Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: viewmaster ()
Date: December 30, 2017 04:43PM

Tore down the top end, to track down an oil seepage. I suspected the top cover, and i think i was right. Added star washers under all the top cover bolts, to keep torque for a little longer.

While i have the carbs off, gonna do the Clark's teflon throttle shaft upgrade. That should get rid of my vacuum leak.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
'65 Monza Sedan turbo'd 110 SU conversion
Fresno, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2017 04:43PM by viewmaster.

Attachments:
Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: January 01, 2018 04:27PM

January 1, 2018 Polar Bear Run with local Vintage Motor Car Club. Actually, it is more like an un-official Corvair Chapter of the VMCCA. The Corvairs always outnumber all the other cars. Richard Payne (Ratt643) and I participated. It was 6 degrees when we left the house this morning. It warmed up to 16 degrees by the time we got back to Lexington, so we stopped at Baskin Robbins for some ice cream.

Richard's is the yellow 67, I'm in the turquoise 66.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 01, 2018 08:45PM

As I have said before, my Rampside is used for its intended purpose constantly - hauling. Well as I’m sure many locales do, the garbage convenience center inisists all loads be covered with a tarp and tie downs. Fine except that corner by the ramp. The stake pockets work for the other parts. This has usually meant I tie the straps to the passenger door handle! Well I finally corrected that. This took about 2 minutes to bolt on and ought to make life easier!

Date: January 10, 2018 11:41AM

Last night, buttoned up carb rebuild, after doing the Clark's throttle shaft, teflon seal kit. WHAT A FRIGGIN PROCESS THAT WAS!!!! Still having issues with Cal Corvairs, rebuild kits, having wrong size, aftermarket fuel inlet jet. angry smiley

So...will be installing these, back in "Whitey", for a trip to Kettleman City, this Sat.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 10, 2018 11:45AM

Show us the different inlet valves?

Why not use the old ones if they don't leak?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: January 10, 2018 02:16PM

Matt, I did use the old ones. ill see if i have pics.

-m

Mike
'65 '500' Sedan 110 PG
Fresno, CA

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: January 13, 2018 10:00AM

Started swapping gears etc. from my Crown V8 mainshaft to the new one Mike Levine gave me. The reverse thrust washer that goes with the 'wavy' washer was broken from when I was trying to mate the tranny and diff. Super tight fit, tried to force it. That would have sucked if I hadn't discovered that. Should have the transaxle assembled by the end of the weekend. Progress! ;-)

Dave, Kamloops, B.C. '65 Crown V8, 2017 Mazda CX3

Posted by: dolomitefan ()
Date: January 13, 2018 10:26AM

Front seatbelt install completed. I opted for 3 pointers in the end. With no factory mounts I had to do it all myself. Worst part was the upper pillar plate which I installed using some wire, patience and cunning.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Gibson, Staffordshire, England

1961 Corvair Greenbrier
1980 Triumph Dolomite Sprint
2009 Mazda MX5
2018 Infiniti Q30

Date: January 13, 2018 10:31AM

Way to go Mark!!

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: BobV66Vair ()
Date: January 13, 2018 12:30PM

Well done.

Bob Vinnacombe
Sandy, Oregon
1965 Corsa 140 stock
1966 Monza Soon to be race car
1968 Monza Parts for now

Posted by: Pacerace ()
Date: January 14, 2018 01:24PM

Wasn't today but Friday. Finished up the Civic steering joint shift coupler, and swapped the more correct horn button onto the steering wheel.

Chandler
Powder Springs, GA.

1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp Coupe

Attachments:

Date: February 03, 2018 09:48PM

I installed the colt disk brake setup I had on the shelf on my wife's '64 today. I had been driving it this past week and the font brakes were getting a little iffy. Well I had this turn key colt setup sitting on the shelf since I took it off my '63 earlier this year when I swapped it out for a LaVair setup. I had been over driving the colt setup in the '63 with its turbo. I think the pg 110 in the '64 will do just fine with it.

Date: February 04, 2018 10:23AM

I installed one of redone76's oil pan rails on aforementioned 64 this morning. Most of my cars have aluminum pans, but this is such a neat idea I had to try one and the 64 had its original pan. I cheated a bit and used a jack and board to Oh so gently hold the pan in place while I removed the bolts so I didn't have to remove the pan. I'd had it off a while back for the standard straightening and new gasket anyway. Also had installed longer bolts then so that made it easier as well. Took maybe 15 minutes. Neat product! Then I took it out for a car wash and fresh tank of gas. Disk brakes make such a difference!

Date: February 04, 2018 10:26AM

You sure seem to keep busy! Now the wife and kids are safer!

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: February 04, 2018 03:07PM

Attended our local Cars and Coffee yesterday morning. Since it was below 32 degrees ( 23 to be exact) I kept the top up! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Attachments:
Posted by: Cal air ()
Date: February 05, 2018 12:31AM

Fix an oil leak 4 to goeye rolling smiley

Posted by: Cal air ()
Date: February 05, 2018 12:34AM

Fixed an oil leak 4 to go tired of looking at Exxon everywhere I go.eye rolling smiley

Date: February 05, 2018 07:46AM

About time!

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 05, 2018 10:54AM

On Saturday afternoon, got it back from Rex Johnson's into my own shop. Today will clean it up, put it on the new jackstands, take off the wheels and tires and get it ready for Duane Westlandt to come down to have a closer examination and tell me what I need to start on. I'll follow his directions on the process.
In related activities, will assemble the new 40lb glass bead blaster to prepare for getting the fasteners and suspension bits cleaned up.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: February 08, 2018 09:29AM

Spent most of Tuesday and Wednesday reorganizing the shop for later project work efficiency. Sorted various parts into newly redone and ready to install, needing to be redone, and old for sale later on.
Got some room around the car for later work.
Picked up the new front LM trim piece last night at the Corsa Oregon meeting.
Will be assembling the new blaster cabinet today and tomorrow.
Saturday will be moving the drivetrain that Rex assembled -- I paid him for it last night -- over to my shop, where I assembled a stand/table for it capable of holding ton.
Duane gave me a list of things to do, and I'll set about doing them sometime later today. Sometime next week might be able to drop in on him and have him show me how he wants the various fasteners, clips and other bits cleaned for refinishing. His list also includes contact information for some local experts on glass, rechroming/refinising and other useful topics.
Time to push on into this project.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.