Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Levair EM Rear disk Brake kit components??
Posted by: davidalva11 ()
Date: April 01, 2013 12:44PM

Hi,
I got my from Levair performance Brake Brackets last week and I am waiting to hear from Michael regarding what components I need in order to build my Rear Disk brakes on my early. I have a 5 lug conversion on the fronts but I was wondering if anyone knew what parts I should buy to build the rear? My mechanic is stalled waiting on this info. We are using the front rotors and parts from a 1992 Trans Am and were planning on doing the same for the rear but we want to make sure before we start cutting that they will work. Anybody buy a rear brake kit from Levair and have the pics and parts list he sends with them?
thank you
David

63" Chevy Convertible coming soon
thanks to "All in One Auto" in Los Angeles, CA for
taking his time with the project

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2013 06:11PM by MattNall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Levair Rear disk Brake kit components??
Posted by: mwr ()
Date: April 01, 2013 12:47PM

Just ask Michael what you need, he'll know better than anyone since you're using his setup.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 01, 2013 12:52PM

David... there are just a few of these done... I think Micheal said "4" the other day...

You'll have to wait to hear from him..

We have one member here who got the first conversion... but he has been sidetracked lately and seldom has time for the forum.

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 01, 2013 01:08PM

let's hope he gets back to me soon.
thank you
David

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:05PM

I have a set of his on my early. He doesn't use Trans Am parts but particular S-10 rotors on all wheels in his kits. Michael includes everything necessary in his kit so why did you only get brackets? It is a challenging install and you should defer to Michael's instructions on the installation because no one else on this forum knows his proprietary techniques. You have to do a lot of grinding and fitting, as Michael no doubt said when you ordered it. It's better to bring your car to him if that is possible.
Crawford

Date: April 01, 2013 03:18PM

he said his kits are set up for 4 lugs. he also said I could easily find all the parts locally and he would send me a list of what to buy for my 5 lug 4.75" conversion. He sent me a partial list and he wants me to buy Cadillac El Dorado calipers and banjo bolts. He has yet to give me the rotors I should be using. It was also cheaper for me to buy them locally, save on freight. Does your early have a 4 lug set up or 5 lug?

Date: April 01, 2013 04:48PM

caroseiii Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a set of his on my early.
==============================================

How do you like having discs in the rear?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: ihscomputers ()
Date: April 01, 2013 06:10PM

I am installing Leveque's rear disk setup on my 69 vert...

IIRC, the rotors are from a 1986 Chevy S-10.

Dean F. Gemberling
Columbus, Georgia

1963 Rampside w/305 V8 - Built by Ken Arnold in 1998

Re: Levair EM Rear disk Brake kit components??
Posted by: chuckvh ()
Date: April 01, 2013 07:58PM

Here is what I got from Michael when I ordered my EM rear disc setup last year.

"Brake calipers come off of a 84 Cadillac eldorado , rotors are from an 84 S-10 four wheel drive front . The brackets hang of the rear and are offset to the inside. Remove three of the bearing retaining nuts slide bracket on and replace nuts with the mag wheel style nuts provided. There is a pinch weld edge on the rearward side of the bottom A arm the will be in the way that needs trimmed back to about where the is a hole drilled in it. You will easily see where the clearance issue is upon installation. You may have to take out the caliper pins and rotate the caliper rearward to get to the bleeder to bleed the brake the reinstall the pins."

When I ordered mine, I went ahead and got the brackets, E-Brake cable, and flex hoses from Michael. Very nice products and trial fit-up was great. (Not on the road yet, life has been busy) I sourced the rotors and calipers locally to save shipping. My EM vairs are all being converted to five lug and 4-wheel discs, so I will be purchasing two more kits as soon as my piggy bank allows. The front discs on my earlies use late spindles and Scarebird brackets with S-10 rotors and calipers.

Chuck vonHofen

Brentwood California
66 Corsa Turbo Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Coupe
62 Monza Turbo Convertible, E-Flow, Weber, Factory Air

Posted by: caroseiii ()
Date: April 01, 2013 08:16PM

I converted to five lug also. Chuck laid the specific parts info all out there. The discs in the rear have not been dialed in yet. I am trying to adjust the rear brake pads tighter. There is a special tool for this adjustment. I was hoping I could just use the ratchet handle. The brake bleeder location against the A arm is a PITA. We drilled a hole in the A arm but its easier to remove the caliper to avoid a mess. Michael suggested that he cuts the nipple.
Crawford

Posted by: Demon-Xanth ()
Date: April 01, 2013 08:34PM

Out of curiousity, around how much does it cost to convert to rear disks, and I've seen front disk kits for around $600. Considering it in long term plans.

'vairless. But not forever.
Cars need to drive to be alive. One that never leaves the garage may be perfect, but dead.

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: April 02, 2013 08:02AM

Demon-Xanth Wrote:
> Out of curiousity, around how much does it cost to
> convert to rear disks, and I've seen front disk
> kits for around $600. Considering it in long term
> plans.

Good luck getting an answer from anybody.

I've asked the same question before with the response being dead silence.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: chuckvh ()
Date: April 02, 2013 10:04AM

One of the reasons that you may not see many answers about cost is because the variables are almost infinite. For example, one of the posts above mentioned a figure of $600 for front discs. On my EM conversion, I already had a pair of late spindles and hubs to use. The Scarebird brackets at the time were $115 a pair, the S-10 rotors were under $30 each, the loaded S-10 Calipers were around $50 each, and flex hoses were around $15 each. My local family owned parts store gave me a 67 Corvair dual master cylinder for free just because it had been on their shelf for over 30 years! Add the new bearings, races, seals, longer lug studs, a rebuild kit for the master and the dual conversion lines from Clarks, and the total for my EM front disc conversion was somewhere in the $400 range.

The rear disc conversion on my EM was a bit more expensive. The brackets, E-Brake cable, and braided stainless flex lines were just over $600 from Michael. (An excellent value when you see the quality of the parts and consider the engineering/development that went into the conversion.) The Eldorado calipers with E-brake were around $75 each, rotors again were under $30, and welding/re-drilling the rear axles for 5-lug was under $200. (Could probably have done it myself, but the shop I went to has done it before and it was a sure thing.) The total for the EM rear conversion was in the range of just over $1000.

Certainly not the cheapest upgrade you can undertake, and absolutely not something that you want to cut corners on.

Chuck vonHofen
Brentwood, California

66 Corsa Turbo Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Coupe
62 Monza Convertible
Amazingly Patient Wife

Date: April 02, 2013 11:06AM

Chuck, we sure hope you start driving it soon...... and hopefully you drove other EM's with stock brakes before... to compare to..

Posted by: wv-geo ()
Date: April 02, 2013 12:28PM

chuckvh Wrote:
>
> The rear disc conversion on my EM was a bit more
> expensive. The brackets, E-Brake cable, and
> braided stainless flex lines were just over $600
> from Michael. (An excellent value when you see
> the quality of the parts and consider the
> engineering/development that went into the
> conversion.) The Eldorado calipers with E-brake
> were around $75 each, rotors again were under $30,
> and welding/re-drilling the rear axles for 5-lug
> was under $200. (Could probably have done it
> myself, but the shop I went to has done it before
> and it was a sure thing.) The total for the EM
> rear conversion was in the range of just over
> $1000.
>
> Certainly not the cheapest upgrade you can
> undertake, and absolutely not something that you
> want to cut corners on.

Chuck,
The pricing for the rear brackets was the information I was looking for.
Just have to put a few more dollars back.

I already have a disc brake setup for the front of my EM. It is the one that uses the calipers, hub carriers, and discs from a 70s RWD Dodge Colt. My plans are to keep the 4-lug 4.5-inch bolt pattern.

Dan Stark
Hurricane, WV

1961 Lakewood 500, 80HP, PG
1964 Corvair 500 Coupe, 140HP, 4spd (Christine)
1965 Mustang Coupe, 6cyl, 3spd

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:13PM

MattNall Wrote:
> caroseiii Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have a set of his on my early.
> ==============================================
>
> How do you like having discs in the rear?

To answer Matt's question , I have 4 wheel disc on my yellow 65 custom that were done with 4 92 camero rear units, for my 2 cents the addition of the rear units are a downgrade for street use without the addition of a power booster , brakeing is not as good as stock , also the e-brake is not an easy addition.
The front conversion is a plus but the rear IMO is a waste of time for the street.

John Shoemaker,Riegelsville,PA.
1958 Impala Sport Cp. 348 ,pg/ac
61 Rampside full custom show truck
65 Monza 110/4 vert driver
65 Full Custom Monza 140 Cp
66 Monza 110/PG Vert
66 Corsa FITCH SPRINT Documented ( in Process,recondition)
66 CorV8 350 "firevair"Custom Show

Date: April 02, 2013 01:21PM

Thanks John.. but we are talking EM rear discs.. the Levair Kit specifically... it's the only one out so far!!

Posted by: firevair66 ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:26PM

Either EM or LM , 4 wheel disc's present the same drawbacks without power for street use.

Date: April 02, 2013 01:30PM

firevair66 Wrote:
> Either EM or LM , 4 wheel disc's present the same
> drawbacks without power for street use.
=======================================================

John.. it's the size of the MC that determines "power / leverage" on non- booster assisted systems....

Dansk was going thru this just a few weeks ago... we're waiting for a report.....

Posted by: dansk ()
Date: April 02, 2013 01:35PM

Hey Matt, haven't gotten to changing the MC out yet for the 7/8"
Installed new liners in the front and it made a manageable difference. Car on road now to get some miles on her. We had oil leak problems after the MC swap that we had to deal with. All is good now (crossing fingers). Heavy on the brake pedal will lock up front wheels at this point.
Dann

Dann
So. Calif.
Granada Hills
Daily drivers
1996 Ford E350 Powerstroke diesel
2003 Volkwagen Jetta
Fun cars
1965 Corsa Turbo (currently undergoing total restoration) + 65 Corsa 140 waiting for resto
1994 Dodge Viper RT10
1996 Dodge Viper GTS
1998 Dodge Viper GT2

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.