Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 1965 Corvair Greenbrier Van
Posted by: Danno ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:05AM

Sorry, a repost with added detail. Couldn't figure out how to edit or delete.......

Okay, so I looked at the van today. The guy who has it is not only an accomplished mechanic but has several Corvairs and various other tasty cars.
Story is he bought a 'lot' of them, including the van. There were and are other Corvairs and vans but he bought the best with intentions of resale.
Here is a good news bad news list in regards to the van.
Good news:
New brakes, hoses and master cylinder. The gas tank was pulled and inspected and he put in a new float. The engine has been tuned, the carbs rebuilt and the o rings replaced. The van sounds really nice and no oil blowing out the pipe and maybe a drip or two of oil underneath. The van appears solid for the most part, the rubber all looks good, no broken glass or rusted out spots on the outside of the van, the doors open and close nice, the windows all roll up and down nice and it looks to me like an original 'mileage as stated' vehicle that could be driven as is, with the expected wear apparent on the inside as well. One seat in back has a rip repaired with tape. The inside is presentable. The radio works. I did not check the wipers or heater motor or head lights or the turn signals. Speaking of headlights, it has 2 original T-3s. He drives it occasionally. I did not test drive the van.

Bad news: As the pictures show, the paint is scruffy and this is due in part to someone brushing some kind of primer on the parts where surface rust was starting to form. So, at least an attempt was made to preserve. There is a corner ding on the driver rear panel (back of van), very minor dings otherwise, mostly at a door lip. Speaking of door, some cracks on door where it meets the window. I noticed 3 on the driver door but neglected to check passenger side. The engine access panel is fiberglass and appears damaged but is repairable. It opens and closes fine. The emblems look okay, the grill okay but tail light lens need replacing. I neglected to check the front turn lens. The van is 99.95% rust free but there is a rust area behind the passenger wheel well but very minor, perhaps a quarter in size. There is some surface rust inside the cab area where the front rubber mat goes along the rear of the floor. This appear minor.
Other than that, a solid van with a lot of potential.
More bad news.......The guy is convinced that due to the year of the van and rarity of the van, his price is good. He also said the '65 was perhaps the best designed of the lot. He pointed out the floor shifter (4 spd) which was on the floor as opposed to under the seat, was a huge improvement.

So, I am not a Corvair guy I admit. True, the van seems pretty nice but a scruffy exterior. Given my description, which hopefully enhances the pictures already provided, where would you guys place the value?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hullinger ()
Date: February 16, 2013 02:28AM

Danno,

It sure seems tempting and a great starting point. I could only guess that to finish her might cost between $5K - $15K, depending on the quality you're looking for, who does the work and how far to you want to go with it. I'd bet though that with some perseverance you could find a nicely finished rust-free van for $10K ish.

I'm by no means saying don't buy this van. I'm just giving another view point on this. Fixing up this van and making it yours is pretty gratifying even if it takes some time to get her done. Alternatively buying a finished van and enjoying it right away is cool too.

Chris

Posted by: Rare Vair ()
Date: February 19, 2013 03:05PM

I like the patina on it. It has a 60s California look to it. Also kind of looks like a Mystery Machine.

Posted by: randypet ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:24PM

Van is sold. Thanks all.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 19, 2013 08:38PM

Great!! Did you point him here?

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Date: February 20, 2013 12:24AM

Randy is going to have a new Corsa Chapter starting up in Sonoma with all the Corvairs he's been selling to the locals!!

Good to hear it found a new home!

Corvanatics
to host the 2014 CorSA Int'l Convention July 21 to 25 at LeMay "America's Car Museum" - Be There!!
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Date: February 21, 2013 05:43PM

Note to self.....don't ask for advice here.thumbs down.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:29PM

Danno... Sorry this one slipped away, but I have found that the better deals do go FAST, and have learned from experience that there will be another one coming down the road. For example. the 1965 at California Corvairs may not be as complete, but it is a good deal in my opinion and most all parts are available.

Corventure Dave

Date: February 21, 2013 10:45PM

Hi Dave, Thanks for your kind words. Randy Peterson said he sold it for $5,500.
The rest of what I have to say and my opinions will remain on the 'QT' as they say.

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 22, 2013 12:51AM

No problem.... we are quite thick skinned here...... at least from all the rusty bolts and cheap HF tools!grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Corventure Dave

Date: February 22, 2013 07:09AM

corventure Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Danno... Sorry this one slipped away, but I have
> found that the better deals do go FAST, and have
> learned from experience that there will be another
> one coming down the road. For example. the 1965 at
> California Corvairs may not be as complete, but it
> is a good deal in my opinion and most all parts
> are available.
>
> Corventure Dave

I went to the site but I didn't see any vehicles for sale. Could you provide a link to the van for sale? Thanks.

Date: February 22, 2013 07:38AM

Danno,
It's listed right here on this Forum.

I bet Jeff can sell you a powerpack to put it on the road, too!

Corvanatics
to host the 2014 CorSA Int'l Convention July 21 to 25 at LeMay "America's Car Museum" - Be There!!
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.