Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wolf Enterprise carbs--Whats right for me?
Posted by: vairsUPnorth ()
Date: March 08, 2013 05:30PM

Hello Donavin,

According to the distributor chart in Bob Helt's book The Classic Corvair, the 1968 95/PG still used the same PN 1110311 distributor as the 65-67 95/PG. I am not sure you will gain much by swapping or recurving it.

I cannnot speak for Grant, but he may offer a bit extra in core value for your PEV carburetor if you purchase smog carbs. I suggest you take the recommendation of Grant on jet size, but be sure to tell him you have removed the smog equipment and confirm that you still have the stock distributor. For a modest extra charge he will include a pair of next size smaller (or larger) jets and bowl gaskets if you would like to experiment with fuel mixtures. Note that the stock jet size might already run the engine somewhat lean due to the ethanol blended into almost all modern gasoline. Am I correct to assume you are using 87 octane?

Be aware that any change in economy that you are likely to get with a leaner fuel mixture will not be dramatic. It will often require driving the car a couple thousand miles or so with each pair of jets while carefully recording both the total miles and fuel consumed. Of course, the same type of driving and weather (on average) should prevail during these tests. Do not be surprised if anything more than a small gain in fuel economy is offset by part throttle hesitation, lean stumble and other driveability issues.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, (UP) MI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wolf Enterprise carbs--Whats right for me?
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: March 09, 2013 05:04PM

Dale - I goofed. You are correct; the 95HP engine distributor for 1965 through 1968 has the same timing curve and initial timing. The BIG change to timing came in 1969 which was more retarded at idle, but the curve was steeper so timing caught around 2,500RPM to the 1965-68 curve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.