Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 8 of 20
Re: My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: June 29, 2014 08:03AM

Oops! Its the self fusing tape here: [www.mcmaster.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: June 29, 2014 07:11PM

Here's some more pictures, related to the engine compartment fuel routing

Attachments:
Date: June 29, 2014 08:07PM

These pictures are on the same side of the engine, and shows a test fitment for my custom fuel rail hold down, which is what the last picture is. That piece still needs to have a hole drilled and tapped (down the skinny part)
and then an arm can be put on it- the arm pushes down on the fuel rail to keep
it in place

Attachments:

Date: June 29, 2014 08:10PM

Drivers side rail test fitting

Attachments:

Date: June 29, 2014 08:12PM

One final pic, showing the overall lay out (sorta)

Attachments:
Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: June 29, 2014 08:54PM

Looking great, are you going to make the meet??

I used that tape to wrap the cracked PG shift cable on my wagon and it has been bone dry ever sense. I am sure it will do the job on your heater hose.

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: June 30, 2014 09:13PM

Sam- Thanks! My goal is to drive it down to Tacoma, but if it happens, the EFI wont be completely finished. Probably, if I do get it up and running by then, it will be running open loop only, as it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get the cross-over manifold back in time -its being modified to accommodate 2 manifold air pressure ports, and a manifold air temperature sensor port. I don't need that stuff to get it running, but I wont consider it
"fully functional" until I get that stuff in. Also, I probably wont have enough
time to get the wastegate installed, so if I do put the weber on, I will have to block off one side, so as to prevent over-boosting, and probably wont be able to get the water injection installed by then, either. Anyways, at this point, I think I will be getting it done, it just wont be completely done!!

Date: July 06, 2014 06:59PM

I was a little concerned with the proximity of the heater hose to the starter and the EFI fuel lines. The heater hose was missing the starter by 1/8" in one spot. I decided to take Sam up on his "bet" that I could make something to protect that hose- so here is what I did about it. With the hose installed, I marked off the spot on the hose with the least clearance, then took the hose off, then built up that area with high temperature self fusing tape.

Attachments:

Date: July 06, 2014 07:08PM

The next heater hose related problem was that the starter cable was hitting the hose- I needed to do something to move that wire away from that hose. I found that if I secured the cable to the frame, as these pictures show, it steered the cable well out of the way of the heater hose. The last picture shows how much the cable is re-directed on the hose side

Attachments:

Date: July 06, 2014 07:58PM

I wasn't happy with the caps that I had to block the ends of the fuel rails- they stuck out way too far when tightened down, and I couldn't tap the holes any deeper than they already were, and I only had 2 of them. I bought 4 more that were shorter, and then those ended up hitting the end of the rail on the hex end before they sealed up. I took those back and bought 4 of this style- much cleaner fit!

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 06, 2014 08:03PM

Sure are!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: July 06, 2014 08:06PM

I got all of the fittings tightened down, and the last 2 things left to do before installing the turbo are to make a line clamp to install in the corner
where the line goes around the outside of the down pipe, and make the toe-clamps for the rail hold down. I cant put the turbo in yet, as I'm afraid that
I wont have any room to drill the mounting holes for the clamp if the turbo is in. I should be able to make those parts in the next couple of days...

Attachments:

Date: July 12, 2014 02:26PM

Here are some pictures of my custom fuel line clamp, installed

Attachments:

Date: July 12, 2014 02:31PM

Here is a couple more. I needed to get this finished before the exhaust and turbo was installed, so now that this task is finished, I can get moving on
all the other stuff! Hopefully, I will have more pictures to post, on the bigger tasks!

Attachments:

Posted by: SpyderMan ()
Date: July 12, 2014 02:53PM

They look great. Your heater hose should be good to go for years to come.

You are so close!!!

Sam Russell
Durham NC
1962 Monza Wagon Ted Brown EFI Gen II
1964 Spyder coupe

Date: July 13, 2014 06:03PM

Thanks Sam!! Finally, I got the turbo on- I was sort of expecting to get this part done yesterday, and was making really great progress on it until I remembered that the outlet pipe needed to go on simultaneously with the inlet pipe- OOPS! I had to take everything back off.... I didn't want to put the outlet pipe on until my welder friend was able to weld the O2 sensor bung in.
That happened this afternoon, so I got it in!

Attachments:

Posted by: aadixon ()
Date: July 13, 2014 06:56PM

This is one crazy corvair. Good looking too!
==

Aaron--Indiana
Cars-66 Corvair Monza, 63 Ambassador Wagon(sold*sadface*),84 Olds Toronado

Date: July 13, 2014 07:41PM

Right on Aaron! Thanks!!
Kevin

Date: July 18, 2014 07:25PM

Here are some pictures of my throttle position sensor bracket that I whipped up
today. I thought that I had allowed enough room for the notch/tang thing to clear the block off bolt on the throat, but it did not, and worse than that, since I was planning on bolting the bracket directly to the throttle body, and
using the weber screws to attach it, I was annoyed to find that the bolts were too long (they bottomed out in the casting) to bolt the bracket as planned. Needing to come up with some sort of spacer, I thought to try using the weber cap- this worked pretty darn slick! the plate clears the bolt and the screws don't bottom out. Nice when simple tricks save some time!! I haven't received
the TPS yet, that will probably show up Monday, (along with a bunch of other stuff) and I'm going to try and get the whole works up and running hopefully
on Tuesday, and drive it down to Tacoma for the last 2 days!!

Attachments:

Date: July 18, 2014 07:36PM

Another part of this project that I've been procrastinating on was to wire up the stack of relays- that kind of stuff drives me crazy, and the relay stack that I had bought previously didn't really make it easy to mount cleanly and all of the wires were going to have to be lengthened- what I really wanted was
something a lot more like this!! centrally located everything and fuses integrated to protect the relays- I have a separate fuse box to protect the devices. I wish I would have found this place a long time ago, this set-up takes care of a lot of headaches for me!!!

Attachments:
Current Page: 8 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.