Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: New Front Spoiler for 69 Vert - Instructions and Photoshot smiley
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: October 10, 2020 11:27AM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> flat_six Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Would it be possible to have this DIY updated with the photos? Seems the old ones timed out lol.
>
>
> That it the problem when people get lazy and use outside posting sites, instead of taking the time to post DIRECTLY onto CCF. hot smiley

Dean is definitely NOT lazy. One drawback of posting them directly here is the 3 photo limit.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: October 10, 2020 11:48AM

Definitely agree, David!

Dean is a Dynamo of Corvair enthusiasm!!

Note that the well-written original post used the photos within the story as illustrations. This is a better way to convey information IMHO than having photos appeneded to the bottom of the post.

If the photos can be uploaded to a new photo server and the references edited that would fix the "issue" with the original story.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 Corsa 140 Coupe ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Convertible Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza Spyder Convertible ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 CoupeEvening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: October 10, 2020 12:30PM

Probably easier if Dean made his text and photos as a pdf file and sent it to Matt to add to FAQs as a link.

Heck, if Dean sends me the photos, I will put it together for him.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: October 11, 2020 03:29PM

Spectre Wrote:
> American Mel Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > flat_six Wrote:
> > -------------------------------------------------------
> > > Would it be possible to have this DIY updated with the photos? Seems the old ones timed out lol.
> >
> >
> > That it the problem when people get lazy and use outside posting sites, instead of taking the time to post DIRECTLY onto CCF. hot smiley
>

By the way, the second line of this quote did not come from me. Just wanted to set the record straight. Mike

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 11, 2020 03:55PM

No, I wrote it, and I stand by it.
There are ways to post more than three pictures, but they take time, and most people do not want to spend the time.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 11, 2020 04:25PM

A-Mel is correct!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:
Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: October 18, 2020 05:48AM

Well, American Mel, you are certainly entitled to your opinion however incorrect it is.

The reason why I choose the outside hosting is because the internally hosted photos are TOO SMALL to see important details.

Just look at the series of photos that Matt Nall posted.

Most of us here on this forum are old farts with poor eyesight and need all the help we can get.

I am anything but lazy.

One only needs to consider the number of detailed tutorials that I have taken the time to create and post on this forum to be disabused of that notion.

Accordingly, I will re-post this tutorial in a subsequent post below.

Stay tuned!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Heart of Georgia Corvair Club Webmaster
Springfest Webmaster

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: October 18, 2020 05:55AM

Along the same sentiments as Dean, they can print the entire King James version of the Bible on the head of a pin, but we prefer the more traditional font.

Date: October 18, 2020 06:24AM

Thanks to Mark Guider (mguider) for the original link to the 69 Camaro front spoiler vendor!!

Step 1: Visit chevroletrestorationworld, then click on "1967-92 Camaro" box on the left, then type in F422250 in the "Search By Part Number" field.

Add the item to your cart and complete the purchase.

Do NOT buy the mounting kit or the braces because you will fasten it yourself with parts indicated in the next step.

Step 2: Visit Lowes/Home Depot and purchase the following fasteners or something similar:

NOTE that you only need 6 each of the screws and washers.

Step 3: Perform a test install by holding the spoiler onto the car to get familiar with the placement and mounting holes.

It much easier if you have a helper.

I used a Sharpie to make some very slight marks on the car for centering purposes.

Step 4: Hold the spoiler or have your helper hold the spoiler up to the car and make marks on the body using a Sharpie to indicate the drill holes.

Hold the spoiler against the vertical lip to make things easier and to provide a bit more stability to the spoiler.

Keep in mind that the spoiler will rotate upwards a bit to meet the upward curving edge of the underbody.

The other thing to understand is that the holes in the spoiler are large enough to allow some "wiggle room" in case you need to tweak the alignment etc.

Step 5: Screw a fastener into the two marks WITHOUT the spoiler attached, WITHOUT the washer and WITHOUT bottoming the fastener such that you are simply creating a pilot hole.

NOTE : You CAN proceed to permanently fasten the spoiler without creating the pilot holes as directed: It's your call...

Step 6: Hold the spoiler in place and screw in the fasteners with washers into the two holes for the center and leave them slightly loose so that you can move the left and right ends around to achieve the best alignment.

Step 7: Align the left and right ends, drill the pilot holes for those ends then install the fasteners with washers on those ends and leave them slightly loose.

Step 8: Step back and get a good look at the spoiler and double-check the alignment. Once you are satisfied, then snug up the four fasteners: two in the center and one on each end.

Step 9: Install fasteners with washers into the middle holes and snug them up.

Step 10: Take photos, open an adult beverage of your choice, post the photos on the Corvair Center Phorum and congratulate yourself for a job well done!

BEFORE SPOILER INSTALL:

DURING INSTALL:

AFTER SPOILER INSTALL:

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Posted by: flat_six ()
Date: October 18, 2020 08:31AM

Looks great. Now I can visualize the install.

I've read in other places that people have used through bolts with fender washers on the inside at the ends (accessible thru the trunk) to provide extra reinforcement for possible curb impacts.

Also, the three rods that are supplied for Camaros are not needed for the Corvair?

I'd be interested in some pics of what those look like installed if anyone has used them on a Corvair.

Date: October 18, 2020 08:41AM

My thought was that the described fasteners were strong enough to hold the spoiler (front air dam) in place without them being so strong as to cause body damage in the event of a strong curb impact.

I would rather replace the relatively inexpensive spoiler (front air dam) than pay to fix body damage...

As always, your mileage may vary....

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Posted by: WhenIm64 ()
Date: October 18, 2020 09:47AM

ihscomputers Wrote:

> I would rather replace the relatively inexpensive spoiler (front air dam) than pay to fix body damage... <

Dean is right about this! My first install of this type of air dam, on the 1964 Corvair that is shown in my signature, was done with nice wide fender washers under the heads of the fasteners. These provided enough strength that the plastic air dam, when ripped off the car in the inevitable off-track excursion, took big bites of the steel body with it.

After repairs, the replacement was installed with the bare minimum of washers under the heads of the fasteners, to make it sacrificial.

Now, when I next installed one of these air dams, on a late model, I did so without making any new holes in the car. I secured it using the existing holes for the license plate bracket and the existing holes at the leading end of each front fender. In each case, with the smallest washers that would do the job.

That installation, with just those four mounting points and minimal washers, held up just fine to expressway speeds, and happily I never did test its resistance to curb hits or other impacts.

WhyImWhenIm64

Attachments:
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: October 18, 2020 10:20AM

Just for the record, here are two pictures of the S-10 spoiler on my project car and a picture of the stock front "valance panel", as the factory termed it.

-Mark

Attachments:

Date: October 18, 2020 10:20AM

Just for the record, here are two pictures of the S-10 spoiler on my project car and a picture of the stock front "valance panel", as the factory termed it.

-Mark

Attachments:

Date: October 18, 2020 10:54AM

I found that the S-10 spoiler needed only minor, easy to do trimming in order to be a virtual bolt-on. It also doesn't hurt to heat the center strip and put a slight crease in the vey center.

I'd recommend starting with the center screw hole in the spoiler and doing the heat-bend first, by drilling a center hole for the spoiler and bending it around there with a heat gun softening it up first. Then calculating where to trim off the end of the mounting lip so that the mounting lip and top of the spoiler follows the body contour. Be sure to hug the car's body seam, and drill the needed mounting screw holes into the bottom of the roll pan.

Once you have it mounted out to the corner radiuses, cut off the excess flush with the wheel wells and straight down. Drill a single hole in the horizontal lip of the spoiler's inside surface and use the existing stock screw hole for securing the end of the spoiler.

-Mark

Date: October 18, 2020 02:48PM

Thanks, Dean, for updating this and adding the pictures. It’s frustrating how many threads we count on for future reference were held hostage by hosting servers.

If I’m posting from my desktop, modifying pictures to fit isn’t terribly difficult.

From my phone, however, is a royal PITA, and not worth my time. I’ve done the workarounds presented and frankly, it’s a helluva dance just to post a couple of pictures. I have a couple minutes to check in with my phone WAY more often than I’m sitting at a computer.

This site has a wealth of knowledgeable contributors and information, and for that I’m very grateful.

On another note, wasn’t there another thread adaptating a front spoiler from a Colorado pickup with slight heating and modifications? Or do I have my sites mixed up? I’ve done a search and not found anything. I know for a fact I’ve read it, just don’t remember where. I also remember that I liked how it looked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: October 18, 2020 04:32PM

Another tip if you have the tool, I installed 1/4-20 riv nuts and use machine screws to hold the spoiler on. That way when (not if) I crack it on a curb, I can quickly replace it. Summit racing sell one of the spoilers for about $30 with free shipping if you spend $100.

Date: October 18, 2020 05:48PM

Thanks Ryan!thumbs up

I liked your riv nut tip so much that I used that technique on the 65 V8 coupe spoiler/front air dam!

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia
Springfest Webmaster

Posted by: martyscarr ()
Date: October 22, 2020 12:50PM

>
> On another note, wasn’t there another thread adaptating a front spoiler from a Colorado pickup with slight heating and modifications? Or do I have my sites mixed up? I’ve done a search and not found anything. I know for a fact I’ve read it, just don’t remember where. I also remember that I liked how it looked.

I remember reading about it as well - I was able to find the following:

It was mentioned HERE back in 2018.

More detail HERE back in 2010.

HTH

Date: October 24, 2020 07:16AM

martyscarr Wrote:
> >
> > On another note, wasn’t there another thread adaptating a front spoiler from a Colorado pickup with slight heating and modifications? Or do I have my sites mixed up? I’ve done a search and not found anything. I know for a fact I’ve read it, just don’t remember where. I also remember that I liked how it looked.
>
> I remember reading about it as well - I was able to find the following:
>
> It was mentioned HERE back in 2018.
>
> More detail HERE back in 2010.
>
> HTH

Thank you!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're unique, just like everyone else...

Johnny B
Central WI

Wife's '68, 3.0L, twin-screw compressor and fuel injected in the works...

Project Pressurized Pancake

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.