Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: 66 Monza Reassembly
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: October 02, 2016 08:02PM

Here's a picture of how the package area fits against the side panel.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 10, 2016 05:50PM

I got a few things done in the last week worth a few pictures. First I upholstered the rear package area. I used contact cement to attach the carpet.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: October 10, 2016 05:53PM

I also worked the dash panels, which I'm finishing in white. I used rustoleum satin white spray paint for the finish. I also painted the black plastic inside the gauge holes with a metallic silver color, which is shown in the last picture.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: October 10, 2016 06:06PM

(WARNING: Corvair Blasphemy)

I've come to the conclusion that when the bean counters were beating on the engineers to make the car cheaper, the biggest bean-counting success was the dome light: You could not make that fixture any cheaper if you wanted to. So, in interest of a tasteful upgrade, (and for the same cost as a repro) I bought a Ford/Lincoln solid metal, real chrome, dome light with dual map lights.

Of course, it couldn't be as simple as drilling some new holes in the beam across the roof, and connecting the wires. The Ford light and the stock light have one major difference: The stock light provides constant power to the fixture, and turns on/off by a second wire sent down to the door switches and headlight switch, which grounds the power and completes the circuit. (This is a convenient and simple way to have the light controlled at multiple points without a relay.) The Ford light provides two power supplies (a switched one for the dome light, and an "always on" one for the map lights), and grounds the two circuits on the roof mounting. Further complicating this is that the physical mounting points of the Ford fixture are also the electrical connections, so they couldn't be used to physically mount the fixture to the roof.

So I had to make up a small mounting bracket that worked around this dilemma. The wires aren't routed into the fixture in these pictures, but I finished that this morning. Pictures are below - if anyone wants details just let me know.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 06:07PM by kenzen.

Attachments:

Posted by: Joe Potts ()
Date: October 10, 2016 08:02PM

Bean counters. Would these be the people who wished the end product to cost less than a million dollars, so that more than three people would buy one?

It's easy to demonize those on the decision team who oppose more-expensive alternatives.

Me, I demonize those who advocate "quality" without regard to cost. Enough of that "quality" and your product will never sell.

Do you GET this?

Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with "factory" A/C
solenoid-type fuel pump used for priming and backup
3-point retractable seat belts for front seats
8" subwoofer with custom infinite-baffle enclosure in well behind back seat
rear component mids/tweeters powered by outboard amp under pass seat
front mids/tweeters powered by Custom Autosound headunit

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 10, 2016 09:32PM

kenzen: Those CROWN VIC LX / MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS / LINCOLN TOWN CAR/CROWN VIC LX COUNTRY SQUIRE overhead Dome lights with individual right & Left Map Lights are GREAT. I had them in a 1991 company car about twenty-five years ago ( loaded Crown Vic LX '91 model).
They were in many many of those for a number of years if anyone is chasing them in the wrecking yards. They work great in almost any resto-mods.
I friend put one in the HARDTOP of his 1972 350SL (same car as 450SL/560SL etc same body '71-'89). He built a PLUG-In connector wiring for it, so that it plugged in and unplugged as easily as disconnecting your Tape Decks or CD Players from your Home STEREO Hi-Fi system, He had a custom headliner made that hid the wiring harness snake. It greatly improves the usefulness of the hardtop because he drives five months of the year with the top ON. Its a daily driven car with EFI and a/c and yes it has been bastardized with a 5.0 Ford and AOD from a 'Stang. High miles on the original proved to costly to rebuild...

Another item that You May Wish To Look At That Can Dress Up the Interior of many old cars, and I think would work extremely well on a LM Corvair......that item is the ARMREST-door pull from the 1967 Mustang with STANDARD interior (not PONY interior).........................It is a ONE PIECE MOLDED PLASTIC-Vinyl over some metal form structure. It has two mounting holes thru it and IS ADAPTABLE TO PLENTY OF CARS...............It looks really good and has good looking fake stitching molded in...........I have seen this item used on many projects and I copied others and had great results using it too.
A pair of stainless steel smooth head carriage bolts and T-nuts/washers etc is all that might be needed to affix it, Though in some installations you might want some thin alumin flat or thin flat metal or relatively rigid flat wood or plastic stretched accross behind the door panel between the two mounting holes for some INSTALLATIONS in certain Old Vehicles. For something like the door panel of a Corvair or even something like a Karmann Ghia or Beetle, the panel might not need additional bracing as the door is relatively light and well balanced to swing closed, etc....
-------------Check Out 1967 MUSTANG door ARMREST (standard interior)...
There are Repros in all of the factory stang interior colors for '67 if I am not mistaken. Perhaps there is a white that you might look at. Anyway, its just a suggestion. I'm not saying stang parts are better or anything like that, I'm simply saying that the particular STANDARD armrest for '67 looked really good and is easily adapted to many cars. Other years and the PONY versions weren't as nice looking in my opinion.

Another suggestion for you is PERHAPS, You might wish to incorporate courtesy lamps into the place where ASHTRAYS originally were located in the side panels.
You can find them in many many places..........boating catalogs too.......possibly NPD/CLASSIC catalogs etc Cutlass/Firebird/camaro/Mustang, possibly even vintage Cadillac/Buicks etc and possibly modern VOLVO/AUDI/BMW/LEXUS/MERCEDES/ etc might have something that older 1980's era cars had could be adapted if you search junkyards, but BOAT/Marine supply catalogs will be your best source I would think for something that is very Nice and looks both Classy and fits the location best like it was Original factory equipment. Again, these are simply suggestions, I am not trying to anger the stock purists any more than I ordinarily do based on my opinions that progress/technology are always good.
Your project looks really good. I like your choice of the Dome/map light and the workmanship on the rear speaker panels.

Posted by: j3m ()
Date: October 10, 2016 10:28PM

Here are links to the 1967 standard 'Stang ARMRESTS that I suggested that you may want to see. ( I am not Endorsing this supplier, nor saying that this would not be an excellent supplier------there are numerous suplliers, I don't know which has these best or for best available pricing......This is just one that I picked for Demonstration purposes......)

CRIMSON TIDE red version
[www.mustangsunlimited.com]

Medium Blue version

Saddle Tan version

Parchment version

BLACK version

Aqua version

Ivy version

Notice how inexpensive these are from all the MUSTANG/Cougar suppliers. 67 standard Mustang upholstery and also the 1967 Cougar

Take a look with the ZOOM in on the pictures and see the fake stitching that is MOLDED in the plastic/vinyl. These will DRESS UP a LM Corvair Door Panel as long as the color is a near match for the color of your existing door panel or if it is a near exact match for what you desire for your NEW Corvair door panels, etc. It is just a suggestion that might look nicer and nobody likely will ever know from what vehicle that you sourced your door ARMRESTS etc.

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: October 10, 2016 11:28PM

Darn bean counters! smoking smiley

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: October 11, 2016 03:31PM

When the base is melting due to the heat of the bulb, it's gone too far...

Joe Potts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bean counters. Would these be the people who
> wished the end product to cost less than a million
> dollars, so that more than three people would buy
> one?
>
> It's easy to demonize those on the decision team
> who oppose more-expensive alternatives.
>
> Me, I demonize those who advocate "quality"
> without regard to cost. Enough of that "quality"
> and your product will never sell.
>
> Do you GET this?

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 11, 2016 03:37PM

j3m Wrote:
> He built a PLUG-In connector
> wiring for it, so that it plugged in and
> unplugged as easily as disconnecting your Tape
> Decks or CD Players from your Home STEREO Hi-Fi
> system,

I considered this...after I figured out the hard way. eye rolling smiley
>
> Another item that You May Wish To Look At That Can
> Dress Up the Interior of many old cars, and I
> think would work extremely well on a LM
> Corvair......that item is the ARMREST-door pull
> from the 1967 Mustang with STANDARD interior (not
> PONY interior).........................It is a ONE
> PIECE MOLDED PLASTIC-Vinyl over some metal form
> structure. It has two mounting holes thru it
> and IS ADAPTABLE TO PLENTY OF
> CARS...............

I'll look into that - thanks!
>
> Another suggestion for you is PERHAPS, You might
> wish to incorporate courtesy lamps into the
> place where ASHTRAYS originally were located in
> the side panels.
I was actually looking to fabricate white plexiglass plates to replace the ashtray insert/doors, and put a bulb behind them.

So many good ideas....thanks!

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 11, 2016 03:42PM

davemotohead Wrote:
> Darn bean counters! smoking smiley

I'm a defense system software engineer, and here's my typical day with "bean counters"...

draw lines

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 16, 2016 05:35PM

Got the headliner in today. Used binder clips to hold in place for marking to cut, and to check fitment after cutting. Used contact cement to glue in.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 16, 2016 05:44PM

Closer and closer!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: October 16, 2016 07:06PM

thumbs up

Dave

Date: October 23, 2016 06:47AM

Friday and last night I reassembled the dash, less the stereo and ashtray, and somehow I didn't screw up my back. I glad the seats are not in the car so I could roll around.

I also completed restomod of the PG shift lever lens. I scraped the paint (green and black) out of the back of the lens, and acquired some blue and black nailpolish from my daughters to repaint the rear so it will glow blue when illuminated. I then sprayed the front with the same matte white paint of the dash panels, removing the paint on the letters with a razor when it dried.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 23, 2016 06:55AM

You are getting there.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: October 23, 2016 01:13PM

kensen,

Concerning the video link:

This is exactly the kind of lunacy that I must endure at my favorite place of employment. All day. Every day.

Chet in Ramona

Date: October 23, 2016 05:35PM

vairchet Wrote:
> kensen,
>
> Concerning the video link:
>
> This is exactly the kind of lunacy that I must
> endure at my favorite place of employment. All
> day. Every day.

Chevy would still be making Corvairs if they simply used a kitten in the marketing strategy....

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 28, 2016 08:44PM

I got a few things done this week and tonight. First, I replaced all the rubber on the vent windows and the rear window edges. I'm inserting a picture of the vent window frame taken apart since there was an older thread discussion stating you needed to drill out rivets to get the window out. All that needs to be done is unscrew the two screws at the bottom, and the small phillips head screw hidden in the rubber tip, and the frame will come apart. Take the nut off of the lower window pivot stud first, and note the orientation of the D-shaped washer since that acts like cam to limit the travel of the window when opening it. Taking pictures of the completed job really had no interesting value, but the pile of old rubber on the floor was a sign of progress.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: October 28, 2016 08:53PM

Tonight I went out with the intent to install the rear quarter windows. I got the passenger side installed (which is one of those jobs that is a PITA until you've done it once and learn the technique), but when I went to do the drivers side I noted the bottom roller was missing from the window. I'll order a new one tonight. I then moved onto the next project which was to put sound dampening material on the rest of the floor. I didn't make an attempt to "gift wrap" the floor - I'm really only concerned with dampening and lowering the resonant frequencies of the larger flat surfaces. I had a little more energy after getting the sound dampening down, so I ran into the house and grabbed the carpeting (that has been on my office couch for a couple of months) and layed it down to get an idea of what it will look like - pictures attached. smiling smiley

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.