is to run a hot line from the fuse box to the pump. I have done this on both EM and LM models. There are two posts on the fuse box that are marked "switched." One is for the heater, the other is for the radio. I wired my fuel pump to the one labeled radio. I increased the fuse to 10 amps. I run my radio all the time so if the radio suddenly loses power, I know I have also lost my fuel pump.

Next run the ground wire the length of the car using the tunnel area. I don't have a wiring diagram in front of me but the Vega switch I mentioned has 3 posts. "I believe" the two posts on either side are normally open. These are the posts you use for the ground wire. Connect the ground wire coming from the fuel pump to one side and run another wire to ground from the opposite side. The remaining terminal at the top can be used for the oil pressure connector. This way the pump will only run when your engine is maintaining at least 7 psi of oil pressure and the idiot light will work as normal.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Bluebrier ()
Date: October 20, 2013 05:23PM

Hope this will help.

Daniel Monasterio
64 Customized Greenbrier (The Bluebrier)
67 Customized Cpe. (Andariego)
Guadalajara, México

Attachments:
Date: October 20, 2013 05:33PM

Daniel's diagram is a good one but personally, I like the simplest way. I really don't think you need the relay as the pump only draws 2-3 amps. But at least you can see that the ground (or hot as in the diagram) wire goes across the two opposite posts and the idiot light to the third post. The less hot wires you have running all over the place, the less likelihood of a short.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: Bluebrier ()
Date: October 20, 2013 06:06PM

TIBCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Daniel's diagram is a good one but personally, I
> like the simplest way. I really don't think you
> need the relay as the pump only draws 2-3 amps.
> But at least you can see that the ground (or hot
> as in the diagram) wire goes across the two
> opposite posts and the idiot light to the third
> post. The less hot wires you have running all
> over the place, the less likelihood of a short.

Cliff,
2 or 3 Amps is no big deal by itself but, if you add those 2-3 Amps to the loads passing thru the ignition switch (ignition, directional lights, instruments, radio, etc.) the equation changes. The less current passing thru switch contacts allows for longer life on it.
Saludos

Daniel Monasterio
64 Customized Greenbrier (The Bluebrier)
67 Customized Cpe. (Andariego)
Guadalajara, México

Date: October 20, 2013 06:22PM

De acuerdo mi amigo.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: October 20, 2013 06:36PM

Ok I will Toss "my way" out there,I wire mine to the voltage regulator,there is a terminal on both the EM and the LM voltage regulators that is only "Hot" when the engine is running,I install a prime button under the dash to run the pump and fill the carbs when the car has been sitting for a while,wired this way the Pump only gets 12v when the engine is running,if in a crash and the engine stalls,the pump will stop with the key on,just like a OP switch,as an added safety feature,if your belt flies off and you do not notice,when the Gen/alt quits turning the pump shuts off so your car will konk out a few miles down the road before you burn up your engine! when this happends,you push the button hidden under the dash,fill the carbs and drive to the side of the road,fix your belt and drive home,,I have been told DAVE!!!! YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!! but 30 years of doing it I have never had a problem! Flame suit On! fire away!

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: October 21, 2013 02:53AM

..on my 67 (and a few other Corvairs),I used a 30 amp relay like the diagram above (sort of..) but have the orig "coil-12v" ign wire from the key sw doing the "work" of only pulling the relay in,probably 1 amp..87 now feeds the coil (resistance wire),Pertronix-1 hot and electric fuel pump,and is mounted where the old external-reg was along with a 'new' battery-hot terminal to replace that "horrid-red-plastic-thingy"..PM if you need more help..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Attachments:
Posted by: Backin66 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 02:55PM

I vote for a Plaid Flannel Hat-Cam Hammertime install videoooooo!!!!!thumbs up

GeorgeW
66 Corsa
SE Ct

Posted by: ranger372 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 04:24PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I have not quite decided how or when I will find the time to do the needed changes to the wiring. very frustrated I will say. Did not know that an additional switch was needed for priming, hadn't figured on a wire to the radio fuse. hadn't figured on the unsightly wires running in different directions. Maybe I will go back to the mechanical pump for the time being, but leave the electric pump where I've mounted it for another time. I had a real stinko of a day at work.

Posted by: robert wilkinson ()
Date: October 21, 2013 05:21PM

Not to muddy the waters but to do a first-rate installation many would suggest including an inertial safety switch. A fuel pressure idiot light is also nice (I use an oil pressure switch). Lastly, for redundancy I kept my mechanical pump and use the electric one for priming, or if/when the mechanical pump fails. Not good if the failure leaks gas into the crankcase, of course.

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: October 21, 2013 09:10PM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok I will Toss "my way" out there,I wire mine to
> the voltage regulator,there is a terminal on both
> the EM and the LM voltage regulators that is only
> "Hot" when the engine is running,I install a prime
> button under the dash to run the pump and fill the
> carbs when the car has been sitting for a
> while,wired this way the Pump only gets 12v when
> the engine is running,if in a crash and the engine
> stalls,the pump will stop with the key on,just
> like a OP switch,as an added safety feature,if
> your belt flies off and you do not notice,when the
> Gen/alt quits turning the pump shuts off so your
> car will konk out a few miles down the road before
> you burn up your engine! when this happends,you
> push the button hidden under the dash,fill the
> carbs and drive to the side of the road,fix your
> belt and drive home,,I have been told DAVE!!!! YOU
> CAN"T DO THAT!!! but 30 years of doing it I have
> never had a problem! Flame suit On! fire away!

But Dave! You CAN'T do that! This actually sounds like a simple method, and like said I like the added safety of the belt loss situation. I will hopefully remember to at least search for this as an option when I go to an electric pump.

Posted by: Horndoc ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:34AM

Steve,

Forget all if this! You're stressing about this eay too much. Follow the directions that came with the pump. Tie the wires up all nice and pretty. Not a big deal. Call me and I'll come help out. It shouldn't be such a big deal. You're getting way too many opinions here that are confusing you.

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: October 22, 2013 04:56AM

..an oil pressure switch sounds like a good idea Dave, in series with the Ign and electric pump..it only takes a few seconds to get oil pressure to 'close' the contacts, so a 'prime' momentary isn't really needed..later FI/TBI GM's use a combo OP sender/FP switch with 1/8-NPT,but it's big,,would need to be plumbed remotely..up-side to using that sender is you can use an OP gauge from many GM's,both readily available in junk yards used..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.