Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
American Flat 6

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Adhesive Remover, what to use?
Posted by: Corvairscott ()
Date: May 02, 2013 09:44PM

What should I use to remove adhesive? I have acetone, paint thinner, denatured alcohol. I might even have adhesive remover for flooring. My 1962 rampside has adhesive all over the dash, top and front, roof and around back window. I just ripped out the gold vinyl that covered the whole interior. I either want to paint or lay down new vinyl. Painting seems easier. I saw a can of spray on adhesive remover for $10 at autozone. I've used adhesive/glue remover that was in a tube in gel form to remove a glued on sink. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Scott

San Diego, CA

Corvairscott@aol.com

I never met a Corvair I didn't like.....

1961 Rampside, 1961 Lakewood,
1962 Monza (Canadian) 1962 Rampside Deluxe
1965 Monza w AC, 1965 Corsa, 1965 MonzAvenger BSS
(Bud Short Special)

Oh yah...196? Covair van...also a corvair dune buggy!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adhesive Remover, what to use?
Posted by: lgoodwin ()
Date: May 02, 2013 09:52PM

If the adhesive is a spirit based contact cement, there is a product specifically for that. Have not used it in many years, forget what they call it, but used to use it to remove plastic laminate from counter tops, etc. After it dries, the remaining cement can be "painted" over with more contact cement so you can re-glue the piece.
However, this stuff may dissolve some types of materials. I only used it on p-lam that was glued to wood. Does not harm the p-lam.

I've also had good luck removing many different adhesives using Goop hand cleaner. Any brand of the goopy white hand cleaner will do. It's also great for getting grease out of clothing. When I made a new backer panel for one of the doors on my Mustang, I had to remove a BUNCH of really sticky white adhesive that a P.O. had slathered all over the door (must have been trying to glue the warped panel down). I scraped off as much of the glue as possible using a plastic scraper, then used the Goop to "wear down" the rest of the glue. Once you get it down to a thin layer, you can finish up with one more application of Goop and wipe it off.

1962 Corvair 900 sedan1967 Corvair Monza 140/4-speed1968 Corvair 500 coupe1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0
1962 900 sedan needs a home1967 Monza 140/4-spd1968 500 coupe (now my son's)1983 Mexican Mustang 5.0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 09:55PM by lgoodwin.

Posted by: jrdriver8 ()
Date: May 02, 2013 09:54PM

If it is soft, spraying WD40 and letting it sit for a few days will remove it. If hard, I suggest that you use Laquer Thinner and GLOVES. You can also use a heat gun and putty knife to scrape it off.

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: May 02, 2013 11:30PM

How about the stuff called "Goo be gone" or something similar. I used it on some adhesive not long ago and it did a good job.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then!

Front profile now!

Posted by: unsafe62 ()
Date: May 02, 2013 11:32PM

goo gone, mineral spirits or even lighter fluid for zippo lighters?

Shawn
Charles city, Iowa
My facebook page:
[www.facebook.com]
My videos of various things including a couple Corvair videos
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 11:33PM by unsafe62.

Posted by: richard1 ()
Date: May 03, 2013 01:00AM

For many years I have used a product so cheap that most wouldn't think of it. I used to have lost of problems with people putting stickers on things and then scratching the surface (that's how I learned to refinish stainless steel in the 70's).

Take some cooking oil, better if it is used, and smear it over the surface. Let it stand overnight and wipe it off with a paper towel. If they are plastic stickers or there is plastic over the glue you have to scratch through it so the oil can get to the glue.

Restoration in Bolivia
Richard's Mini Pickup
Richard's Corvair
Richard's Renault Dauphine

Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair
Selection of the right transmission oil for the corvair
How to polish and restore stainless and aluminum trim

Posted by: cooterr ()
Date: May 03, 2013 01:04AM

Scott,

Don't know if it is available through retail but in the aircraft maintenance world we use a product called "citrsafe". It is a citrus based adhesive remover that will not hame plastics or finishes. It is the best stuff I have ever used for the purpose of removing adhesive. It works on old contact cement, tape adhesives, stickers, auto trim adhesive. It is made by Inland Technology Inc. 2612 Pacific Highway East. Tacoma Wa.

Tom Miller
Performance Corvair Group
Circle City Corvairs
Corsa

Posted by: diegocorsa ()
Date: May 03, 2013 02:36AM

I use 3M aerosol adhesive remover, works great. Don't use it in a closed area or you'll get higher than a kite!

-Cory
'66 Corsa
Sunny San Diego
Photobucket photo ed03adc1-0fc2-480b-85d8-8750488f366c_zps4b08feec.jpg

Posted by: Corvairscott ()
Date: May 03, 2013 02:42AM

Wow good advice! I like the idea of using old cooking oil. I have WD-40, read that it's fish oil based. Also that citrus stuff sounds good, I could check the airport see if they have it too... Sounds like I might not have to use harmful solvents afterall?

Scott

San Diego, CA

Corvairscott@aol.com

I never met a Corvair I didn't like.....

1961 Rampside, 1961 Lakewood,
1962 Monza (Canadian) 1962 Rampside Deluxe
1965 Monza w AC, 1965 Corsa, 1965 MonzAvenger BSS
(Bud Short Special)

Oh yah...196? Covair van...also a corvair dune buggy!

Posted by: FLAVert ()
Date: May 03, 2013 06:45AM

3M adhesive remover or WD-40. I'd start with WD-40.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.