home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: Here We Go!!! Coupe Project Begins!!!
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: October 04, 2016 12:46PM

A few more. Came out darn nice and only took 2 hours... Its just sitting in place for now. I still plan to detail the engine compartment and such so I will be taking it back off of the car.

Dave

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 04, 2016 01:29PM

So close!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..................................PG........................................................Turbo

Date: October 04, 2016 01:53PM

I think if I had two weeks to work on it everyday, I could get it done. Its hard goal to accomplish two hours at a time...

Dave

Posted by: GWLee ()
Date: October 04, 2016 02:08PM

Dave sometimes baby steps is all you have. But that can be enough as long as you keep at it. Your not that far from paint and then the fun begins, putting all the final peices on. Then you will be looking for something else to do.

Other projects mess me up. I'm retired but can only spend a couple of hours a day, doing anything, because of health issues. And yes I get discouraged thinking that just a few years ago I could have had some of this stuff done in a week, which now takes me a lot longer.

But you are coming down the home stretch. Once the paint is done things start going quick from there.

Keep up the good work!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
In the Beautiful state of
North/East KY!

Not the best pic, but the only I had from then, 1997!

2016!

Date: October 04, 2016 02:46PM

Thanks Lee! I have plenty of things left to do before and after paint: respray the interior metal pieces to change color, refinish dash and glove box and in stall, put sound deadener in the car, headliner and interior, install sound system, rebuild the 140 I have for the car, swap from auto to 4 speed, front disk brakes.... Plenty to do!smiling smiley

The good thing about not being done, is that after a long stressful day at work, I can put my head on the pillow and think about the things left to do on the car. That takes my mind off of work and puts me to sleep!

Dave

Date: October 04, 2016 03:13PM

Just make your list and start checking them off, as you go. I have mine finished and have been driving it, but it needed a better engine. So last winter I worked on another 60 engine to get it ready for an engine swap, this winter. Once I get this done, and install the new transaxle all I have left is the headliner. And I will be scratching my head on what next. But with an old car there is always some upgrade to do. But I wanted a better engine than it has now, and didn't want to lose being able to drive it, this summer.

The shame is my wife fell almost 2 months ago now, and we haven't had the corvair out since. She can still barely walk so I knew she couldn't ride around in a car. I started to go ahead and pull the drive train and start the swap but with her down, I'm trying to keep everything going inside and out of the house, and have no time for anything. Even getting on the forum and reading is a luxury right now.

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: October 05, 2016 02:28PM

Another piece of the puzzle prepared today. This one has no mounting bolts, just a skin. Need to figure out how to mount it so its sturdy. Held on with a piece of clear tape for the pic...

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2016 02:29PM by bought1.

Attachments:

Date: October 05, 2016 02:29PM

Sanded and primed

Dave

Attachments:

Date: October 05, 2016 02:45PM

That is gonna look sweet on the car!

Lee Adkins

A Cave Man car
1960 2dr Coupe with pg
Color Tasco Turq.
With Ermine white top.

Catlettsburg,
North/East KY!

2016!

Date: October 05, 2016 03:14PM

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to like it, but I do!

Dave

Posted by: 4carbcorvair ()
Date: October 05, 2016 03:18PM

Looking good Dave!!!

--------------------------------
Ronnie
Southern Maine.
[www.dirigocorvairs.com]
66 Corsa Convertible, 140, 4sp.
65 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

It doesn't leak, it's marking it's territory.

A mirror is a reflection of the miles travelled.

Date: October 05, 2016 05:07PM

Thanks Ronnie! Its staring to get fun again. Halfway through all the bodywork, I thought it would never end...

Dave

Date: October 16, 2016 12:26PM

Little by little.

Got the clip studs installed for the back window today.

Also worked on the rear air intake...pretty sure I am going to have to ditch mine...lots of rust pitting in the window channel.

Dave

Attachments:

Date: October 16, 2016 12:28PM

I also noticed that the central peak in the air intake is different on the coupe as opposed to my convertible. The coupe body line stops well short of the back window while the convertible body line goes all the way to the canvas top.

Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: October 16, 2016 05:46PM

I made a point of dipping the stud screw threads into some rustoleum paint before screwing them in, just to seal the hole and cover the bare metal. There's probably a better product to do this, but I was going to paint over the stud screws anyway, so I was only concerned with moisture protection, not soaking protection.

The car looks great! I'm a little bit ahead of you in my restoration - just got to keep putting a few hours here and there as you can. 9-11PM works well for me if I'm not helping my kids with homework.

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Date: October 17, 2016 12:26PM

Got another piece done today. Stripped it to bare metal, fixed the half dozens small dents and got a first coat of primer on. Will block it and second coat tomorrow. Not much, but every little step counts I guess.

Dave

Attachments:
Date: October 29, 2016 12:01PM

Another piece of the puzzle done. Thanks to Lane66m for the replacement panel! Stripped it to bare metal and fixed a few rust pits. Then got 3 good coats of primer on it.

The only part of the car left to strip and prime is the dent and rust free hood I have! After that, tons of block sanding and then paint!

Dave

Attachments:
Date: October 29, 2016 12:49PM

My new halogen headlights came in this afternoon. $4.50 each from Rock Auto. Cleaned up the trim rings with a little mothers chrome polish and installed them into the retainers temporarily. I need to find some screws that hold the bulb trim rings on. Mine we rusty and went into the trash...

Dave

Attachments:

Date: October 29, 2016 12:50PM

more

Dave

Attachments:

Date: November 12, 2016 12:25PM

The last of the first round of the bodywork is finally done! Now to put it back together and get on with the block sanding...

Dave

Attachments:
Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.