Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Rear wheel well lip repair
Posted by: 65moredoor ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:19PM

Hi I am new here, but not new to Corvairs. I have had three Corvairs (65 monza sedan, 65 corsa coupe, 65 monza coupe), but currently have my only one. I currently own a 65 Monza four door 110/PG. I bought the car in 2004 and it was my first car and my first restoration. It was the cover car of the May 2006 Communique (I think it was that issue). The car has been great to me, but due to being an everyday driver on and off between my 65 Corsa coupe during high school the salt has taken its toll. All the patches I did in 2005 held up great, but new areas of the car have popped, mainly on the rear quarters. My question is what do you guys think about the fiberglass patches for the rear wheel well opening lip? I like messing with steel but none are available. I don't want to deal with bonding the fiberglass, but just want to know whats been done in the past.

As a side note, does anyone on here have my old Corsa? Dark green coupe with white and green interior. It had a speaker box in the package area, and a mild 140 in it. I saw it on ebay last summer and it had mag wheel covers on it. I attached a picture of my 4 door and the corsa.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear wheel well lip repair
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 17, 2013 02:54PM

Few talk well about Fiberglass patching

Look at Rockauto for panels.....it was a surprise that they sold them!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: April 17, 2013 03:08PM

I got some used sheet metal from one of the used parts vendors (California Corvairs, I think). Don't waste your time with fiberglass. Btw, the 4-door wheel well is the same as the 2-door in the immediate vicinity of the wheel well opening.

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Attachments:

Posted by: Am-Iron ()
Date: April 17, 2013 03:53PM

Corvair Ranch, California Corvairs, Davemotohead, all have good rust free parts. I would say metal as well. Fiberglass will never rust again but if the area around it rusts again the repair will be more difficult. Metal repairs are also better when it comes time to sell. I never like to work with glass but it does have it's benefits, just not there, imho. Good luck with whatever you choose.

1965 Monza road race build, 1965 Corsa Convertible, 1962 Corvan, 1966 Corsa Turbo
[www.facebook.com] C.O.G. Page
Allen Amrine Colorado Springs, CO. 303-325-5968

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: April 17, 2013 03:58PM

I don't think Rockauto has wheel lip repair parts.

They have some patchpanels, but the fit is questionable. Their catalog has so many items that they say will fit.

Left Hand FENDER Rear LOWER SECTION $59.79

Left Hand QUARTER PANEL Rear SECTION 2/4 Door $194.79

Left Hand QUARTER PANEL Front SECTION 2 Door $95.79

A new full wheel lip piece would definitely be helpful to many of us.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: dedwinson ()
Date: April 17, 2013 04:21PM

I had to repair the lip on all four wheel wells and hand made them piece by piece out of steel. I kept the sections relatively small to be more managable since I had most of each lip to repair.

I took a piece of flat sheet metal and bent it to 90 degrees leaving enough on each side angle to cover what I wanted.

I cut a series of "V" shaped grooves out of one side of the new 90 degree bent steel. This allowed me to easily bend the steel to fit the opening. I don't have any metal stretchers so this was my only option. Back in the 80's I could find these strips at the local FLAPS, but didn't find any when I needed them so I made them.

These individual tabs left on the angle were then bent, one at a time, to match the outer curve of the wheel well. If you look at it, the lip comes out flat, turns 90 degrees, then stays flat for about 1/2 inch then curves into the body panel.

I then bent the steel to fit the opening and tacked in the piece to hold it. Next I filled the space between the "V" cutouts that now have expanded a bit with the bend, naturally adjusting the fit of the tabs slightly as needed to fit the contours.

Grind, sand, fill, sand, and now you can't tell there was even a fix.

Dave Edwinson
Doing Vairly well in Minnesota
'66 Vert 140HP
www.frontiernet.net/~dedwinson

Posted by: 66cv8 ()
Date: April 17, 2013 07:51PM

My hoarding provides me with lots of metal scraps. I broke down several folding tables with a buddy and kept the metal framework.

Cut to size on bandsaw, carefully heated and bent around a form I made to match the repair. Trimmed, fit and welded.

Joe

66 500 Crown 350/4 on road
66 Corsa Convertible 140/4 rough
69 Monza Convertible 140/4 in progress (original 95/3)
Nu Joisey

" A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS A DANGEROUS THING"

"STUPID is the NEW SMART"

Attachments:

Date: April 17, 2013 07:59PM

Wow! I cannot believe all the replies so soon! I had a feeling making my own patch was the way to go but thought I'd ask people with more experience than me before I made up my mind. Thanks a lot, now I just need to finish my current project and make time to re-do the Corvair now that I know a lot more about body work. When I did the 4 door I was 14 years old, the Corsa was my next car and it came out nicer, and my current project is even nicer yet. Practice makes perfect.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: April 17, 2013 11:02PM

Joe, what part of Ohio are you in?

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: April 18, 2013 03:23AM

flamingchariots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe, what part of Ohio are you in?

I'm in the Toledo area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.