Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 9 of 182
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:36AM

Sandblasted the rear cross member last night. I keep blasting parts as time permits. Hopefully will have all the rear suspension parts blasted within the next couple of weeks. Planning on pulling the heater box and blasting it too before all is said and done.

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: February 21, 2013 08:14AM

Brushed some snow off and drove it to work:

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: February 21, 2013 10:08AM

Likewise.Cleaned off the car and took my grandaughter to school after a 2 hour delay.By then most of the roads were only wet so I couldn't have any have any fun.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:07PM

Over the weekend I wanted to start both old cars and let them run for a while. The Comet had not been started for at least two months and the Corvair had not been started for about a month.

The battery in the Comet ran down pretty quickly, before gas ever got to fhe carb. I knew the battery was getting old so I checked the tag on the 65 month NAPA battery, and the date was July 2006. So I have gotten something like 79 months out of a 65 month battery.

Next, to the Corvair, which has the same cheapo "Econo Power" battery in the car as when I bought it about two and a half years ago. After a bit of cranking to get fuel to fhe carbs, it fired up.

After pulling it outside and letting it idle for a few minutes, I opened the hood and was immediately greeted by the smell of gasoline. Drip, drip from the fuel pump, which I replaced about a year ago. The screws were loose, so I tightened them, leak gone.

I'm not ready to declare victory yet, as the same thing happened with the previous pump (which looked pretty new itself). When I tightened the screws on the previous pump, the leak stopped only to start weeping a bit a short time later, even though the screws were still tight. Time will tell on this latest pump.

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:31PM

STIG, YOU ROCK!!!! I drove mine today as well, but did not have to remove any frozen precipitation. Great to see someone that truly uses his car for a daily driver. I drive mine year round, but don't have to contend with much snow and ice here.

Gregg, if you drive the car much at all, you will be going electric soon enough. I had 3 mechanical pumps fail for three different reasons over a 4 year period. The last one, which I still carry for a spare worked well enough. It just kept venting gas fumes into the engine compartment and would burn your eyes when you ran the heater. I don't know why it did that, nor do I care. I put in the electric pump about 2 years ago and have never regretted it for a second.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Date: February 22, 2013 08:38AM

Thanks Cliff. smileys with beer I actually drove it another 80 miles round trip through the mountains to a friends after work. Nice drive. Don't tell its mechanical fuel pump though. grinning smiley

Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:34PM

I installed a brake light switch.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 22, 2013 05:49PM

Nice!! luv those Swagelocs!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: February 22, 2013 07:05PM

Truth be known, they're AN fittings. I like and trust Swageloks, but figured I'd get grief from people if I used fittings with ferrules.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:09PM

Been retired too long.... Sw-L nuts are shorter?

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 22, 2013 07:31PM

Yesterday, since we had a snow day, I pulled a tail light and began testing my LED array that I will be installing. I had installed an electronic blinker a couple of weeks ago. It worked just fine with the LED array. I ordered some large grommets to see if that will be a way to mount the array. I don't like just gluing it in place. Also decided that I need to buy new tail light lenses. Also did a lot of looking and figuring on how I'm going to re-organize my fuel-pump wiring to allow for a bump switch and the movement of the oil pressure pick-ups to the side of the engine compartment. More to come on this project.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: February 22, 2013 07:46PM

Paul, how many LEDs will there be in the light? How are you handling bright / dim? Sounds like an enjoyable project!

Matt - Swagelok nuts probably are a bit shorter, but the big telltale is the tube sleeves, which are hard to see in that picture.

James
'65 Corsa project

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:10PM

Wyvern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I installed a brake light switch.
>
> [corvaircenter.com]
> 223,filename=Corvair+002-640.jpg
------------------------------------------------------
James the work you are doing to this car is awsome! you realy need to start your own thread and update all the work you are doing! your work is top notch stuff!!!thumbs up

Email me at: Dave Motohead

1960 4dr sedan caveman car
1961 Rampside (Chetside)
1962 Rampside (Barnside)
1962 Short Rampside (Shortside)
1962 Monza 700 Wagon
1963 Monza 900 coup (General Nader)

-----------------------------------
Rust Free Lancaster Ca

Posted by: Paulsgt ()
Date: February 22, 2013 08:38PM

James,
here is a (bad) picture of what I'm working on...

65 Corvair tail light lens and tail/stop/turn signal array. The B/U light array also includes connections for tail/stop/turn signal as well. The array fits inside the tail light housing but it is recommended that you glue it in. I am looking for a more elegant solution. After the tail lights, I have some upgrades for the head lights coming as well.

Paul Sergeant
CORSA Central Division Director / CORSA Treasurer <-new title
Lee's Summit, MO
CORSA since 1975
Member – HACOA, Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, Little Indians, POCI

Date: February 23, 2013 05:23PM

Picked up my friends new '64 vert. Drove it (scary ride) to my house to set up hand controls in it and do a lot of much needed work. Bad carbs, mousy wiring and bad suspension bushings to start with! I'll have a busy few weeks.

Posted by: brocklanders ()
Date: February 23, 2013 11:14PM

Finished off my corsa dash and stayed up until 1 a.m. deflashing one of my heads with great results. This is for a very secretive project winking smiley

1968 Corvair 500 coupe 140 4 spd
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada

Posted by: nyciti ()
Date: February 24, 2013 06:34AM

Shaved the vents on the wiper cowl :-)

Posted by: BanaBob ()
Date: February 24, 2013 07:58AM

Not today, but yesterday (since my previous post disappeared), I bought a trailer to haul my buggy around to this shop and to that shop and that other shop and to ....

Bob Leibold ~~ central Florida

Posted by: BritCars ()
Date: February 24, 2013 09:41AM

Steady slushy snow all day so far and I drove mine around the island on errands and to a rehearsal.

At our [only] grocery store a neighbor asked me if "the little car was good in the snow." He thought he remembered that the engine sat in the rear but wasn't certain. I assured him it did and that the Corvair was quite something in the snow.

Jeff

Jeff Aronson
Vinalhaven, Maine 04863
'66 Corvair Monza Coupe 110 hp 4-speed
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" SW
'66 Land Rover Series II-A 88" HT
'80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
'80 Triumph Spitfire
[www.landroverwriter.com]
[www.dirgocorvairs.com]
[roversmagazine.com]

Posted by: Mel ()
Date: February 24, 2013 09:46AM

All I did is look at my Corvair project todaysad smiley I'm too busy doing drywall in the house to work on Corvairsangry smiley

Orangeville, Ontario. CANADA

Attachments:

Current Page: 9 of 182

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.