Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 8 of 176
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Date: February 13, 2013 04:14PM

That looks terrific, Joe. Better than new!

Dan Davis ~ Pierce County, WA ~ CORSA Western Director + Corvairs NW + North Cascades Corvairs + Corvanatics
1966 Corsa Turbo coupe ~ ~ 1966 140 Corsa ~ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 'Vert Sierra Tan/Fawn ~ 1964 Monza 'Vert (SOLD) ~ 1960 Monza Ermine White/Red PG ++ ~ 1965 Monza 140/4 Evening Orchid w/ ivory/black interior ~ 1962 Monza Wagon 102/4 ~ 1963 Rampside/Scamper ~ 1963 Red/Greenbrier ~ 1969 Ultra Van #468

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: February 13, 2013 06:05PM

I ensured that I have the stiffest suspension in the valley!

I also improved my clutch linkage.

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: February 16, 2013 11:30AM

Finally something other than driving it!! gg

Installed the new ebay / Texas Engine lid insulation blanket

Came with 18 round retainers... you only use 12... fit well and looks great!

$32 including Clips and shipping...

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Attachments:
Posted by: stitch ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:35PM

Put same in mine cuppla years ago. Really DOES cut down on noise. Saved the original metal clips. Don't know why. Wifey used to say I was turning into a hoarder. "Packrat", I think was her words...smiling smiley

BTW, why is it called a TEXAS insulation? confused smiley

"If you can't fix it with a Hammer, you have an Electrical problem."
Stitch...
Schertz, Texas.
(Smallish town/burg 17 mi. NE of San Antonio)

!967.. 4th body
8th off the line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 03:37PM by stitch.

Posted by: sofast1 ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:46PM

The seller on ebay is in Texas.eye rolling smiley
(click on the "$32" link)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2013 03:47PM by sofast1.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: February 16, 2013 03:46PM

James, I should probably know, but what type of trans-axle is that in your car and what are the specifics as per the engine? thanks,

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: poofdirt ()
Date: February 16, 2013 04:36PM

What did you do to your Corvair today?

Charged the battery, drove it to the car wash and ran some errands.

Pahrump, NV

Posted by: briand ()
Date: February 16, 2013 04:56PM

Drove the 63 convert to work(which I do everyday) and worked on the Evening Orchid. What do you guys think about the wheels?? Original with the caps or...

Brian Dowdy
Orland, CA
66 coupe 110 4sp, 65 coupe 110 PG Evening Orchid P-P (been on 3 year hiatus ), 65 coupe 110 PG, 65 Monza 140 4 sp coupe tele wheel Orchid P-P, 65 Monza 140 auto convert w/ power top,Crocus Yellow, 65 Corsa turbo convert, '65 Corsa 140 4 sp coupe, 64 Spyder convert,64 Greenbrier 8 door, 63 6 door Greenbrier, 63 convert 4 sp (Ratty), 63 coupe, 63 coupe w/spyder running gear(becoming a parts car), 62 4 door, 61 Lakewood 500, 61 Lakewood 700
some of my work---> [photobucket.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.hotrod.com] [www.lowrider.com]

Attachments:

Date: February 16, 2013 05:14PM

I like that style with the smallest cap you can find..

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: February 16, 2013 05:56PM

Nice wheels, even nicer February weather!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: Ray W ()
Date: February 16, 2013 06:17PM

Since there was some trouble in getting the right carb to close smoothly when adjusting the balance last summer, I pulled the carb to check it out. I had installed the spring loaded o-ring kits before as the throttle shaft was pretty sloppy. As it turns out, when the kits are installed without any other modification, the spring on one end of the shaft is compressed more than that on the other end. The result is that the more compressed spring had more force to push the shaft, and so the throttle plate, toward its end and causes the plate to rub against the throttle bore, especially as the plate is almost closed.

Well, the best solution seemed to be to get rid of the o-ring kits and replace the throttle shaft, which I did. The old shaft was worn but apparently the bore is also as the new shaft was still kinda loose. So, the 0-ring kits went back on, but with the addition of a sleeve on the end of the less compressed spring to make the force of each spring the same and relieve the plate from being forced to the side and against the throttle bore. That improved the throttle closure but the tight o-rings themselves cause drag on the shaft. To reduce the drag I cut the springs shorter, enough to lighten the drag but still seal the rings. The throttle closure is still not optimal, but much better than it was before.

Another thing I did for fun , since I had the throttle shaft out, was to shave the shaft and reduce its obstruction of the throttle bore. Taking .040 inch off of each side of the shaft increases the throttle opening 12% !! Not that it will improve airflow all that much since the venture is still the same size. But what the heck, it was fun doing it and maybe it will be good for .01 horsepower!

Now I need to do the other carb.

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Date: February 16, 2013 06:26PM

Carb should work fine now!! Attention to detail always pays off!

Posted by: mercman ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:07PM

put on new wheels and tires

65 Monza 110 pg
65 Monza 110 pg convertible Danube Blue sold
67 500 sport sedan 110 pg
Crown kit waiting for the right car
LEHIGH VALLEY CORVAIR CLUB

Attachments:

Posted by: GenXVairNut ()
Date: February 16, 2013 07:09PM

Bought the Clarks quartz conversion for my corsa clock. Its in the mail!

Joel E.
Cave Creek, AZ
65 Corsa Coupe

Posted by: Frogfinder ()
Date: February 17, 2013 02:14PM

Took off the center single holley 4 bbl set up and reinstalled the factory 4 1bbl set up. Got engine started and did not see any fuel leaks. Called it a day so i could do lunch and talk corvair with my son and wife.cool smiley

Posted by: corvairdoug ()
Date: February 17, 2013 03:11PM

Reinstalled passenger side Vent window and door window (vent had to be re-rechromed),
then peeled off roof rail weatherstrip, and chrome track it sits in.
Did somebody say Kalamazoo?

Posted by: Wyvern ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:12AM

I installed front brake pads. Normally, not a noteworthy event, but I had a dilemma. The pads that fit did not have the friction material I want, and the pads that have the friction material I want did not fit.

The D8 pads would not fit, and, ignoring Dave's suggestion to use a bigger hammer, I decided to grind and file them to fit.

The top one is the D8 profile. The black one is the desired D3 profile (but not the desired friction material), and the right one is after grinding and filing.

Et voilà!

James
'65 Corsa project
"I may not always drive a car, but when I do, I prefer a Corvair. Stay loose, my friends."

Posted by: BanaBob ()
Date: February 20, 2013 10:44AM

I cranked it over without starting because it's been sitting awhile. Since the fiberglass body is off, I'm going to roll up the wiring harness and other wires and use some wire ties. And now I am searching for a trailer to haul it to the shop to get a custom gas tank made to fit, and then......

Bob Leibold ~~ central Florida

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: February 20, 2013 11:46PM

Well, I havent worked on a Corvair in awhile, but i got a chance to use Corvair parts in another application, if that counts.

Im restoring a 68 CJ5 with factory Ramsey PTO, and the top of the PTO unit was open to dirt, water, etc around the shifter. I used a EM dipstick boot as a miniature shift boot to keep stuff out. Sealed it up nicely!

Picture from test fiting. All parts were painted, and I found a set of correct head screws before installation. And yes, I posted this on a Jeep forum, WITH a link to the Clarks site where anyone else can do this too.

Proof that not all EM parts are useless! GGG

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa factory turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
66 Corsa 140 coupe 95% rust free project car FOR SALE
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
66 Monza 95/PG coupe. Fix? Sell? Admire as it is?
65 Corsa coupe 140 4 speed PARTING OUT
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, four Jeep FC 170s, 66 CJ5A, 4 Rokon Trailbreakers, 3 vintage Honda 50cc minibikes, 4 Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2013 11:50PM by sweet66monza.

Attachments:
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: February 21, 2013 04:12AM

The '63 got new top pads and weatherstripping done. When the person putting the new top on several years ago did it, they didn't spend the few bucks for new pads, so I have has a nice new top w/ 50 YO pads that were literally rotting away. Another one of those penny wise pound foolish decisions....

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Current Page: 8 of 176

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.