Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Clock Service-All Corvair Clocks
Posted by: sky ()
Date: April 06, 2013 07:56AM

Couldn't stop.
Here's the earlier 70's Truck clock.
Markings a little different & look where
the time adj.stem is.
I worked on a few 71-72 clocks
like this & only the markings
were on the face & no numerals.
Got to get outside & work.
Just a little info.
Bob

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: UGLYTRUK ()
Date: April 06, 2013 08:53PM

Excellent reading Bob... We live in the city, 50' wide lot, and the student slums all around me are getting worse. it's 11:45 PM now, and the kids are heading downtown rite by my bedroom window, so a distraction is good!

Oh! I like the second hand on that similar to mine clock. Is it from a Camaro? I broke the 2nd hand one one clock, it was so fragile! and some are discolored compared to the cluster.

I've added the clock, how is the face cleaned? And do you install new hands? I'd like to add a trip odometer speedo to my '84 Sub, but I'm afraid to drill my plastic dash face to accomodate the knob. The drilled face is all scratched up. I'll send pix tmrw.

I'd love a dash clock for my EM Corvairs, I wonder what a machinist would get to carve something similar to the Chevy unit? And what to put inside it? Is the Quartz I showed the same diameter as the old Corvair? Depth?

Do you work on old tachometers?

Date: April 07, 2013 08:53AM

Excellent reading Bob... We live in the city, 50' wide lot, and the student slums all around me are getting worse. it's 11:45 PM now, and the kids are heading downtown rite by my bedroom window, so a distraction is good!

Oh! I like the second hand on that similar to mine clock. Is it from a Camaro? I broke the 2nd hand one one clock, it was so fragile! and some are discolored compared to the cluster.

I've added the clock, how is the face cleaned? And do you install new hands? I'd like to add a trip odometer speedo to my '84 Sub, but I'm afraid to drill my plastic dash face to accomodate the knob. The drilled face is all scratched up. I'll send pix tmrw.

I'd love a dash clock for my EM Corvairs, I wonder what a machinist would get to carve something similar to the Chevy unit? And what to put inside it? Is the Quartz I showed the same diameter as the old Corvair? Depth?

Do you work on old tachometers?

Hi,
1st.question:I like the second hand on that similar to mine clock. Is it from a Camaro?
Here's a picture of the clock with the same 2nd.hand.A Chevelle 73-75 car WITH the optional gauge package.Like yours,it too was manuf.by General Time Corp.
I left the needle part black & the end of it I painted white.
About 9 yrs.ago,a man had 20 or so NOS Chevelle 73-75 clocks & I bought them all.
I remember I had to just buy a few at a time,because of the money.The 2nd.hand replaces very easily.Hold the clock & using your thumbnail & index fingernail,reach under the center head & pull.The head on yours is so small,a pr.of toenail clippers reaching under the head would probably work just fine.
Sometimes,2nd.hands just pull right off,no big deal.Some,like a 69-70 Mustang dash clock is an abssolute nightmare.I use a special tool for those & still when I pull that dang 2nd.hand off,it goes flying thur the air,hitting the ceiling most of time ! Now that's tight.Everyone of them & I have serviced or installed NOS mvnts.in 100's of those clocks.Fortunately,the needle on those are very rigid & don't break easily.I sell 2nd.hands for your clock for $14,you can have one for $10 & $1.00 ship cost. if you need it.

2nd.Questiongrinning smileyo I install new hands ?

Yes,I have 1000's of clock hands.
1000's used,1000's new.The new clock hands came from all the NOS clocks that have come in here that I have parted out for one reason or another.Your clock's hands is an unusual color orange.Mopar uses the same color on the largest percentage of their clocks.Those would be what I would have to find if replacing yours.Go to Wal-Mart in the hobby section.Look for these small plastic containers of paint.The brand is Apple Barrel Colors.I'm sure you will find the color of orange you need.See the gears etc..in the pics.? Those are what the tubes/gears look like that your hr.& min.hand slide on.I showed clock movements too.One is the General Time/Westclox a Monza clock has & the other Borg is what the Corsa has.I can't remember that exact clock you have,but with most qrtz.clocks that I have seen,those two tubes,the ones your hands slide over are irregular in size.They are larger in dia.thus the small holes in your clock's hands would be larger & although I'm sure I have a set,I doubt that I could find a matching pr.So it would best for you to paint yours.After you remove the sec,hand center head,the two hands just slide up & off.
But,REMEMBER,when you place your hands back on,the hr.hand goes on 1st.Align it DIRECTLY with an hr.numeral or mark.Doesn't have to be the correct time,just pointing directly at the hr.mark.The min.hand is next,make sure you align it with 12:00 exactly.The second hand has a sleeve & it just slides down on to the center pin.The 2nd.hand just needs pressed on lightly,but firmly.You can't mess up,believe me.
3rd.question:What do I clean the face with ?Well,believe it or not,get a small towel,moisten it with warm water & RUBBED LIKE HELL !! The numerals/markings on ANY clock face WILL NOT smear,fade or run.You should should be able to make the black shine on that clock all the white making the numerals/markings crsip & white.WARNINGgrinning smileyO NOT DO THIS TO ANY OTHER GAUGE OR INSTRUMENT.The tachs etc..that I have had experience with,the numerals etc..smear like crazy,but not your clock's !Using a Dremel & the small wire brush they make for them,will make your clock's chrome time adj.knob shine like an NOS one too !! Screw out he center barrel nut & remove the knob.Do the above & watch how much better everything looks.4th.Questiongrinning smileyo I work on tachs ?No sir,
www.tachman.com is the best in the country from my experience.I have sent dozens of people to them & they all were well satisfied.His name is Gary & it's a 30 yr.plus family operated business.That is a very good website he has.Located in SC.
Well,I think that summed it up.I have to go back out on the farm today.When you live on 178 acres,mostly mtns.though,there are 10 million things to do ALWAYS.
It takes me 8 hrs.on a Zero Turn Kabota just to mow this place which must be done twice weekly or it will get away from me.So,I don't know who is luckier,you or me.
When it rains ? You don't have the pleasure of sitting inside listening to the rain hit the roof.Here,you get your rubber boots on & try to keep the 100's of yrds.of drains,culverts etc,clear of debris or man you have a big mess when the rain quits.
Hope my answers helped.If you rather I do work on your clock,I will be glad too.Just send a PM & I can give you the exact cost & ship.info.Thanks,Bob
P.S.That last pic.of all those clock parts are just on one corner of my desk.See why I might have trouble finding something ? Luckily,for the most part,hands,gears etc..are in large cannisters.I'm not exactly known for my organization practices ! LOL.
Fogot to answer about the size.I don't know the area under the dash how much room there is for anything other than the correct clock being there.And right off,I don't have any Corviar or Chev.truck clock housings to use for measuring,sorry.Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 09:02AM by sky.

Attachments:

Date: April 07, 2013 09:09AM

Absolutely.
I'm in the Eastern Time Zone.
Spring has finally started to show her
face here & there is a lot to do.
I have a lot of work to do outside
using one of the Stihl Saws or mowing
with the Kabota.So,if I don't answer,more
than likely I'm running one or the other.
Bob

Date: April 07, 2013 06:11PM

We just sold 10 acres with an 1810 POS Log cabin/farm house, but kept 100 acres w 25 acres meadows so we could mow w a 48" and a 60" till we drop...

Date: April 08, 2013 09:09AM

I like the rolling meadows.I wish our farm had that type of contour.I'm 100 E.of Lexington,Ky.There,you see the long limitless rolling meadows/pastures with beautiful horses grazing & white board fencing that are so long,they fade away into the horizon & just appear to drop off the face of the earth.
Then as you drive eastward knolls starts turning into small hills which gradually get higher & higher.At the 1/2 point,here is where the larger hills just start to form the western side of the Appalchian Mtns.There is a pointed hill there that looks just like a volcano.Natural Bridge State Park is located there.With a bridge of rock that was formed by 1000's of yrs.of erosion.This is the landmark signifying you are about to enter a different world the more eastward you travel.This is where the word "ain't" begins,civilization as you new it stops & you enter "The Hillbilly Zone".Moonshine n' Bootleggers.
Even with all those hrs.of mowing I do,you still have to look straight up almost to see the sky !And the weather ? You sure better watch the radar.Because here,you can't see any type of weather coming at you until it's directly overhead & then it's too late !!

Posted by: sura ()
Date: April 09, 2013 12:10PM

SKY - just how accurate can these clocks be? What's a reasonable expectation for a clock in good condition in seconds/minutes per day or whatever? Thanks.

Ray in Southern Oregon
'65 Corsa Regal Red
Genuine Minilites

Date: April 11, 2013 12:44PM

Hi.Excellent question.
Unfortuantely,not one I can answer.
With a clock movement having a magneto firing a set of contacts open
every 1:30 to 2:00 min. there is just not an average.
I'll have one NOS movement that will be 1hr.fast per day,another NOS movement will keep good time & the time adj.is set at the same place.I'll get an old
used movement & it keeps good time & then another is slow..They will all vary.
There is a speed adjustment on both styles of movements(pictured).The movement must be removed to do this.Once an adj.has been applied,you place the face on(not securing),slide the hands back on & connect the movement to a 12V source.
Trial & error.Run it this way a couple days & if it doesn't satisfy you,slide
the adjuster a little more.Keep doing this until it satisfies you.But,the next week,it may just be slower or faster than before you started.
Most vintage car owners realize a factory movement is insalled for two reasons,
in which neither is for the clock's time keeping skills.
1.The familiar "click" sound the contacts make when they fire apart.
2."Tic" "Tic" "Tic" goes the the second hand.Just the way it came from the factory & just the way a factory clock should function.(my opinion)
Tip:One thing you could do which will absolutely extend your clock's life,which if isn't done,will shorten it's life.(1.)Install a battery dis-connect switch.(2.)Dis-connect your car battery.(3.)Run the hot wire
from your clock's terminal to the fuse box,using a terminal there that allows power to your clock when the ign.is turned to accessory or in the On position.
And for General Time (GT)Monza clock owners,now is the time to install a small 3 amp.in line fuse to protect those dual mags.I prefer this method to installing a diode (pictured where).You don't have to take the clock apart & it's less risky.
May just go ahead & do the Borg manuf.Corsa clock wiring to.Can't be too safe.
Also is a pic.of one method Borg used for an inline fuse.Borg installed the fuse on the terminal plug.
Most of the cars I service clocks for stay parked in the garage 90% of their life.
So this is absolutely no reason for the clock to just sit there,those contacts firing open every 1:30 or 2:00 minutes wearing not only the moving parts out,but burning the contacts ea.time they fire open,weakening the magneto & stretching the spring which pulls the contacts together after ea,firing.
Lubrication is vital as well.Since I know nothing of how or where most clocks are installed in cars or how much room there is to remove one,I take from other comments it isn't very easy removing a clock from a Corvair.
Here's what I suggest to do as far as lubrication goes & I have performed this on 100's of Corvette & Mustang clocks while they are here being serviced (owner agreed on ea.).When I am finished with the clock,I set the entire unit down in the rear casing like I was sealing it up.Only this time,I'm noting exactly where that dime size,brass wheel is that rocks back forth.That is the pendulum.Noting where it is,I mark a spot directly across from it on the outside of the rear casing.I remove the unit & drill say a 1/8" hole right on the spot.I cover this hole w/a pc.of elec.tape.
Now,I have made a lubrication hole.One,this stops having to take the clock apart just for lubing & two, depending on the clock's mounting & where the hole is,you may actually be able to just reach up under the dash,remove the tape & with just a quick mist of lubrication,be able to lubricate your clock without ever having to remove the clock from the dash.Imagine the trouble this would save ? I've had many,many emails from muscle car owners telling me they could lubricate their clock now without having to remove it from the dash.Note:On a lot of Borg made (Corsa)clocks,Borg drilled a small static hole in the very rear of the outer casing.Unfortunately,a lot of folks mistaken this static hole for a lubrication hole.Using this hole,the lubrication hits the back of the board the magneto is secured to,helping nothing at all but making a mess inside the rear casing.
Westclox,a big percentage of those has an opening in the shape of an old key.Peeling the tape which may or may not be covering this hole,you will be able to see the condition of your twin/single mag(s) & trying to lubricate thru this opening will just get lubrication all over the magneto(s)& not get to the vital ares that need lubed.You want to get lubrication on ea.end of the axel the pendulum rotates on.This is the critical area to be lubed.
I've attached a pic.of ea.movement for the Borg made Corsa & the General Time/Westclox manuf.Monza clock.This shows where the lube is important,the diode placement etc..
If time keeping is more important than originality.There are quartz conversions.
For Borg manuf.clocks,there is a self install(or me) qrtz.conv.For the Westclox,GT manuf.clocks like the Monza,the clock must be sent in to the facility that manuf.the quartz mvnts.for installation.There is never going back to original if you have a qrtz.conv.performed on a GT clock.The plate your original movement attaches to is changed.The time adj.stem is changed,along with the original brass gear to a plastic gear which rotates other gears when adjusting the time.The company installing these repro.parts,keeps your old parts.Eliminating the option of ever going back to original.Qrtz.conv.are designed for Borg clocks,no matter all the ads you see saying "it will fit this & fit that".Oh'it will fit alright,with a lot of changes.

I hope this helped a little.Wish I had a more precise answer for you.Thanks.

Attachments:

Posted by: coleslaw31 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 08:21PM

Had my clock serviced through Bob. Does great work And Has a answer for any question you throw at him when it comes to a car clock. Glad to see you getting your name out there Bob.

Posted by: Anderson1969 ()
Date: May 21, 2014 07:28AM

OK, what am I missing, I can't find contact info for Bob anywhere on the web. Please help.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: May 21, 2014 08:08AM

Anderson1969 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, what am I missing, I can't find contact info
> for Bob anywhere on the web. Please help.

Dumb question maybe but did you try the phone number he listed in this same thread?

Did you try to send him a PM message?

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Date: May 21, 2014 09:17PM

Good reading, I used to love the sound of the pints clicking apart...

You'd be walking down the street, and overhear a GM clock point flinging apart, kool!

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: May 22, 2014 12:17AM

I also like the sound of the pints clicking - Cheers!

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: May 22, 2014 04:59AM

Sky, PM sent.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: Murphy ()
Date: May 23, 2014 09:42AM

Vairismo Wrote:
> So do you have references?

DID YOU READ HIS POST BEFORE YOU HAD YOUR COFFEE?

The guy is trying to make a buck, lighten up...

65 Monza Coupe
61 500 Coupe-W100181
Earliest '61?

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: May 23, 2014 11:43AM

I sent a PM yesterday and just left a VM at the number listed. Has anyone seen or heard from Bob since that post last year?

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Posted by: philthepilot ()
Date: May 23, 2014 08:13PM

He did my Corsa clock around July of last year. Clock works great.
It does seem like I had to leave a message everytime I called. He always called back the next day or so.

Phil

Posted by: mjhsandiego ()
Date: May 23, 2014 08:23PM

Great resource.

Posted by: crtoons ()
Date: June 06, 2014 01:19PM

sky Wrote:
> >
>
> I have been in clocks 3/4 of my life and I'm 56
> xxx
> 57 this month actually.I'm a corporate pilot
> aka..sky was a nickname from back in the 70's at
> the arpt. I started on my clocks back in 73'& just
> never quit.
> I did the locals clocks & then word spread &
> spread.
>
> I never did any real advertising,I never had
> to.Word of mouth & the quality of my work always
> was my advertising. ANyway,after I was layed off,I
> really started up the clock works.
>
>
> .My repairs only cost $39.95 + return ship cost.
>
> Bob Hensley

Hi Bob:

What is your mailing address and or email/contact info. I have a clock for a '68 Monza that needs some of your TLC and was wondering if I can send it on along to you for repair? Thanks in advance!

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: June 06, 2014 02:30PM

crtoons Wrote:
> Hi Bob:
>
> What is your mailing address and or email/contact
> info. I have a clock for a '68 Monza that needs
> some of your TLC and was wondering if I can send
> it on along to you for repair? Thanks in advance!

Best to send him a PM. He hasn't been on this forum in over a year.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.