Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Seat Upgrade for '65 >> 3-Point Belts
Posted by: SoBo ()
Date: February 02, 2013 10:25PM

I finally found some detailed information regarding the mounting of 3-point belts. My searches had turned up vague references to safety issues such as spine compression/back injury should the shoulder belt mounting point be too far below shoulder height. I was unable to find out how low was "too low" until now. I found the following PDF document on the NHTSA website:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Test%20Procedures/Associated%20Files/TP-210-9b.pdf

It contains a rendering entitled "Location of Anchorage For Upper Torso Restraint" on PDF page 17 (document page 46). It indicates that the mounting point can be up to 40 degrees below horizontal relative to shoulder height. This is important for me as I'd like to mount the anchor point just below the rear side window. This document gives me a little more confidence in this mounting location. In any event I think a seat with headrest and higher, locking back should be my first step.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seat Upgrade for '65
Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: February 03, 2013 01:50AM

I'd like to add a vote for the Sebring seats. Not only do the front seats give you an integrated shoulder belt, but the rear seats install easily and likewise give shoulder belts for the back seat drivers. A side issue is the Sebring seat weigh next to nothing while the stock seats are very heavy. Loosing weight is the cheapest horsepower you can buy. Got pix if you are interested.

Posted by: VairKing ()
Date: February 03, 2013 05:56AM

Personally I think the Sebring seat looks completely out of place in a Corvair. Way too bulky, too much sticking up above the door line, etc. Check out Dean's '69 where he used late model Dodge Neon seats. I think the fit is spectacular, you can use the Neon backseat in the Corvair, and they sit decent. I was at the local pick and pull junkyard Friday and late Neons are very plentiful, some with perfect interiors. They get $40/seat around here.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: SoBo ()
Date: February 03, 2013 07:50AM

jimster1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to add a vote for the Sebring seats. Not
> only do the front seats give you an integrated
> shoulder belt, but the rear seats install easily
> and likewise give shoulder belts for the back seat
> drivers. A side issue is the Sebring seat weigh
> next to nothing while the stock seats are very
> heavy. Loosing weight is the cheapest horsepower
> you can buy. Got pix if you are interested.

The Sebring seats make great sense. If I can, though, I'd like to try for a look as stock as possible.

Posted by: jcorvair ()
Date: February 03, 2013 08:13AM

Th integrated seat belt in the Sebring seat is a great feature, particularly in a convertible, but some people don't like the look. You must remember to get the inertia sensor under the seat though.

James
West Kelowna, BC

1965 Corvair, Corsa, Convertible 180/4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Turbo
2013 Hyundai Elantra (daughter's future car)
2016 Dodge 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 (for hauling cars, trailers, fifth wheels, quads, etc.)
2013 Victory Car Hauler (enclosed)
2015 Polaris 570 EPS
2016 Polaris 570 SP

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: February 03, 2013 11:27AM

VairKing
Personally I think the Sebring seat looks completely out of place in a Corvair. Way too bulky, too much sticking up above the door line, etc.

I completely agree on this point. In a coupe the extra bulk above the door line is somewhat less out of place than it would be in a vert, but it's not at all period correct. The high-backed seats break up the "true hardtop" look when viewed from outside. I've looked at other seats with integrated shoulder belts but haven't been able to determine if the inertia sensor circuits can be separated from the airbag system like they can in the early Sebrings. The third row seats from an Escalade look interesting and seem to be readily available on eBay, but they're still going to be tall in order to get the shoulder belt pivot point above the shoulder line. It's definitely a trade-off of function vs form in my case. I really liked the wide open look that the factory low-back seats provided but I definitly prefer the comfort and safety of the Sebrings. Wife agrees and that counts for two votes.

Reid M.
HACOA
Vegas Vairs
Washington, UT
65 Monza 110 PG

Posted by: MonzaDave ()
Date: February 03, 2013 11:42AM

Regarding Sebring seats, my major concern would be safety. There would be a large force applied to the seat's floor anchors in the case of an accident. Does the installation include substantial reinforcement of the floor?

Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: February 03, 2013 12:24PM

Dave - Good point. I definitely wouldn't install these seats with just the 4 factory seat mounting bolts. Although I didn't strengthen the floor pan, the seats are anchored at 6 points including the factory seat belt fastening locations, so my "perception" is that I'm a bit safer with head-rests and shoulder restraints than I would be with just lap belts. However, I'm not volunteering to be a crash test dummy to find out. smoking smiley

Reid M.
HACOA
Vegas Vairs
Washington, UT
65 Monza 110 PG

Posted by: jimster1 ()
Date: February 04, 2013 01:37AM

I'll try to correct a mis-conception. not all Sebring seats require the installation of the "brain box" which is essentially an accelerometer that senses g-force and locks the belts. This was used in only the early Sebrings. Later Sebrings use inertial reels for all seats, front and back. Much simpler and I'd thing more reliable. The brain box is a real PITA to install as one must separate left and right door switches with diodes so that it will unlock the belts so you can get out of the car. When I installed mine, I did reinforce the rear sear anchor points as that is where the crash impact would be felt. As far as the appearance issue, each to his own. Some like 'em, some don't, but in any case, WAY safer than stock. Amen

Posted by: Impala Guy ()
Date: February 06, 2013 06:52PM

Well, I finally managed to get one pic uploaded of the Procar Seats. I took several. Yes, I still need to put the cover over the recline mechanism. I am not much of a "techie" and don't know exactly how I did manage to get this one done. There are several more to come and my "help" should be in this weekend to help me.

I think they go well with the stock back seat.

(Please, for goodness sake, do not tell me to "search" and read the simple instructions. Those instruction are probably very helpful to most people but for me it may as well be written in Greek.)

'65 Corsa Turbo
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe
'65 Impala SS Ragtop
'95 Impala SS Sedan
'04 Pontiac GTO

Capital City Corvairs
Raleigh, NC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 06, 2013 06:58PM

Seats look great....

But you need to spend time with your help this weekend until you master it!

I can delete all errors!!! Done it many times for others...

From what I see.. you only have the one pic on your Photobucket webspace...

You seem to understand what to do after it's uploaded!! That's a start!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: February 06, 2013 08:07PM

Impala Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (Please, for goodness sake, do not tell me to
> "search" and read the simple instructions. Those
> instruction are probably very helpful to most
> people but for me it may as well be written in
> Greek.)

Συνεχίζουμε να προσπαθούμε. Θα το πάρει!

"Keep trying. You will get it!"

Kevin
Medina, OH

Date: February 07, 2013 06:38PM

My IT guru was able to get these pics out of my phone (upgraded to a "smart phone" around Christmas) and into my photobucket. Here are the Procar seats as installed in a '65 Corsa.

Hope this helps the OP with his original question. Sorry about the delay.

'65 Corsa Turbo
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe
'65 Impala SS Ragtop
'95 Impala SS Sedan
'04 Pontiac GTO

Capital City Corvairs
Raleigh, NC

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 07, 2013 07:11PM

Great job of making them LOOK like Factory!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 08, 2013 06:48PM

Matt,
I did not recover the seats. That is the way they came. Luckily my interior is black. Procar had some other products with more aggressive bolsters. I think it was too much of the "boy-racer" look. These fit the look of the car better and are still have more laterial supportive than the stockers.

'65 Corsa Turbo
'65 Greenbrier Deluxe
'65 Impala SS Ragtop
'95 Impala SS Sedan
'04 Pontiac GTO

Capital City Corvairs
Raleigh, NC

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 08, 2013 06:54PM

If you already have the black interior as Impala Guy does, then you are good to go with the Pro-Car seats. I really like the look of them and they certainly look as if they belong in that car. Sure wish I could get them in aqua.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: February 09, 2013 11:00AM

Has anybody taken a not tilting seat (from a sedan) and made it into a tilter (for a convertible)? The seats I want are from a late model Neon which is only made in a sedan (recline back but not forward) I wonder if I could take the guts from an older tilting seat and swap them out somehow....

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: February 09, 2013 11:37AM

I've had my local junk yard contact looking for a set of Focus ZX3 seats for me for quite a while now. My daily beater is an 05 ZX4 ST that has super comfortable seats but they won't tilt.

Attachments:
Date: February 09, 2013 11:48AM

Posted by: macavs ()
Date: February 09, 2013 12:00PM

Ryan, that picture is off the web of a ZX3 (coupe) that seats that DO tilt forward. My ZX4 is a sedan with seats that look the same but will not tilt.

Sorry for the confusion. I should have labeled the picture.

Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.