Corvair DiagramCorvair Photo
Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
1965 Corvair Greenbrier Van
Posted by: randypet ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:18PM

Transmission: manual
Engine: 110hp
Drive Type: rear wheel drive
Mileage 118,203
Exterior Color: green
Interior Color: fawn
Vehicle Title: clear

1528 Greenbriers were built in model year 1965, the final year of production. The '65 Greenbrier is the fifth-least-produced of all Corvair models. The vans were built in St. Louis, MO through December of 1964. This car was purchased new in Ukiah, CA. Has original license plate. In original condition. No rust. Runs great. Being sold by third owner. $5,500. Please call Randy with any questions 707-974-8061.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1965 Corvair Greenbrier Van
Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:25PM

So when you comming down to get this one Craig??grinning smiley

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
-----------------------------------
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: cnicol ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:27PM

davemotohead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So when you comming down to get this one Craig??grinning smiley

Craig replies: LOL! I do like '65 GBs but I'm not currently in the market for a divorce lawyer!

Craig N. Coeur d'Alene ID.
66 Black Monza 4dr, 4.2L V8 49k
66 Red Monza 2dr 140/4 EFI 60k
61 Seamist Jade Rampside 140 PG
65 Cypress Green Monza 140/4 4dr
65 White 4-dr 110/AC/PG (parts)
64 GB -CrUnChEd (donor)

20 Tons of parts in boxes

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:34PM

I would like to have the Van too,,looks clean to me!

Email me at: Dave Motohead
Visit My web site(Under Construction)
Sign my guest book!
[motoheadmall.com]
I AM THE GRIM REAPER FOR OLD CARS!
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:39PM

We recently saw it on Craigs or ebay iirc!

Somewhere between Sea Mountain and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
.............................PG...................................Turbo

Posted by: corventure Dave ()
Date: February 07, 2013 08:44PM

I have sent a PM to Tikiwagon in England. He was posting last year that he was looking for just this kind of Greenbrier!

Looks like a really nice 65. Has the radio option. Too bad it's not a delux model. Those 1965 Delux steering wheel horn rings are worth quite a bundle!!!

Corventure Dave

Date: February 08, 2013 12:47AM

This car is in Sonoma, CA. Randy.

Date: February 12, 2013 12:04AM

Here are a few more pictures of the van.

Date: February 12, 2013 12:12AM

Looks very original - still has the rubber floor covering in the cab, correct original manual tuning AM radio option. Correct original Fawn paint in the interior.
Those even look like Chevrolet dealer installed "West Coast" mirrors.

Nice one!!

Corvanatics
to host the 2014 CorSA Int'l Convention July 21 to 25 at LeMay "America's Car Museum" - Be There!!
Dan Davis - Seattle ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ 65 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn (my current driver!!)
~ 1964 Monza 'Vert ~ 65 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black int ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4
1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Posted by: Danno ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:30PM

Hi all. New here for the purpose of asking about the Greenbrier in Sonoma. I live in the area and have seriously been thinking about buying one of these. This van has been for sale for some time. Is this van priced right? I didn't want to call or waste this fellows time without some ammo. I am very familiar with the later vans '64-'66 Flatglass Chevys that came after and they have some common features which I like. But they are genrally much cheaper, so seeing this Greeenbrier for $5500 has me hestitant to jump in without prior knowledge. What do you think I should be able to pick up this van for? Just an FYI, this van would stay dead stock original in my hands. Thanks in advance! Danno

Posted by: hullinger ()
Date: February 14, 2013 10:58PM

Just my two cents, but... $5,500 is a whole lot of moolah for a van that needs everything. On the bright side, finding a rust-free model isn't easy and on this guy you get to restore it to your liking, color, style, options....

In terms of price you can certainly find a nice and presentable rust-free model for I'm guessing under $10K, which will be considerably less than what it costs to restore this guy. I guess it just depends on what you want and how fast you want to have it.

As a reference, this one recently sold at Mecum for $15K.

[www.youtube.com]

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 11:03PM by hullinger.

Date: February 14, 2013 11:16PM

If this was a Delux model or an 8 door, the price in my opinion, is close but still high. If I was interested and planned to invest in this one for even a moderate restoration, I would start the negotiations lower.... this knowing the costs of renovating and restoring, along with the resale value when finished.
Then it all boils down to how much it will be used and how long it well be kept.
I have had my Greenbrier over 35 years. Put over 270,000 miles on it since I bought it. It had 96,000 on it when I got it.... so at least for me, my Greenbrier has been a good value along with being a fantastic vehicle.
This one looks like it has a lot of promise!

By the way... nice seeing Rich again in the Video.

Corventure Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 11:24PM by corventure Dave.

Posted by: 1963gp ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:20PM

I paid 1200 for my 65 in the same condition but it was a deluxe with no rust. 5500 way to much 2k max IMO. see this one Jeff has for sale. [corvaircenter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2013 11:22PM by 1963gp.

Posted by: leikec ()
Date: February 14, 2013 11:51PM

It depends on your way of looking at it. Rust repair during a restoration is difficult, time consuming and expensive, so buying a "rust free" vehicle makes sense, and is worth a premium.

That being said, the vehicle also has a finite upper value based on the market.

My feeling on this vehicle is $3000.00--$3500.00 max, depending on how it runs and drives. Also keep in mind that the terms "Greenbriar" and "rust free" are usually mutually exclusive...

Jeff C

Date: February 15, 2013 12:59AM

Very helpful info, thank you! I am aware of at least a few things to look out for in these vans, although I have never seen one in the flesh but once many many years ago. I would hazard to say they are rare here. I would certainly be looking for rust as I have no interest in anything rusty....period, been there done that! I also know to look for worn seals that help with cooling, at least that is my understanding. As far as to what a healthy engine should sound like....uh well, should I be aware of tappet noise or are these solid lifters? I think I read somwhere they were but can still be clanky when cold. I actually like the fact that its a bit scruffy but mostly original. I would drive as is with more original tires amd rims.
I was actually thinking right in the ball park of 3K or so.... you guys have confirmed that. Of course, that offer may have already been put on the table as the van remains unsold. If there is anything else, to consider, I'm open to suggestions.

Date: February 15, 2013 01:01AM

Here's a link to eBay auction results for Greenbrier sales. It's a tough comparison due to the rust-free nature of this van, but this should give you a fair prospective of current market value.

[collectorcarpricetracker.com]

Date: February 15, 2013 01:18AM

hullinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's a link to eBay auction results for
> Greenbrier sales. It's a tough comparison due to
> the rust-free nature of this van, but this should
> give you a fair prospective of current market
> value.
>
> [collectorcarpricetracker.com]
> Chevrolet/model/Corvair/keywords/greenbrier/years/
> 1961-1965/

==================================================================================

I wonder what auctions?!?!?! Their price values are quite low!

Corventure Dave

Posted by: NoLates ()
Date: February 15, 2013 02:08AM

The two rear seats aren't original Corvair FC seats

Date: February 15, 2013 02:12AM

Scroll to the bottom of this page and you'll get the auction results. There's 116 results listed but many aren't recent and few are rust-free vans.

[collectorcarpricetracker.com]

Date: February 16, 2013 01:40AM

Okay, so I looked at the van today. The guy who has it is not only an accomplished mechanic but has several Corvairs and various other tasty cars.
Story is he bought a 'lot' of them, including the van. There were and are other Corvairs and vans but he bought the best with intentions of resale.
Here is a good news bad news list in regards to the van.
Good news:
New brakes, hoses and master cylinder. The gas tank was pulled and inspected and he put in a new float. The engine has been tuned, the carbs rebuilt and the o rings replaced. The van sounds really nice and no oil blowing out the pipe and maybe a drip or two of oil underneath. The van appears solid for the most part, the rubber all looks good, no broken glass or rusted out spots on the outside of the van, the doors open and close nice, the windows all roll up and down nice and it looks to me like an original 'mileage as stated' vehicle that could be driven as is, with the expected wear apparent on the inside as well. He drives it occasionally.
Bad news: As the pictures show, the paint is scruffy and this is due in part to someone brushing some kind of primer on the parts where surface rust was starting to form. So, at least an attempt was made to preserve. There is a corner ding on the driver rear panel (back of van), very minor dings otherwise, mostly at a door lip. The engine access panel is fiberglass and appears damaged but is repairable. It opens and closes fine. The van is 99.95% rust free but there is a rust area behind the passenger wheel well but very minor, perhaps a quarter in size. There is some surface rust inside the cab area where the front rubber mat goes along the rear of the floor. This appear minor.
Other than that a solid van with a lot of potential.
More bad news.......The guy is convinced that due to the year of the van and rarity of the van, his price is good. He also said the '65 was perhaps the best designed of the lot. He pointed out the floor shifter (4 spd) which was on the floor as opposed to under the seat was a huge improvement.

So, I am not a Corvair guy I admit. True, the van seems pretty nice but a scruffy exterior. Given my description, which hopefully enhances the pictures already provided, where would you guys place the value?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.