home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
LM Flywheel Rivets - No Ring-a-Ding-Ding
Posted by: VegasVair ()
Date: April 11, 2013 09:55AM

Clutch started a little chatter. Took it apart. Found those 47-year-old rivets
in the flywheel had finally decided to give up. Tapped the flywheel and got a
dead "thunk" instead of a happy ring-a-ding-ding like a bell.

Got a Clark's 5/16 flywheel bolt kit. Drilled out a rivet, torqued in a bolt with red locktite,
went to the oposite side, did it again and so on. Put the flywheel back on to
test for bellhousing bolt interference. All is good so off to the machine shop
where the flywheel will be balanced today.

Here's what a Clark's flywheel bolt and nut look like and a pic of the happy flywheel.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: LM Flywheel Rivets - No Ring-a-Ding-Ding
Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:06AM

Yup, ordinary 5/16"x24 gr 8 capscrew with matching self-locking nut. Looks like Bowmans or Lawson hardware.

Chet in Ramona

Date: April 11, 2013 10:13AM

Hi Chet,

The bolts are 3/4" length. The locknuts have that slight egg shape
like Corvair rocker arm adjusting nuts, but are not as tall.

65 Corsa 140/4 A/C convert.
CORSA+Vegas Vairs

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:50AM

Did you check for Axial and Radial alignment? Factory tollerances are way out there.... as much as .028
Depending on the machine used... machining the face comes out much better when the flywheel face is machined by it's self before assembling the backing plate and spring center. Less flex and easier to level in the machine.
Finally balance.

Nothing against, done it at home projects.thumbs up

Corventure Dave

Date: April 11, 2013 11:28AM

Richard Finch's "How to keep you Corvair Alive" has instructions on building your own Flywheel text fixture. You can check the run-out and basic balance using it.

Are you having it "faced" as well? What torque spec. did you stop at?

inquiring minds.....

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: April 11, 2013 11:51AM

Oh, yeah, another thing....
Are you sending the Pressure plate along with the flywheel for balancing as a unit?
After balancing the set, they need to be index marked so they are installed in the right orientation to retain the unit balance.

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Bob Helt ()
Date: April 11, 2013 12:35PM

Hi Vegasvair.
I know that you said that you checked for proper clearance with the bellhousing bolts, But may I suggest that with the possible flex of the FW, you should actually measure how much clearance you have with those "fat" bolts. Those fat bolts take up, a lot of existing clearance. Clearance should be aroun 1/8". Use modeling clay or something crushable like soft cardboard.
Regards,
Bob Helt

Date: April 11, 2013 12:36PM

Dave - Give up. The guys who like to bolt their own are having fun. Of course you and I see a lot of those jobs later and have to trash them or fix them.

Your desire to bring up important facts are not welcome eye rolling smiley

Lon Wall
The Home of GoVair-Dale Flywheels

Posted by: vairchet ()
Date: April 11, 2013 01:03PM

If you look closely at first photo, you'll notice the very edge of bolts on flywheel (rusty & shiney) had hit capscrews on bell housing (came out of a dunebuggy).

Welded flywheel is trash (this one also came out of a dunebuggy).

Oh yeah, bolted flywheel rings like a NOS equivalent. It's up for grabs if anyone is interested. You probably get away with grinding down bolt heads.

Chet in Ramona

Attachments:

Date: April 11, 2013 02:45PM

Machine shop is checking all alignments on flywheel & pressure plate. Both are
permanently index marked.

Thanks Bob. I have some kids clay. I'll have to stop playing with it and use
it to check bellhousing bolt clearance. cool smiley

Machine shop said the friction surfaces didn't need a cleanup cut. Just light
abrasive to break the glaze. Hard to see in my pic, but there are no hot spots.

Hey Lon - Where did you get the idea you're the only guy around that can fix
flywheels? I'll ignore your unhelpful comments. eye rolling smiley

65 Corsa 140/4 A/C convert.
CORSA+Vegas Vairs

Posted by: vairmech ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:07PM

I have to ask why every time there is a flywheel thread someone has to add to balance the assembly and then index it?

Properly balanced separate units are as accurate or more accurate in a balance situation than a unit! Unless you go to a good PROFESSIONAL. The local machine shop probably can't handle that. I don't and won't.

The problems with balancing as a unit are, you have to index and ALWAYS keep the same parts together. If you loose a PP then the flywheel needs to be rebalanced or scrapped. The same with a flywheel, if you can't surface it then the PP needs rebalanced or scrapped.

The person balancing the unit, did it get done dynamically like a tire? Where was the weight added or taken off? Just in one spot? Weight added or taken off in one spot will set up a different plane of imbalance and could be worse than leaving things alone.

Sorry, if any balancing is done each piece needs to be balanced separately. The benefit? Any one piece can be replaced without affecting the other.

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248 613 8586

Vairmech@aol.com

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:36PM

I agree with Ken,,I balance both parts separately and once balanced you can oreintate the PP to any position on the flywheel and it will be in balance. I balanced both parts,,indexed them,,then moved them around to every position,,always in balance.

Email me at: Dave Motohead

Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Date: April 11, 2013 10:52PM

Anyone wondering about potential vibration from out of balance components should re-read this thread from earlier in the year.

Worth the time. http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,585683,page=1

follow it to the end to see the final outcome.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:59PM

As parts get older... things are bound to be worse..

Back in the 70's..everything was still fine!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: RobertC ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:07AM

vairmech Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Unless you go to a good PROFESSIONAL.
>

Yes, the key to balancing (flywheel / pressure plate / engines) is the skill of the person doing the balancing.

And, in my limited experience, the skill varies.

Had a flywheel / pressure plate (140) balanced (many years ago - together I assume, but really do not recall) and it had a very slight out of balance condition only at 4500 rpm (stock Corsa tach).

Since I only hit 4500 rpm when running to the red line in 1st / 2nd gear, I did not "do anything" - until the flywheel / pressure plate was replaced with another 50,000 miles or so later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.