Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Lacquer thinner and carburetor
Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 11:47PM

Cleaning carburetor on gold 65 monza tonight and I was wondering if lacquer thinner would be ok for cleaning. Im using carb cleaner but I dont see why thinner wouldnt work well also. What does everyone else do? Thanks Steve.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lacquer thinner and carburetor
Posted by: YenkoYS-100 ()
Date: August 28, 2013 11:51PM

McKay carb dip from NAPA.

I smell like it very much today. I try to wash up with simple green to hide the smell.

The smell has to wear off though. LOL

I've been cleaning bolts, pushrod tubes, pushrods, oil cooler adapter, etc., in the dip today.

I think BrakeKleen is pretty good stuff too. Of course nothing is as good as it used to be, with the EPA and ARB and whoever else has their hands in there? eye rolling smiley

Rick
YS100

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 11:54PM by YenkoYS-100.

Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: August 29, 2013 12:20AM

Lacquer thinner is expensive these days, but should work fine. I use Goop/Gojo hand cleaner for most degreasing jobs (cheap and works great). Don't usually have to clean carbs, the gas keeps them pretty clean inside. Use spray carb cleaner on the outsides. Any biodegradable degreaser can be used on carb outsides too. Carb orifices can usually be cleaned out using a fine wire and compressed air and shots of spray carb cleaner if needed.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Posted by: strangecars ()
Date: August 29, 2013 12:33AM

I like mineral spirits poured into a cheap turkey roaster pan for removing oil and grease. Berryman's carb dip and spray for carburetors

Steve Morton
1967 Monza 110/4spd, 1967 Monza 110/4spd a/c partscar, 1960 4 door partscar
Corsa Member Emmett, Idaho

"If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong"

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: August 29, 2013 02:59AM

YS-100 says he smells like carb cleaner today. Heck my whole shop smells like carb cleaner. In fact guys stop by to visit and when they get home their wives know where they have been.

I use the strongest carb cleaner I can find these days Berrymans. It takes about 15 minutes to clean 4 carbs in a basket. Carb cleaners have chemicals that attack the various varnish and other deposits left by gasoline. I don't believe laquer thinner or goop hand cleaner will soak away those deposits easily.

On the other hand I don't blame guys for using other chemicals, a 5 gal pail of carb cleaner isn't cheap either.

Sincere regards, Steve

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo 1967 monza 110/4
1968 monza 110/4 1971 amante gt 110/4

Golden, Colo. CORSA/RMC/PPCC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 29, 2013 03:04AM

Berryman's 5 gal. at O'reilly's... $99!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: August 29, 2013 03:12AM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Berryman's 5 gal. at O'reilly's... $99!

Steve sez: I don't buy from the cut rate stores, the quality of the mechandise is not always the same. Five gallons from CARQUEST is more than that.

Not a matter of what I pay for it, trouble is the home mechanic can't justify paying for real carb cleaner because they don't use it everyday. Plus the smell will make everyone in the neighborhood notice what you are doing in the garage. It has a short shelf life too, particularly if not used, moisture collects in the chemicals. You can't use carb cleaner for normal degreasing either and then expect to clean carbs later, again the chemicals are used up and won't work well cleaning the fuel deposits.

Sincere regards, Steve

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 29, 2013 03:14AM

Luckily the also sell the 1 Gal bucket with tray for $27.99! Just one carb at a time..

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: August 29, 2013 03:18AM

I forgot about the small cans. The disposal of the stuff is still a big problem at least around here. It costs me a bunch to dispose of an old used up pail of about 2 gallons worth.

Sincere regards, Steve

Posted by: Tom Z ()
Date: August 29, 2013 10:05AM

..I bought the 1-gal Berrymans (actually 3/4-gal) from Wallyworld for $18,does ok..for carb bowls I've found Castle Dragonfire spray eats the varnish best,use only short bursts..still using 'bad gas' and diesel mix for greasy stuff in the garage (plastic laundry sink and 5 gal drum drain) tho,with gauntlet chemical gloves..it takes a day or more to clean hands of the gas smell if I don't..

Tom Z,,Rochester NY

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: August 29, 2013 03:29PM

Don’t use lacquer thinner. It’s evaporates very quickly, is flammable, and in the right conditions it is explosive.

You can use the small 1 gallon carburetor cleaner from the flaps, but as Steve says it’s not a good as the commercial stuff.

In Calif. hobby guys can take toxic chemicals, old paint, oil, etc. to a collection station, no charge.

I’ve had good luck with soda blasting, but afterward you should soak the carburetor parts in Simple Green and water to make sure you get all the soda out of the passages.

Date: August 29, 2013 04:04PM

The media blast will only work AFTER the carb is clean of oils/fuels/varnish too. I media blast all of the carbs and it does help clean the bowls and floats as well as the outside. The extra hot water rinse and another blow dry step helps too.

Sincere regards, Steve

Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: August 29, 2013 04:09PM

Laquer thinner is good for degreasing but it will not cut carbon like Berryman's or 2+2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.