Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 6 of 20
Re: My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: March 08, 2014 10:19AM

Update- After driving my car for a couple of weeks, I remembered how many other little projects I had to do that were best done with the engine out, and I just knew I would not want to do any of this stuff after getting the efi going. I had a bunch of oil leaks, the engine was a filthy mess, as was the transmission and differential. One of the oil leaks was the crank seal, and the others were related to the turbo. At some point I was going to have to pop the turbo off anyways to replace it with my other one and better secure the high pressure lines for the efi conversion. Also, I had seriously bad brakes, part of the problem was not quite having the parking brake cable adjusted right, but mostly it was a much older problem with pulling to one side. Since the brake lines are very old I decided to replace the rear hard lines as well as the flex lines- and I also needed to better secure and re-route the high pressure fuel line, and finish the connection from the return line for the efi conversion project, as well as tighten some bulkhead connectors that I had previously installed at the firewall. I also discovered I had a slow leak in one of my rear tires, and was becoming worse, so anyways, as many small little projects as I had put off involving jacking the rear of the car up for something, I decided it made a lot of sense to take the engine out, deal with the bugs, and get the efi up and going, instead of the orginal plan to set it up to run it as a either/ or set-up where I could run it on the carb and then switch over to the efi. The engine is now out, and will have some more pictures
up soon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 08, 2014 04:04PM

Wow! that oil cooler doesn't need any cleaning does it? smiling smiley It was clean 30000
miles ago!!

Attachments:
Date: March 08, 2014 04:33PM

This is one of Ray Sedmans removable fan bearing cartridge's- I got one of the first set's whenever that was- notice that there's no notches in the top of the cartridge to aid in removal of the bearing cartridge. Anyways, I noticed that the fan bearings were starting to make some noise, and decided to replace the bearings. I took the shroud off to replace the cartridge once I found that
I couldn't unscrew the cartridge. After taking the bearing housing off the bearing shaft, I again attempted to unthread the cartridge, this time holding the lower part in a vise, clamping on 2 1/4-20 bolt heads threaded into the fan clamping surface. All I succeeded in doing is snapping my strap wrench in half!
I love this bearing cartridge unit, I think it is the slickest, best way to replace the bearings, and these bearings have lasted a very long time, but the
later units with the notches cut in the top of the bearing housing (for use with a spanner wrench) really are a much nicer better way to remove that cartridge.

Attachments:
Date: March 08, 2014 04:38PM

Dirty transaxle!!! It was sure clean and shiny when it was installed in 2008.

Attachments:
Date: March 08, 2014 04:45PM

As oily and messy as everything else was, I was happy to find that the input shaft seals (double sealed) were dry!

Attachments:
Date: March 08, 2014 04:50PM

This is the main reason I had wanted to get the engine out in the first place, so as to tighten these bulkhead connectors, complete the connection for the return line, and better secure the feed line and main wiring harness.

Attachments:
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 08, 2014 05:22PM

63turbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is one of Ray Sedmans removable fan bearing
> cartridge's-

>I found that
> I couldn't unscrew the cartridge. After taking the
> bearing housing off the bearing shaft,

by chance - did you use loctite when you installed it? maybe loctite red? if you did - thats what keeping it from unscrewing.

-Scott V.

Date: March 08, 2014 05:46PM

Scott- I thought about it, I cant remember for certain if I did or not.The only thing that I can remember for sure that I used any red Loctite on was the shaft, I added a few drops to it right before pressing it in to its final height. As tight as that thing is, I probably did though!! that stuff is so baddaxx!! I did a test once where I put red Loctite onto 1/2-13 threads, then threaded a nut on without tightening it, and let it cure. I put a torque wrench on it and I think remember it breaking loose at 25ftlbs! Anyways, I'm getting a new bottom portion so as to avoid anymore frustration getting the old cartridge apart- the new assembly IS NOT GETTING RED LOCTITE!! smiling smiley

Date: April 06, 2014 04:24PM

Here's some more progress- transaxle cleaned (at least as well as I'm going to do!!), engine cleaning is still on going- I'm waiting for my fan and forward shroud piece to come back from the powder coater.

Attachments:

Date: April 06, 2014 04:31PM

Here's one of the new brake lines installed to the new hard line- I'm glad I did this as the old flex line was beginning to swell shut in some spots, even though the line itself was still flexible. I'm waiting for a new Tee to show up from Clarks (they are back ordered right now) before I can do the other side, because the hard line connection to the other side cannot be removed- I need to cut the old line off and replace the tee to install the new hard line.
I'm going to wait until that tee shows up to finish this part

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2014 04:39PM

This is the new efi fuel feed line connection. One thing I need to take care of here is to attach that line to the brace immediately behind that line, so as to get the line safely away from the heater hose. Although I can attach the line to that brace as it is, it looks as though the fit will be a little nicer if I get a AN female to male adapter fitting to put on the existing bulkhead adapter so as to lengthen the connector a little.

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2014 04:44PM

While I have the engine out, I wanted to try and get the wiring and line routing a little nicer than it was- I noticed that the manifold air pressure line and oil pressure line were close to hitting the suspension, so I added some small wire loom material in the problem areas

Attachments:
Date: April 06, 2014 04:49PM

Here's some pic's of my new fiberglass trunk lid that I bought from Clarks a couple weeks ago!

Attachments:

Date: April 20, 2014 08:16PM

Update: I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped to as I was waiting on parts. These AN adapter fittings were some of the parts I needed. I bought these so as to add a little slack to the fuel feed connection, and re-direct the line over closer to the bolt so it would be easy to clamp the line there, and keep it away from the heater hose on that side.

Attachments:

Date: April 20, 2014 08:29PM

I also made some more progress on cleaning the engine. I just got my fan and the sheet metal piece sitting over the bell housing back from the powder coater
last week, so it was time to get these pieces in and installed. I still have to order the engine to body seals and install those- I'm not looking forward to doing that step!!

Attachments:

Date: April 27, 2014 12:47PM

I completed the return line connection, and changed the fuel feed line routing and I'm mostly complete securing these lines.

Attachments:

Date: April 27, 2014 12:57PM

One of the hold ups on this project has been waiting for a rear brake line tee to show up- I didn't want to try and secure lines until I replaced the 2 rear hard lines, and I couldn't get the drivers side rear line off the old tee without cutting it off, so I thought I should wait until the tee showed up before proceeding on the other stuff, so as to avoid leaving a brake line open for a long time. Finally, the tee arrived late last week, so I finished the rear brake line install!

Attachments:

Date: April 27, 2014 01:04PM

There isn't anything wrong with this is there?? smiling smiley I thought the flex line on the other side was bad!!! I'm sure the front brake lines are just as bad as this is...

Attachments:

Date: May 11, 2014 08:10PM

I was planning on getting more done on this project this weekend, but, this was an important step- all lines secured, all fittings tight. When I get the new engine to body seals installed, I will be ready to reinstall the engine!

Attachments:

Date: May 18, 2014 07:18PM

The next task I need to finish is to install new engine to body seals- the last time I did this (2008) I used C-clamps to hold the seal and retaining strip to the side shroud while drilling the holes through the seal so as to
install the staples- I remembered how frustrating it was to keep every thing lined up when the c-clamps were tightened. This time I decided to try a different clamping method.

Attachments:

Current Page: 6 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.