Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 5 of 20
Re: My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: December 13, 2013 07:55PM

Update: So, in the past 2 weeks, I've had to use my super tool a bunch of times, because of various fit problems between the spherical rod end and the steering column- each time the next problem came up the clutch pedal had to come back out, so that bracket had to come back out- in these pictures, notice how much the clutch pedal had to be bent to get every thing to fit well enough
to work.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 13, 2013 08:01PM

Im not to thrilled with the funky bends, but on something like this, functionality is much more important than visual appeal- perhaps at a later date I can make a much nicer one, or start over on another stock one and make
the required bends for clearance a little more clean.

Date: December 13, 2013 08:07PM

Here is the new clutch puller rod attached to the slave- I wasn't happy with how thin the tang was on the other one I made, so I machined a new one, this one is .25" thick on the tang end, and a bit wider around where the pin hole goes.

Attachments:
Posted by: gnvair ()
Date: December 14, 2013 06:13AM

I know a lot of the V8 guys modify the cross shaft under the dash. Here is a good picture of Rick Norris' old Corv8 hydraulic master install.
Wouldn't something like that work better?

Lee J

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 06:14AM by gnvair.

Date: December 14, 2013 09:55AM

I've had a lot of time under the dash contemplating various other methods of actuating that master, and thinking of other ways that would make the attachment simpler, but I hadn't actually thought of using a rotator bar to get
over or under the steering column. I sure wish there were easy to reach vertical surfaces in the trunk in an early, like there are on lates, it would make the install a heck of a lot easier, for sure! I guess the big reason for me to not do something like that is that I don't want to have to take out the gas tank (need to do that if mounting something on the floor pan, as the gas tank is directly on the other side) and there doesn't seem to be any convenient mounting surfaces above- perhaps I could mount some sort of mechanism on the steering column, but it sure looks like I would have a lot more stuff to build, just to actuate the master in a straighter line. What I've
been contemplating recently, that would seriously fix the steering column clearance problem is to get a 7/8" master and then re-locate the spherical rod end UP on the clutch pedal approximately 5/8"- this would miss the steering column well enough to avoid all of the messy ugly bending that I had to do, and
also gives the required throw at the master- I strongly recommend anyone else
contemplating this conversion on an early to do that- much simpler!

Date: December 15, 2013 11:15AM

After getting all of the bolts tight, I checked the pedal throw, and found that the pedal would move the rod approximately .75" then stop. I found that the pushrod was hitting at the master. I found that I could prevent this interference by bending the stud that attaches the spherical rod end to its attaching sleeve- I only bent it enough to move the rod end off line roughly 3/8". Here's one last (I promise, the last pic of this!! gggg..) picture of the
mounting. Now the pedal action is free and smooth, all the way to the floor, so finally I can move on to the rest of the project!

Attachments:
Date: December 28, 2013 02:46PM

Here's some pictures of my recent progress. This first picture is a before picture showing the routing mess that I had still to take care of, and the
after picture is what it looks like now. I had always hated how strangely the
manifold air pressure line, and oil pressure line were routed, but never wanted
to rip the underside of the car apart just to fix that, so now was the time!
I had to disconnect the 2 lines at the gauge end and extricate them from the tunnel, all the way to the back of the car, just to un tangle them and route them along the main wiring harness. I also installed corrugated wire loom at various places over the main wiring harness to better protect it from vibration caused abrasion.

Attachments:

Date: December 28, 2013 02:51PM

I was going to machine a tube separator for the brake and clutch line, but decided to use rubber fuel line instead. I still might machine that piece, but for now, the rubber fuel line trick is going to work just fine.

Date: December 28, 2013 03:08PM

This is the main wiring harness where it goes over the top of the transmission. While un-tangling the manifold and oil pressure lines, I discovered that the main wiring harness was laying on the top of the transmission and that there were numerous abrasion marks all over it- I went and got some corrugated wire loom and managed to install the loom onto the
wiring harness all along the section over the transmission , and zip tie the
harness to the fuel line, all without being able to watch what I was doing-
One arm was on one side of the transmission, the other was on the other side, the trans was blocking my view- I did the whole procedure by feel. Anyways, the
wiring harness is now solidly installed there, with no possibility of touching the tranny.

Attachments:
Date: December 28, 2013 03:23PM

Another project was to make sure that my new machined slave puller rod was going to fit the throw out bearing arm- Because my new puller rod was considerably thicker at this end I couldn't use the stock locator slot and I did not want to take the engine out to modify that slot to accommodate the wider tang, so I just cut the tang off and found some shims at Ace Hardware that I could use to keep the puller rod centered on the arm. I had a arm off my old 140 for test fitting purposes. At least the puller rod fits this arm!!

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: December 28, 2013 03:56PM

Better than new! gg

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: December 28, 2013 03:59PM

Oops I forgot- here is one more picture at the other end of the tunnel showing the newly installed parking brake cable (WOO HOO!!!! victory at last!!), with the clutch cable pulley removed, as I didn't need it any more. In the process of removing this assembly and re-installing it, I managed to pinch the manifold air pressure line on one of the bolt heads- fortunately, I caught this mistake and fixed it (cut the damaged piece out and added a coupler) before putting car back together and then scratching my head as to why it wouldn't make any boost!!
Also, the rear brake line and clutch line are now securely fastened to the underside via a hole in the sheet metal, and then zip tied there- 2 zip ties are used to keep the lines from hitting the sheet metal, the third is for attachment.

Attachments:
Date: December 30, 2013 06:53PM

Yesterday I started working on getting the stock clutch puller rod out, and installing the new one- I was not looking forward to doing this, as this was the first time I had tried taking the rod out before removing the engine, as I normally do- I needed to do it this way, as there is no room in my garage left to pop the engine out- I have to get the hydraulic clutch conversion done first, then move the car. Anyways, the first task was to get the stock one out,
and I ASSUMED (what's that old joke about don't assume anything......) that I would be able to get the cotter pin off after removing the shield, using the opening behind the shield to get at the cotter pin. Very bad assumption! yes it can be done, but it is nearly impossible to remove the cotter pin without drilling a new access hole on the oil pan side of the bell housing. once the new access hole is drilled ( same feature as on the opposite face of the bell housing) then it is relatively simple to get the cotter pin out. The next task
was to install the old shield on the new puller rod- and install the new assembly into the bell housing.

Attachments:

Date: December 30, 2013 06:57PM

Finally! slave installed!

Attachments:

Date: December 30, 2013 07:08PM

Installing the new puller rod with the engine in had it's own special set of challenges, especially since 2 shims had to go in with the puller rod, and then somehow line up the pin, put it through the fork, shims, and puller rod.
I ended up taping the shims to the puller rod, and put the pin in from the top access hole. I was able to pull the tape back off through the puller rod opening (using a pair of needle nose pliers). After lining up the cotter pin hole so that its axis was approximately in line with the puller rod, I installed a hitch pin in the cotter pin hole, so as to make it easier to remove.

Date: January 04, 2014 11:22PM

I ran into a couple of glitches when I initially mounted the slave. Initially,
I mounted the slave directly to the transmission mount, and the puller rod looked like it was a little too close to the u-joint. This didn't seem to be a big deal, but the big problem was that I wanted to easily remove the attached end without un-screwing the slave from the puller rod, so as to avoid also having to un-attach the hydraulic line. The other problem was that I was just about out of threads towards the master. Very hard to describe these little bugs, so here's some pictures of how I fixed my problem. I made a mounting bracket that attaches on the back side of the transmission mount. When I have to remove the slave in the future, I remove the bolt holding the mount to the transmission mount, then rotate it out of the way, then with the other end at the bell housing disconnected, I can slide the puller rod end out of the bell housing, move it down under the bell housing then unthread the puller rod from the slave.

Attachments:

Date: January 04, 2014 11:34PM

The mount is machined from a piece of 4130 steel, painted with 5 coats of krylon rattle can paint. The steps on the side that meets the transmission mount are there to clear the transmission mount and to guarantee that the mount is not touching directly under the bolt hole- if it were touching only under the bolt, then the bolt is subject to bending stress and tension, if it
has clearance directly under the bolt, then the bolt is only subjected to tension

Date: January 04, 2014 11:43PM

This last picture shows part of the clutch line, as it is bent up and over the transmission mount. I wanted to do this last section out of s.s. braided line,
so as to allow the line to give when detaching the slave, however that is a small thing that can be done at a later date. Now that all my lines are attached, I can bleed them, and if I don't find any leaks, I can put the car back together tomorrow!!

Attachments:
Date: January 05, 2014 09:22PM

A small update- I got the clutch line bled tonight, I only found one leak- I forgot to tighten one of the fittings- after taking care of that, the clutch appears to be working fine. I still need to check the throw at the slave, and
make sure I don't have any other leaks somewhere, but it sure was cool to actually have the clutch moving!

Date: January 25, 2014 01:10PM

Final update for the hydraulic actuated clutch project- right after the previous post, I found that I had an excessive amount of throw at the master, and the effort to push the clutch was much more than I would have thought- then I realized that with all of the bending that I'd done to the pedal to gain clearance at the steering column, I had dramatically reduced the leverage.
Since I was planning on replacing that bent up ugly pedal anyways, I figured it might not be a bad idea to drill another hole in it, so as to experiment with a much shorter master throw. Noticing that I was able to locate the spherical rod end up into the un-bent portion of the clutch pedal, and still had enough throw there, I bought another stock pedal, and located the new hole
in approximately the same spot, so I was able to get this set-up to work without mangling the clutch pedal and without interference with the steering column, and no bending of the master push rod. I am sort of right at the limits of the throw with this set-up, as I don't quite have a .75 slave movement, (.72 is more like what I've measured), and the clutch pedal height has to be higher than the brake pedal. I may end up buying a different master
with a larger bore, so as to move that spherical rod end up much closer to the
pivot, and end up with a pedal height more like stock.

Just today, I went out and drove my car for the first time since April of last year- It was kind of an emotional moment for me when I got the car started and everything seemed to be working as it should. When I put the car up on blocks, my mom was still alive, and she had gotten sick a few weeks after I started working on this project, so when she died, my project sort of turned into a marker of sorts, the last time everything was as it should be, and now that the
project is over, its as though I finished the book and closed it, and can now start a new one!

Attachments:
Current Page: 5 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.