Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 20
Re: My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 11, 2013 11:11AM

Thanks Scott!! here is another picture of the roller bearing shifter, up close
so as to see the gimble and bearings-

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 11, 2013 02:07PM

Here are some more pics that fall into the "driver comfort" category: sport seats!! If you ever wanted to see what an early looks like with Corbeau Sport
seats and rear "Baja" seat, here you go. My car is approximately 200lbs lighter
than stock- these seats represent a bit over half the weight savings, so this
modification isn't strictly for comfort

Attachments:

Date: August 11, 2013 02:34PM

Both the front and rear seats were a major pain to install cleanly- with the fronts, the problem was the floor pan mounts were wider than the mounts on the seats, and the adapters for using the corbeau seat sliders (which are extremely
nice) only make it harder and heavier to mount the seats. If I was going to use the Corbeau seat sliders, and not mess with the floor pan I was going to have to make another cross bar to re-widen the slider mounts- this seemed way too clunky and heavy too me, as the mounts and adapters would have added 10- 15 lbs per seat!! That just simply wasn't going to work for me, so I elected to use my stock Spyder seat sliders, and ditch all of the cross bars and adapters for the corbeau seat sliders, and just make some adapters that widen the corbeau seat mounts- here is a picture of the adapters- the hole to the outside of the seat threads into the stock corvair seat sliders- I think I had to lengthen the holes on the sliders a slight amount, and added some spacers to raise the seats a bit, but otherwise a fairly clean install!

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2013 02:42PM

The center bolt on the seat adapter threads into the original corbeau mounting
point, the two other bolts on each adapter are through bolts, that use the adapter holes as drill guides. The center bolt was cinched down good and tight,
then the other two holes were drilled through, then the adapter was removed and the holes were deburred, then the adapter was put back on with the through bolts, effectively pinning the adapter.

Date: August 11, 2013 03:01PM

The rear seat presented a different type of problem, in that the places where it made sense to mount the seat, the floor pan wasn't exactly designed to accommodate a point load, and that the ideal location for the rear mounts would interfere with the heater ducts- it occurred to me that the later 64 heater ducts, which are plastic and way lighter and smaller, might work, so I asked on virtual vairs if someone could show me some pictures of a 64 floor pan with the heater ducts installed- someone just so happened to be doing some work on their 64 floor pan, and was able to post the picture that I needed to see- it was obvious after seeing the picture that there was all kinds of room
to put some mounts in if I used the 64 heater ducts. Anyways, here are the rear
seat mounts.

Attachments:

Date: August 18, 2013 07:26PM

Okay, time for a update- I got the mount bolted up and sealed, then applied por15 over the gray sikaflex (urethane) sealer that I used- the adhesion of the por15 to the sealer appears to be excellent. A problem that I had was that
one of the brake lines was seized up in the brass tee- I needed to get those
lines out of there, as Im going to be getting a aluminum brake master cylinder
that has two ports on both sides. My old rusty master cylinder has ports that
exit towards the clutch master, and decided that the line routing would turn out much nicer if they exited from the other side, away from the clutch master.
Anyways, heres a couple of shots showing the mount, sealed up, with that hateful messed up brass tee (finally!) removed. The last picture is my "new" scissor jack, which is out of a Porsche 944. Its 4 lbs lighter than my stock
jack!!

Attachments:

Date: September 07, 2013 01:45PM

Time for an update: I recently had my gutted weber 45dcoe on the flow bench, and also tested a "stock" crown/ weber manifold, vs a heavily modified crown weber manifold. The first set of tests are flowing at 10" of water, as described, the last set of tests are done with a late corvair turbo charger inlet bolted to the flow bench, and the flow test depression was set to flow the housing as though the turbo was nearly maxed out, and then the manifold's and tb was flow tested at that test depression, bolted to the turbocharger inlet, on the flow bench- a very interesting set of tests.

At 10":

225 - Stock manifold with a 1/4” clay radius on top
242 - Nash manifold with a 1/4” clay radius on top

248 - Nash manifold with a 1/4” clay radius on top, plus material added to to merge

221 - Throttle body, no air horns, 1/4” clay radius on top, stock manifold.

234.5 - Throttle body, no air horns, 1/4” clay radius on top, Nash manifold.

219 - Throttle body, air horns, stock manifold.

237.5 - Throttle body, air horns, Nash manifold.

196 - Throttle body, one throat, no stacks, no clay radius

200 - Throttle body, one throat, with 1/4” clay radius on top

196 - Throttle body, one throat, with Nash air horn (Long)
195 - Throttle body, one throat, with DCOE air horn (Short)

198 - Add clay radius and material to horn

-------------------------------------------

Mount the turbo inlet housing on the bench, drawing air thru the inlet of the housing, discharging into the flow bench thru the large radius side of the inlet housing. Test plate hole diameter should be fairly large in relation to the inlet radius of the turbo housing, so as to not upset the flow on that side.

With a clay radius greater than or equal to .4 inches on the inlet mouth of the turbocharger inlet housing, jog the test depression until the manifold flows 400 cfm. Depression is 22.8"

Using the above noted depression and the turbocharger housing still mounted to the flow bench, install test the following:

376 - The stock manifold with 1/4” clay radius on top.

367 - The stock manifold and throttle body.

390 - Nash manifold with1/4” clay radius on top

378 - Nash manifold with throttle body.

Date: September 07, 2013 02:00PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the modified crown weber manifold, although the "Nash manifold" tested above is this one, but has had a considerable amount of work done on it since the picture was taken. The merge/divider has been almost completely blown out, and the connection to the turbo inlet end has
been match fitted to the housing using close fitting steel sleeves in the bolt
holes, and the tb/ to manifold has been well matched also.

The "stock manifold" is a unmodified crown manifold

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: September 07, 2013 02:07PM

Work of an artist!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 07, 2013 02:14PM

An interesting little tidbit: in the last test where the t/b and manifold flows
378cfm at 22.8" of water, for it to flow 400cfm only takes 2.1" water vacuum more, vs flowing open, as though it was a blow through! this is nearly the same restriction as a aircleaner that is rated at 400 cfm.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 07, 2013 08:29PM

63turbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An interesting little tidbit: in the last test
> where the t/b and manifold flows
> 378cfm at 22.8" of water, for it to flow 400cfm
> only takes 2.1" water vacuum more, vs flowing
> open, as though it was a blow through! this is
> nearly the same restriction as a aircleaner that
> is rated at 400 cfm.

thats alot of flow bench work. thx for posting the tests. that is cool that you have a real flow bench to test all this stuff & see what it does. no bs w/them facts!

-Scott V.

Date: September 08, 2013 10:58AM

Thanks Scott! I don't have a flow bench- Ray Sedman at American-pi did the flow testing. I will tell you, I did not set out to turn that manifold into a art project (although that's sorta what happened, and it was fun!)- many years
ago when I was running that manifold on my car I began cutting away the divider, (which normally runs all the way up to the center exit hole) and then
putting the manifold back on and then go do a 0-60 test. I observed no change
at all, but then decided that it "HAD" to have some effect if I cut enough away, so I kept at it, until I cut it back so far that it needed welding on the
back side to avoid breaking through. I think I had my manifold welded on three
separate occasions, and probably cut that divider back about 2" before I was able to notice a change in 0-60 times. I was sure at that time the divider modification had something to do with it- but now that it has been on the flow bench (a couple of times!) I'm able to say with confidence that the change in flow is mostly attributed to the change in area at the at mouth of the manifold
where it meets the turbo inlet- The "stock" crown manifold that was tested is sized to be about right for a late turbo, the modified one was matched exactly to fit a late turbo, by making close fitting steel sleeves to "dowel" the manifold to the turbo inlet at the bolt holes and, with the assembly bolted up, carefully filling away the excess material on the manifold without removing any material from the turbo inlet.
Kevin

Date: September 14, 2013 09:55AM

Another interesting little bit about the flow bench test set-up for the 400 cfm flow test set-up. Ray had the stock late turbocharger inlet on the flow bench and began dialing up the flow test depression- he got up to 33" and still
had not got 400 cfm out of the turbo inlet, and was pondering using a bigger
flow bench and then decided to add the .4" clay radius ( I had calculated that
the radius needed to be at least that big, given the inlet diameter) and then,
all of a sudden, the test depression needed to be reduced from 33+ to 22.8 to get the required 400 cfm for the remaining tests. This shows the importance of a radius entry (especially at high airspeeds- at 400 cfm, the air is coming into the turbo housing at 243 miles/hr), and also how little the difference is
between a radius entry and a well prepared 2 into 1 manifold and or a well prepared, slightly undersized throttle body sitting on a 2 into 1 manifold.
Although I will be running the dcoe throttle body for a while, ultimately I will be using a gutted 48ida on this same manifold. At that size, there should
be nearly zero difference in flow between running the manifold vs the t/b + the manifold.

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: September 14, 2013 12:34PM

Very nice looking manifold! I was talking with Ray a while back about a modified manifold to get better flow with my dcoe and he mentioned the flow bench work he was doing for someone else. Good to see the results. I ended up going with this manifold which will mount right up to e flow housing. Haven't run it yet though so I don't know what kind of difference I'll see til I get my clutch in and everything back in the car. I bet you can't wait to get that efi turbo running!

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Attachments:
Date: September 15, 2013 08:15AM

Nate- Your new manifold (and turbo!!) oughta flow a "little more" air!! smiling smiley
Man that thing is HUGE! You will have to give a report on your car after you get it back on the road again with that set-up- looks like it ought to be a
real fine rocketship! And yes, I cant wait to get my efi up and going, but at
my leisurely pace, I will be lucky if it gets done in time for Tacoma next year!

Date: September 29, 2013 04:07PM

I finally got my new brake master cylinder, which I got because it has right side ports. I did this so as to have more room on the clutch master side. Bending the new lines has been a serious challenge for me, I think I wasted
six or seven other pieces of line before I got these two bent. I still have to
flare the one last end, but that part is easy compared to the line bending!

Attachments:

Date: September 29, 2013 04:12PM

Patience and perseverance always pay off!

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: September 30, 2013 07:55PM

Thanks Matt!- I do have a question- perhaps you or someone else that knows the
"American Car Parts catalog" much better than I do knows- the junction block/
brass tee things that I used to make the line connections at the trunk surface
are the early Corvair brass three way tee that I bought from Clarks- I thought it would be a nice thing to mount the clutch master line the same way, although what would be really slick is the same exact fitting except only 1 in and 1 out, instead of 1 in and three outs and plugging off 2. Is there such a thing? A potential problem with putting another of the three way tees in is the
block off plugs take up a lot of room- and may complicate the clutch master
connection on that side.

Date: September 30, 2013 08:00PM

Surely there is... that would be a straight Bulkhead fitting..

Date: September 30, 2013 08:30PM

Exactly!- except I'm looking for a bulkhead fitting that attaches via those sheet metal nuts like the ones I'm currently using, and uses brake flare fittings on both sides like the ones I'm currently using- all of the bulkhead fittings that I've seen so far use an type connections on one side or the other- not quite what I'm looking for. Those "sheet metal nut thingys" that
I got from Clarks are slick, as they will come off without damaging the block,
even if the nut gets rusted in place (as I found out removing the original one)
and I'd like to find that same exact mounting if possible- these types of fittings aren't unique to corvairs- aren't there other American cars that have
these same type of blocks?

Current Page: 2 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.