home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 18
My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: 63turbo ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:52PM

Here's a couple of pictures of my most recent project, which is a hydraulic actuated clutch conversion. By far, the most difficult part of this project, has been the clutch master mount- I just HAD to turn it into a art project, and
attempt to make a mount that looked like it kinda sorta could have "possibly" been some
super secret ultra rare factory optional bolt in modification. It only took
4 separate flat patterns, each one cut and bent cold using a brass bar, hammer and bench vise. Fortunately I have a welder friend that lives up the street from me, and was able to bring his welder over and tack the various pieces together on the car, then the mount would come back off, the welding was completed for that piece, then the welds were ground down, then the next flat pattern was made and so on...

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My 63 Turbo, daily driver, various project pictures
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:59PM

Details!! that's what makes them interesting to look at!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: August 09, 2013 10:22PM

Interestingly enough, the last pattern I had to make was a piece directly below the master- when my friend welded in the new piece, he accidently blew through in a couple of spots and had to fill it back in again, and when I got the mount back, I thought it was ruined, because of all the grinding involved.
heres what the mount looked like showing the flat pattern, now imagine it is just a big glob of weld. It was really important that it be curved and cupped like it is in this flat pattern, as there is hardly any clearance under the master there. There was a SERIOUS amount of grinding on that one part of that mount- I think I spent 4 hours (maybe more) grinding that one piece to get it right!

Attachments:
Date: August 09, 2013 10:37PM

Some other little tidbits about this project- one, I collected up all of the pieces that I had removed that were necessary to operate the cable system, and
weighed them and compared that weight with all of the new pieces (including this mount) that were required for the hydraulic clutch set-up- I found that the new set-up is 3 lbs lighter than the cable actuated system. Also, I got the
clutch master and slave from CB performance- this is the one that is listed as
being the "universal or for Corvair" kit- I just HAD to order from them because
of that. Also, I just recently bolted and sealed the mount up permanently, and decided to seal all of the seams with SIKAFLEX urethane sealer, as I figured that the urethane sealer would stick to the POR15 that had been applied- Just tonight I tried to peel up some of the sealer- it aint going anywhere!! that sealer is permanent!! really, a very nice surprise.

Date: August 10, 2013 12:15AM

Another cool little modification that I made in the interest of comfort was this ultra trick little item, my shifter- I machined the handle out of titanium, and the housing is machined from aluminum. The roller bearing gimble eliminates absolutely all false motion, and feels frictionless compared to the stock shifter assembly- the pivot length on my shifter is 3" compared with the stock Spyder pivot length of approximately 2 inches- the throw on this shifter is a bit over 4" (I seem to recall the stock shifter throw at something like 7.5 inches), but is still light enough to shift with one finger. Another cool little bit about it is that because the shifter assembly unbolts from the top with an allen wrench, it takes about 5 minutes to pop the shifter out to change the shift ratio/ and or make adjustments to the shifter ball height relative to the selector shaft-unlike the stock method that uses shims bolted underneath the shifter housing.

Attachments:
Date: August 10, 2013 09:54AM

In the second picture of the hydraulic clutch master mount, next to the blue plastic cap, there's a piece of rusty sheet metal bolted to the trunk- this is not a poorly done rust repair- it is an inspection cover for my in tank efi fuel pump and fuel level sender. Here's a couple of pics of the tank, before it
was installed. The wires and line go between the tank and the interior sheet metal, positioning the fuel line to go down the center tunnel.

Attachments:

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 10:09AM

Nice,proffessional looking job. Good work.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: August 10, 2013 10:13AM

Some pretty cool modifications you've got there. I especially like the shifter. Do the earlies have a housing like the late 4 speed or is it a boot? Does that fit inside? I bet you could easily sell those.

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Date: August 10, 2013 10:22AM

Setterz54- Thanks!! here's a couple more pics showing the fuel line routing as it enters the tunnel, and then the funky routing down the tunnel- I chose to do it like this so as to protect the fuel line as best I could from rocks and what not. It is an extremely tight fit between the tank and the body sheet metal- when I first tried getting the tank in, the line was hitting the body. I found that I could take care of this little problem by adding 1/16 UHMW tape
strips to the tank -instead of the "anti squeak" material normally used.

Attachments:

Date: August 10, 2013 11:01AM

Nate- all of the shifter housings are essentially the same at the shifter base- I don't know if theres supposed to be some sort of boot over the top of the housing on the early shifters- mine never had that if there was supposed to be-
All I know is that there is a off the shelf boot that I could buy from Mcmaster-Carr that does fit my custom shifter assembly- I've just not put one on, because I liked the way it looks bare. Here is another picture of the shifter, showing how it is now, with its current shift ratio ( the first picture was close to a stock spyder shift ratio). If this shifter ever makes it to a limited production run, I plan on making the O.D. of the shifter housing approximately the same as the stock ones are (mine is way smaller) so that the stock corsa boot could fit on there.

Attachments:
Date: August 10, 2013 11:29AM

If I recall correctly, I've had the shifter on since 2000 or 2001, and have put 50-60000 miles on it- the only bugs that I've found so far have been that the smaller "side" bearings got a little loose, and needed to be replaced- the production version of this shifter has the side bearings as large as the front bearings, and the gimble is much larger and simpler to make and fit correctly.
The only other bug was that the first shift handle that I made for it attached
too close to the top of the pivot, (this can be seen in the first picture) and
created a stupidly large stress concentration at the shift handle attachment point- I shifted into third gear once and had the handle SNAP OFF in my hand-
my wife was with me when this happened- she was laughing so hard!!! I just so happened to have a flat bladed screw driver in the glove box that I was able to set into the gimble to function as a emergency shift handle, and we were able to make it back home! This current shift handle has the problem corrected
by attaching the handle farther away from the pivot, and also by having a proper radius (like I should have had on it the first time). The production version of this shifter will handle this attachment much more cleanly and be even stouter than this is, but probably wont be made of Titanium, as cold bending Ti is a seriously good way to go crazy without even trying- it has a NASTY tendancy to snap in half with little or no warning. S.S 304v is much much more forgiving that way!!

Date: August 10, 2013 12:04PM

Also, If this shifter is something you might be interested in purchasing, contact Ray Sedman at American-pi, and ask to be put on the waiting list for a possible group purchase- EXPECT that this shifter will be as expensive as any other aftermarket shifter- (approximately 350.00$ maybe a bit more).

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: August 10, 2013 03:24PM

theres some very cool stuff!

really nice welding on that efi tank. did you do the welding/fab work?

-Scott V.

Date: August 10, 2013 03:44PM

Scott- I did not do the welding and fab on the tank- That is a Ray Sedman special!! he offers those tanks modified like that- in my case, I had bought a brand new tank from Clarks, then procrastinated about putting it in, then Ray sent me some pictures of his in tank efi fuel pump and sender conversion- since I was then contemplating the efi conversion, and since it is HIGHLY recommended that the old tank be replaced when going to efi, I decided to send my new tank down to Ray and let him modify it, so when I was ready to replace the tank, I could get the efi pump and fuel level sender all installed all at once, and continue to run on the carb and low pressure electric fuel pump until I was ready to do the switch over to the efi. I think the modification for the tank was 150.00, but I'm not sure. The recommendation to replace that old 50 old fuel tank when moving over to efi is a really good one- when I took the stock tank out, there was a 1/4-3/8 thick layer of rust on the bottom of the tank- a FINE way to ruin the new efi fuel pump!

Date: August 11, 2013 09:04AM

Here are some more pictures of the efi fuel line routing from the other end of the tunnel-It was extremely difficult to figure out the routing!!! the problem
was that the line had to enter the tunnel on one side, then cross to miss the
transmission selector shaft. I originally thought I could simply send the line
all the way down the tunnel on the same side it entered, however, the throttle linkage is in the way at the engine end of the tunnel. The corrugated loom has
the fuel line inside it.

Attachments:

Date: August 11, 2013 09:16AM

As seen here the fuel line crosses up over the top of the shift coupler, and goes between the rear suspension mount and the body- the line loops back up
over the top of the transmission and enters the engine compartment on the same
side as the stock fuel line does.

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2013 09:42AM

Here is a picture showing the fuel line and fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2013 10:12AM

The fuel leaves the regulator on the right side, enters the tee- from there
fuel goes to both rails and does not return-it "dead heads" just like modern cars. I had a heck of a time figuring out how to deal with keeping the fuel line as far away from the turbo as I could on that side-in fact, this "non return from the rails" type of fuel system configuration was mostly done to keep that line as far away from the exhaust as I could. This picture shows the
line routing on the turbo side- lots of room!!

Attachments:
Date: August 11, 2013 10:34AM

The last bit of work to do on the efi fuel lines is to pop the turbo off so as
to secure the line on that side, add insulation to the line there,make fuel rail hold downs, cap off the ends of the rails, and add fuel pressure test ports on the other end of the rails. I also need to hook the return line to the
existing stock inlet line. Temporarily, I will be using the efi fuel pump to
feed the carburetor, by connecting the carburetor feed line to the return on the efi fuel pump. When I make it that far, I will also (temporarily) have a shut off valve to the carb, so I can run it on the carb, shut fuel to the carb,
run the efi system and tune it- if I don't get the tuning close enough to continue driving it that way, I switch off the efi, open the fuel line to the carb, and revert to the carb until the next efi de-bugging session!

Posted by: Scott V ()
Date: August 11, 2013 10:47AM

the pics & info is great!

thx.

-Scott V.

Current Page: 1 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.