home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 1 of 20
Here We Go!!! Coupe Project Begins!!!
Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: April 09, 2013 02:15PM

Finally, got some time to go work an a 65 coupe I have had in dry storage for about 3 years. A little background. The car comes from the "Land of Lincoln" - Illynoise. When I got is the engine was missing, as is much of the trim. The car is Willow Green with fawn/white interior, though right now it is mostly primer with lots o'scratches and various sized love bites (dents) throughout...grinning smiley. Pat Paldino was nice enough to give me a spare engine he had, which I completely tore down and got running. The plan: two steps. Step 1: get the donor engine in, make sure it goes and stops safely, and drive it as a beater this year. Step two: Next year, strip it all down and paint it white with black rally stripes and black out ALL of the chrome/stainless. I have a set of Old Rally wheels to put on it too.

So how long could step one take...not too long right? Here's what I did this afternoon: removed engine to body seal and heater hoses. Removed the wheels and drums in the back. I was hoping for nice new drums and shoes, since I found a receipt for that in the car. I looked and they're they were...new drums and shoes. Too bad the right side is covered with oil...garbage. Also I found many wires had been cut from the harness...oh well.

So, here's a few pics from today.

Sorry for the long post...

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2013 02:20PM by bought1.

Attachments:

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Here We Go!!! Coupe Project Begins!!!
Date: April 09, 2013 02:15PM

A few more pics

Dave

Attachments:

Date: April 09, 2013 02:17PM

a few more pics

Remember Zeibart...ugh!

Dave

Attachments:

Date: April 09, 2013 02:19PM

Last ones

Can't decide whether or not to pull the transaxle. Probably will, but boy oh boy are the threads on those small strut rods rusty. Those are like to be garbage if I pull the transaxle. Are those easy to find? My gut says those are probably unobtanium for the most part.

Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: thewolfe ()
Date: April 09, 2013 02:52PM

Yes there are new replacement strut rods available, even in stainless steel!

Nate Wolfe
Portland OR
65 Corsa 180

Posted by: GenXVairNut ()
Date: April 09, 2013 04:22PM

Your beautiful engine will be very unhappy with you if you mate it to that transaxle. Pull it, clean it, sand it, paint it and check your half shaft bearings and cross member bushings. Ahhhh...now that better.

Date: April 09, 2013 07:40PM

Yup just noticed Clarks has the strut rod replacements. Maybe I will take the transaxle out...

I'll clean it, maybe paint it. We'll see...

Dave

Posted by: JimBrandberg ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:29AM

It's a matter of philosophy and figuring out where to draw the line.
Is that still salt underneath?
Not much room there, how do you jack it up?
Jim Brandberg
Isanti, Mn.
CorvairRepair.com

Date: April 11, 2013 06:16AM

When I first saw it, I thought it was salt too. Its not...the car has been undercoated but so long ago that is aging to a gray flaky material. For now., I plan to just wire brush as much as possible off. Eventually, I'd like to get rid of it altogether...that will be a huge project I am sure.

There's more room on each side than there looks, though the garage is small. I used my floor jack to pick it up and have it up on jackstands in the rear for now. Eventually, I plan to lift the front as well so I can get to the front brakes and wheel bearings, as well as drop the tunnel pan and evict anyone who might be living in there.

I'd really like to drive the car a bit this summer, so I'm trying just to make it roadworthy and safe for me and those around me on the road. The real work will be over the winter and next year.

Dave

Posted by: John Luscinski ()
Date: April 11, 2013 06:20AM

I just got a set of the stainless both the left and right as well as shift shaft stabilizer rod from Underground.. !! Thanks Lon..$ was better than some others.

Posted by: glivorsi ()
Date: April 11, 2013 06:43AM

Nice dry Powerglide! thumbs up Looks pretty solid for an Illinois car.

Greg in Wildwood, MO (part of the St. Louis urban sprawl)

1965 Monza Vert 110PG, Crocus Yellow with black interior and top

2006 Mazdaspeed 6
1997 Honda CBR1100XX

Posted by: jimmyo ()
Date: April 11, 2013 06:49AM

I expected to see worse. I would freshing up the transaxel while I'm there.

Jim O'Connor
45 miles north of The Bronx, N.Y.
1962 Greenbrier 110 4spd
1964 Monza Convertible 110 PG
"Wherever you go....There you are"

photo 045ef0c8-2087-4eac-8a5d-9aa0d575d5e0_zps9946d378.jpg
 photo e1227532-1d1b-4c27-b9b3-ab7c1e338ee9_zpsoelhfofz.jpg

Date: April 11, 2013 07:22AM

Yeah for a rust belt car its not too bad. Has the usual rust at the bottom of the front fenders (have patch panels for that) and a spot in the left rear quarter beneath the battery. The door pillars are nice and solid, with shiny factory paint even... Overall, the rust doesn't look too bad...we'll see. It does have a lot of dents...one pretty big one in left front fender. Could be fixed but might be easier to use a large replacement section. Floors are solid, as is the bottom of the trunk. The last guy who had it was a car flipper. He bought a lot of 5 or 6 from Illinois...this car was a driver, but he stole the engine from it to put in another so he could sell the other one quickly. He planned to send this one to the crusher. I happened to see it in the background of one of his other car photos on eBay. He gave it to me for next to nothing just to get it off his lot. How could I refuse???grinning smiley

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 07:22AM by bought1.

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:45AM

how about some nice pics of your interior?
Dann

Dann
So. Calif.
Granada Hills
Daily drivers
1996 Ford E350 Powerstroke diesel
2003 Volkwagen Jetta
Fun cars
1965 Corsa Turbo (currently undergoing total restoration) + 65 Corsa 140 waiting for resto
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1996 Dodge Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GT2

Date: April 11, 2013 08:04AM

Haven't taken many pics of the interior. Here's what I have. Its dirty, but no rips in any of the seats. Headline is still in and no rips, but dirty. You can see the ignition is missing too. Last guy cut that out...sad smiley

Dave

Attachments:

Posted by: Setterz54 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 10:02AM

Looks like a nice car. I just got those stabillizer rods from Clarks,stainless steel plus the bushings. You might as well go ahead and do it now while you can.IMHO. Have fun and enjoy your nice car,your engine looks good too.

Setterz54
Fulton,MD.

Date: April 11, 2013 11:54AM

I think you are right. I looked at the old ones again today. It would be easier to just cut those off and put the new ones in rather than skin all my knuckles!grinning smiley

Might as well do the transmission mounts too...

But that's it...you guys are not talking me into anything else! GGGgrinning smiley

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 11:54AM by bought1.

Date: April 11, 2013 04:34PM

Alright, you guys shamed me into it...ordered new stabilizer rods, bushings and hardware, as well as trans mounts from Clarks. Wallet it definitely lighter tonight!

Dave

Posted by: patpaldino ()
Date: April 12, 2013 12:47PM

3M and SEM make some real good undercoatings for your frame. I've used both, and though I love SEM products, was happy with the 3M too. I bought Duplicolor once, but it's more of a warm black, so looks a tad brown... bleck!

The white and black is gonna look killer...and when you're ready for that, we'll see what we can do....I'll try to get some paint for you on the cheap...

A spare engine that you had to do a ton of work too was a small price to pay for all the help you've given me winking smiley

'65 vert ~ Worcester, MA

SOLD!

Date: April 14, 2013 04:10PM

Got some more work done today on the 65. Dropped the transaxle...only broke one thing...the right stabilizer rod...doesn't matter new ones going in. I popped the top on the diff...fluid nice and clean and no magnetic crap in the bottom. Also backlash set correctly. CLosed it back up. Decided not to paint the transaxle. Nothing is leaking as it is, and I don't want to mess with it. Besides, nobody will see it!

I also removed the trans mounts. That was fun... I actually was able to do it from the top using a universal socket on the hidden bolt head in the front. Worked out nicely. I also pulled the fan...bearing shot.

Here's a few pics.

Dave

Attachments:

Current Page: 1 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.