Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re:66 Monza Reassembly
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: September 08, 2016 07:30PM

Made some progress the last two nights - wiper mechanism and hood hinges installed. I had to do some research to figure out the torsion bar installation, and I was able to do the install without any tools besides a 9/16" combo wrench. I could lean on the hinge with my body weight and get the hinge screws in. I first ran the hinge bolt body holes with a tap (1/4-20) so I wouldn't be fighting the layer of paint in the holes. I also attached my new washer fluid tank, and cleaned up the wiring harness for installation. Next I'm going to paint and install the headlight bowls and "guts". Tomorrow night is free...

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 08:12PM by MattNall.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 66 Monza Reassembly
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 08, 2016 09:24PM

Fabulous work! You are going to have a great car when you are finished. Keep plugging along and you will get there sooner than you think!

Dan
Chandler, AZ
1966 Corsa Turbo Convertible
[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: September 09, 2016 10:31AM

Great job! Makes me feel bad though. I haven't touch my project car in quite a while. Work has been too busy and the wife has me building a huge patio in the back yard...

Dave

Date: September 09, 2016 05:03PM

I have a big backyard project going as well, but the heat and the rain has given me a "hall pass" to be in the garage. I'll tackle that job when it cools off.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: September 09, 2016 07:44PM

Nothing really picture worthy tonight, but installed trunk wiring harness, cleaned and routed the dash wire harness (including cleanup of all the electrical connectors), and installed the trunk latch mechanism. I had to spend some time figuring out how a wiper motor assembly with 6 electrical connectors was serviced by a harness with one 2-wire plug - then I remembered "that other wiring harness" that I didn't know the purpose for, added 2+2, and figured out that harness had to be routed between the wiper switch and the motor. drinking smiley

The humidity is pretty high here tonight, and I got sick of my glasses falling off my face as I was continually looking down, so I called it a night. Tomorrow (after I coach my son's soccer game) I plan to paint the headlight bowls and guts, as well as the steering wheel and column.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: September 13, 2016 07:21PM

Short update: Busy, hot weekend. Pulled the car out and washed it from some grinding dust I spun up welding the new trunk floor in a few weeks ago. Got the headlight bowls and guts painted but not installed yet. Installed the windshield washing nozzles, then realized I needed hosing to connect them to the pump - I try to pick that up at the big box store tomorrow. Rebuilt the fresh air flaps (in the kick panels) with the Clarks kit (thanks for putting extra rivets in the kit Cal!) - fresh paint on those as well. Ordered a dash speaker support bracket off ebay - I'm making a custom mount for a pair of 4" speakers.

I need to get to the Corvair Ranch and pick up a used package area cardboard to use as a template to make a custom rear deck - I hope to take a day next week to do that and pick up a few other small things.

Sorry, nothing really picture worthy...

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: September 13, 2016 07:34PM

...oh yeah, and installed a new master cylinder ($23 from auto zone, rebuilt, even has "delco" on the cap).

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: igottajob2 ()
Date: September 13, 2016 07:38PM

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!! smileys with beer

Minneapolis,MN

1965 500 Coupe
95HP

Built the 1st week of April of 65 at willow run.
500 coupe. The only factory accessory is a rear antenna.
White with a red interior.
Now black with black and red interior.

Date: September 16, 2016 05:21PM

Thanks igottajob2!

I got some things done last night and today:
First a pic of the master cylinder in, as well as the trunk lid installed. I bought new tubing today to run the lines for the windshield washer nozzles, but I'll get to that tomorrow.

I masked up and painted the top of the steering column, as well as the steering wheel itself.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: September 16, 2016 05:24PM

...then I dove into insulating the interior a bit. I only did the package area and the roof since I'll be working in the car and don't want to trash the floor. Also is a pic with the installed hood down, insulation job visible in the rear. Tomorrow I have the doors queued up to paint the silver on the inside panels.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: September 18, 2016 08:34AM

Beautiful work! I just looked thru your post and you have done an amazing job on this car.Its gonna be a winner when your done.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: September 18, 2016 06:55PM

Thanks Setterz54!

I tackled painting the interior of my doors today. I planned to do it yesterday, but when I flipped the doors over for the first time since I painted them, I discovered I missed a few spots, so I had to touch up a few things, then wait a day to be able to mask over it. Attached are the photos of the painted door interiors.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 18, 2016 06:59PM

Stay with it, a little each day and progress is pretty steady. Great looking work you are doing. I hope the weather keeps your 'hall pass' open until the car is finished. (don't show your wife this post) ggg

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Date: September 18, 2016 07:04PM

When I paint, I try to keep another smaller project going in the background so I'm not tempted to move faster than the paint will dry. So I tackled making an adapter plate to mount a pair of 4" speakers in the dash. I used "Aztek" plastic lumber since I had it laying around. I cut a 4.5x10 inch piece and put the speaker holes in with a jig saw, cleaning the holes up with a sanding drum in my drill press. I then took another piece of the Aztek lumber and made a small extension that matches the profile of the stock speaker magnet. This allows me to mount this to the dash underside with the stock speaker bracket. I painted the white material with a can of flat black primer I had around. The white strips are adhesive backing to black weather stripping I put on to seal the plate to the dash, and provide clearance to clear the vent grill. I'll peel the white backing off when I mount it so it sticks to the dash underside. It fits very well, but I'm not going to mount it until I start assembling the dash interior.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: September 18, 2016 07:10PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stay with it, a little each day and progress is
> pretty steady. Great looking work you are doing.
> I hope the weather keeps your 'hall pass' open
> until the car is finished. (don't show your wife
> this post) ggg

Thanks Steve! I've been really pressing now since I need the warm weather to paint. With the door interiors now done, all the major painting is complete. Anything else now is a portable part I can paint in my heated shop behind the garage. I still have to wet sand, buff and polish the entire car which I'd like to do in milder weather.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: September 21, 2016 07:25PM

I got out to the garage a bit tonight. First a pic of the doors I painted this weekend, now with the masking tape removed. And a pic of my buddy Ruben, working with me in the interior of the car.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Date: September 21, 2016 07:36PM

Tonight I started working on the rear package area, and made a template from cardboard. I'm making a custom panel with wood and HDF (high density fiberboard), that will support speakers.
I started by installing the rear trim panels, and marking the rear profile of the panels with masking tape. This gave me the guide to build the package area to. Then I cut a thin (about 1" x 1/2") piece of wood to the exact width of the front edge of the top, long enough that I could wedge it in and it would stay in place. From this piece of wood, I grabbed an adjustable square, and measured the depth of the back of the package area to the front edge of the wood at fixed intervals from centerline, giving me the points I need to draw an accurate arc. Then I transferred the measurements to a piece of cardboard, cut the profile out, and taped the cardboard to the piece of wood I measured from. Then the kids came home, and it was time to help with homework, etc. Next, I'll be transferring the template to a piece of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood for the top, and begin to work the front panels. I'll also cut some 1" pine as bracing underneath.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 07:42PM by kenzen.

Attachments:

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 22, 2016 11:50AM

Like Steve said. Little by little, but keep up the progress. I find that when I look back at what I have already done on big projects, instead of dwelling on what's leaf to be done... the process goes much better and the final result is vary well worth the effort.
Your doing it right, for sure.smileys with beer In 1973, my first... all mine Corvair was a 66 Monza 110 PG! Thanks for keeping us posted.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Date: September 22, 2016 07:29PM

Thanks Dave. I keep a journal (composition notebook and pen/pencil - "old school") for everything I do - the first entry was Jan 3rd, 2008, and it's fun to read back all the things I've done to this car. The condition of the car when I got it was "not so great parts car" but I got the engine running, and dove in. Restoring a car was something I always wanted to do, and I've always liked rear engine air cooled VW/Porsches - discovering the Corvair was a "treat". I taught myself to weld, fabricate sheetmetal parts, and paint on this project. After it's reassembled, I'll be diving into an engine project, something like a 110 with big valve heads, 60+, slightly hot cam, Ted Brown EFI and DIS, optimized for low end torque, but still very drivable. I'm keeping my PG since this is a cruising car (and my left knee acts up too often when driving my current 5speed S10).

Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 02, 2016 07:58PM

I've been chipping away over the last couple of weeks, and now have the custom deck for the rear package area complete except for upholstering it with carpeting. It's 3/4" plywood on the main deck, and I used HDF (aka masonite) for the other parts. It will be removable by undoing 5 screws.

I also pulled the rods out of my old head liner, and cleaned and painted them to ready them for the head liner install. I didn't want to be handling and installing rusty steel rods along with a white head liner.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Attachments:

Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.