Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
leaky trans...anybody know what this is?
Posted by: Tomslick ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:29PM

I put my '63 'vert on a rack to see if I could figure out where it's leaking. It looks like it's coming out of this round thing that is attatched to the left side of the PG. Can anyone tell me what it is and, if it is leaking, how to fix it? I looked at pictures and schematics of the PG transmission but didn't find anything that looks like this. Any other problem areas to check for leaks?

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: leaky trans...anybody know what this is?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:34PM

That's the governor.... search here for tips on fixing it... fairly easy...

But you need to go pay someone to steam clean that pig!! [ I have one too!!]

In SoCal my bud bought a car.. wanted it steamed... $400! '46 Ford

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: May 06, 2013 06:39PM

Most common leak area is the shift cable which can be a bit deceiving.Fluid leak will travel back towards the trans due to the forward motion of the car.Carefully clean the cable and you may find a split in the outer sheathing.I've had good results using "Rescue Tape" after making sure the cable is really clean.Just did one today and it seems fine after a road test.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Date: May 07, 2013 05:16PM

Thanks Matt. I'll see what I can find and see about getting it fixed. And yes, she does need a bath under there but $400 for a steam clean?!? I'll take it to work and do it for free. Just now getting some decent weather so I can actually get out and drive it smiling smiley

Date: May 07, 2013 05:20PM

Thanks for the heads up Bill. So is the shift cable what you can see in my pic in front of the governor? Or is that something else like maybe the speedo cable? It's gonna take me a little while to figure out what's where on this thing.

Date: May 07, 2013 05:28PM

speedo cable with thumbnut

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: May 08, 2013 04:55AM

Thanks.

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: May 08, 2013 05:51AM

I can vouch for the Rescue Tape repair. My cable was leaking and it turned out the leak was inside the tunnel. I found a small 1/8" long nick in it that made a huge mess. You may want to drop your tunnel cover and check for trans fluid in there. When you drive the fluid will get blown back on everything.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2014 Honda Accord V6 (DD)
2017 Honda Pilot (wifemobile)
2012 Chevy Sonic 1.8L (kid's car)
1997 Honda CBR1100XX
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (no longer own)

Date: May 08, 2013 05:54PM

Thanks Greg. I'll check that out too. Hopefully I can spend some time on it this weekend and get it figured out.

Posted by: engr1962 ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:12AM

I have the same PG shift cable leak, do I need to disconnect the cable from the PG, or just wrap the tape in place? The spot of the leak is right where it goes through front trans mount.

Posted by: graschris ()
Date: February 25, 2018 11:49AM

Hi I have a 67 vert with leaky trans cable when it sits. what does the o-ring seal do to seal cable/trans ?.do I want to put a new oring on it now that it is drained? is it easy.? I have a gm service manual but it talks about the o-ring when replacing the cable. NOT clear on o-ring replacement. I am putting on a nice PG original trans pan as mine had huge dents and was brazed. I replaced o-ring on governor. Trans worked great other than leaks O don't want to mess it up.want to do what I can before installing pan and refilling Thanks Chris

Date: February 25, 2018 12:05PM

There are TWO O-rings that should be replaced.... Though the Cable's sheathing may be cracked also

One O-ring is on the end of the cable housing....

The other is on the TV shaft on that side of the trans... pan is off?

Best time to do everything as you can SEE!!

Posted by: 2ragtops ()
Date: February 25, 2018 02:05PM

I have had experience with two Governors leaking form the ball end, the crimp apparently gives up and it leaks from the bell.

I have siliconed them, plastic steel and epoxy and nothing seems to fix them, just replace it.

Bob Bauer

Show-Me Corvairs

1966 Monza Convert 140 P/G with A/C, plastic wheel with tele-column am-fm posi-traction
1966 Corsa Convert 180 wood wheel tele-column am-fm sport steering posi-traction
1965 Corsa Coupe Crown V8 mounted mid-body temporarily red lined for repair
House Springs, Missouri

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.