Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Removing turn signal switch and cancelling cam ???s
Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: September 23, 2013 11:25AM

I'm hoping you can help me determine how best to remove the turn signal assembly & cancelling cam. This is from a '66.

This all started when I discovered that the front left turn signal didn't work. The left rear works fine. I traced it back to the wiring running down the steering column (no voltage in the black/blue wire leading to the curved plug connector.

The pictures show how far I've gotten. I can't see what's holding the assembly in place.

Also another question: when taking things apart I noticed what I thought was dried grease around the shaft & spring. Turns out it's some kind of cork. I have no idea what that is for. Remnants remain attached to the shaft. Any ideas?

The left turn signal indicator does not work either.

The phillips screw in the last picture turns freely and moves about 1/2", but will not come out.

How can I remove the cancelling cam to get at the mechanical part of the switch?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing turn signal switch and cancelling cam ???s
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: September 23, 2013 02:38PM

No idea what the cork material is for. There is a snap ring under that stuff however. Remove the snap ring and then the three Phillips head machine screws and the switch pulls upward. Remove the stalk too. You must undo the support bracket under the mast jacket and the wiring plug too.

Forgot to say the cam is held in place by a screw from under the can.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 02:41PM by steve c goodman.

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: September 23, 2013 03:01PM

The cam is held in place by a screw that's accessible when the switch is pulled out and turned over to expose the screw head.

Two of the retaining screws require you to move the cancelling cam (crescent shaped piece) to the left and right turn position to gain access to their screw heads.

If you want to entirely remove the switch, you will have to remove the wire terminals from the connector at the lower end. Note the wire color for each cavity and maybe take photos for good measure.

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: September 24, 2013 03:51AM

like Steve and Craig said on the 3 screws..the snap ring is shown in the last pic,and a real PITA to get out-try using the Harbor Fr orange handled hook/pick set to get under the end,you'll probably chase it around at first..the aqua plastic bushing under the snap ring is slit at an angle,that should come out before the sw assy does..I think..you may find broken/corroded ends in the curved plugs,it may work if you release each one (both sides) and scrape clean w/ razor blade..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: September 24, 2013 07:23AM

HELP!! Finally, I think I see the answer to my question. The aqua colored bushing that Tom Z noted in the picture is missing on my car. My spring presses directly against the bearing housing and squeals like crazy when the wheel is turned. Does anybody out there have an extra one of these bushings they would like to part with? If so, please send me a PM. Thanks a million.

As for the snap ring, it is a royal PITA. I fashioned a U-shaped device that I used to gently press down on the switch assembly using the steering wheel nut and with really small screwdrivers finally got the C-clip out.

The unasked question is why replace the switch at all. If the left rear is working and the left front is not, it sounds like a bad bulb or wiring problem. Check first to make sure you are getting voltage to the left front.

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: September 24, 2013 07:34AM

TIBCO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The unasked question is why replace the switch at
> all. If the left rear is working and the left
> front is not, it sounds like a bad bulb or wiring
> problem.

No. See the photo. It is possible for the left front bulb outage to be caused by a bad switch connection in the column.

Might as well post this again while we are at it. Pic from a 66 coupe.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2013 07:37AM by azdave.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: September 24, 2013 08:21AM

Thanks for the picture Dave. Funny, when I replaced the switch in my 66 last month, it didn't have all the fancy labels. grinning smiley

Seriously, that is a very helpful image. I was mistaken, although I still suspect faulty wiring or ground. I do realize the metal circuits inside the switch can corrode and break.

Also, not to hijack the thread, but I really need that little bushing. If no one is able to part with said bushing, maybe someone could post a good clear close up of the bushing so that I can make a reasonable facsimile of it.

thanks again,

Cliff Tibbitts
Nicholasville, KY
CORSA, CKCE, Derby City Corvairs
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: September 24, 2013 11:42AM

That snap-ring is a bear. I use two small flat screwdrivers to pry it out.
For the bushing... check with California Corvairs, if no one here has one avalable.

Test the switch with the cam before you put the screw back in that holds it in place. I have sometimes had to slightly bend the tangs on the switch to get some to work properly. Also, you can remove the metal contact tabs and clean. They get carbon build-up on them.

Corventure Dave

Date: October 01, 2013 11:14AM

I've been working on and off with this problem, somewhat unsuccessfully. I was unable to remove the switch from the column.
So I tried to clean the few visible contacts with an alcohol dipped Q-tip. I put it back together and now the flasher is clicking constantly. With a left hand turn, both taillights are blinking.

I figured I must have put something back incorrectly, so I decided to pull the wheel off a '65 for comparison. Here are a few pics from the '65:

In the following two pics, is the metal part above the purple wire part of the switch? Or is it a completely separate part? How is it attached?

The awl is inserted in the miniscule snap ring slot. I cannot see how to remove it. If I pry it, it is against the plastic switch, which I'm sure would crumble. There doesn't seem to be enough room there to get one edge up... I'm sure there's a way. Anybody have any pointers? Any special tools to use?

BTW, Cliff, the '65 has no plastic bushing on there like the '66 did. Maybe that's not as important as you think?
Do you have a picture of the U-shaped device that you fashioned?

In case anyone was wondering about my initial post, there is no voltage in the wire coming out of the switch down the column when the signal is activated.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: October 01, 2013 11:34AM

The metal part above the purple wire is a sort-of bracket that ties the whole shebang to the tubular column. The metal part twists and "locks into" the notches at the top of the tubular column.

To remove the snap ring, I use two picks, one straight and one with a right angle end.

Start the snap ring with the striaight and once it's started, pull up with the angle and work your way around.

"No voltage int the wire coming down"??? Which wire?

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
60 Monza coupe (sold, sniff sniff)
66 Sprint Corsa convt - First car! Re-purchased 43 years later
2+2 gnatsuM 5691

+17 Tons of parts

Date: October 01, 2013 12:18PM

"No voltage int the wire coming down"??? Which wire?

The black w/blue stripe for the front left turn signal.
I traced no voltage from the front all the way to the wire on the column (nicked the wire and tested while turn signal on).
FR, RR, and RL all functioned normally.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: October 01, 2013 01:22PM

I use long snap ring pliers to open up the snap ring. At the same time I pull upward on the steering shaft.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: October 01, 2013 05:20PM

I am trying to follow this thread and having trouble discerning part names used. I have 65 and I just took mine apart to see why my right turn signal wont stay on without holding the lever on.

Bushing -- are you referring to the green colored plastic circle piece around the shaft?

Snap ring - i cant figure out what ring you are referring to? I dont see it?

Also, what are the black sponge like pieces at each end of the cancelling cam for?

What type of grease is supposed to be used for the turn signal around the cancelling cam and such?

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Date: October 01, 2013 06:42PM

...to see why my right turn signal wont stay on without holding the lever on. ... Sounds like something's broken. The manual advises to reassemble with the cancelling cam in the neutral position. Perhaps yours wasn't?

Bushing -- are you referring to the green colored plastic circle piece around the shaft? ... Yes.

Snap ring - i cant figure out what ring you are referring to? I don't see it? ... Compare the last two pictures. The awl is in the gap of the ring. There apparently is a groove in the shaft that the flat snap ring sits in. The chase for the ball bearings is wedged up against the snap ring (at least it seems to be). That holds the switch in place.

Also, what are the black sponge like pieces at each end of the cancelling cam for? ... I assume they lubricate the backside of the steering wheel so that nothing binds. Just one drop of oil or vaseline is all I would put there. See picture below.

What type of grease is supposed to be used for the turn signal around the cancelling cam and such? ... I really don't see where any is needed, except that the ball bearings seem very dry. I sprayed a little Kroil in there and wiped up the excess.

Bear in mind that I'm learning too, so take my comments as best guesses.

I hope to be able to continue working on this tomorrow. I appreciate all the comments and advice that has been offered.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 06:46PM by flamingchariots.

Date: October 01, 2013 07:23PM

There will be NO snap ring on early 65 models, the shaft is one piece from the box to the wheel. Only the two piece shafts from mid-65 through 66 use the snap ring.

best wishes, Steve

1971 amante gt 110/4

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: October 02, 2013 02:13PM

steve c goodman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There will be NO snap ring on early 65 models, the
> shaft is one piece from the box to the wheel.
> Only the two piece shafts from mid-65 through 66
> use the snap ring.

Thanks for the clarification, Steve

It has been 25 - 30 years since I have taken a steering wheel / hub apart (65 single shaft) and I do not remember much, but I did not recall having to "fight" removing a snap ring.

Posted by: Bogey72 ()
Date: October 02, 2013 02:40PM

Mine did not have any snap ring. I have 65 Monza Convertible. However, I didnt have to take my assembly completely out. I finally got mine working fully.

I had to:

Replace the cancelling cam. This fixed the cancelling, but right turn was still not making proper connection.

Then I took out the contacts inside the switch with needle-nose pliers and cleaned them and had to carefully re-bend the two on the left to make the right-turn work again. I used a toothpick to simulate the connections to finally get them where i wanted. It took me quite a few tries to get those bent just right.

I put a little grease in there where there was old grease.

NOTE: I made sure not to screw the cancelling cam back on supertight (the one screw that goes in from the back side of the cam). . When I made that supertight, my turn signal would cancel, but it was very stiff to click on. Once I backed that off a tiny bit, using the directional was smooth and easy.

Ed Conto
Saratoga Springs, NY
1965 Monza Convertible, PG
Owner since August 2013

Posted by: vg569 ()
Date: February 16, 2016 06:00PM

I am reviving this thread because: I have a 65 non telescopic steering column. I broke the directional mechanism piece that the stalk attaches to. Got a new one from Clarks. Now when I go to reassemble, I can't get the plastic bearing piece in far enough to allow the split ring to seat in the groove in the steering shaft. It gets real close, but just not enough. The mechanism looks like the pics above posted by flaming chariots except the main plastic switch housing is a dark color that matches the bearing. Anyone else have this issue?

Posted by: Ed Dowds ()
Date: February 16, 2016 06:15PM

I've read that you can pull the shaft up by putting a box wrench on the shaft with the steering wheel retaining nut to hold it on. You pull up the shaft with the wrench while pushing the ring down.

Ed
Hamilton, NJ
66 500 rear 4.3 V6 Corvair
69 350/350 TH Camaro was RS
30 Model A Ford Streetrod 350/400 TH
88 Celebrity Wagon (Daily Driver)

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 16, 2016 06:36PM

Put the nut on the shaft and pull the shaft up as you push the ring down...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.