home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“Performance
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 3 of 174
Re: What did you do to your Corvair today?
Posted by: azdave ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:26AM

Paulsgt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @Dave W. Those white wheels on the 4-door are
> simply Awesome!!! That is a great look and very
> unique!

Thanks! A couple of LM sedans here also run those rims so I'm not unique but certainly not a rim you see too often on Corvairs. I like the fact that they have a deep polished lip and also that they hide the brake drums behind the rim structure.

I may cut a coil front and rear but for now I'll run it like this.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 140 4-speed
65 Corsa 140 4-speed
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 455 Toro V8
65 Monza 110 Convertible
65 Monza 4DR 140 PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T w/5-speed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 05:27AM by azdave.

Attachments:
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mguider ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:41AM

I drove it like I stole it ! We had nasty rainy weather for over two weeks, so I uncovered the vert pulled it outside and off we rode ! smiling bouncing smiley

Mark
Choo Choo Corvair
63 a/c coupe Driven cross country.

Posted by: John Booth ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:49AM

Paid a visit to the body shop. Been there for 3 months. Maybe March. Complete body resto.

John Booth
Roselle, IL.

Posted by: TIBCO ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:23PM

I took mine out for a 10 mile shake down. It was 26 degrees today and expected to drop into the single digits tonight. Since I haven't had it on the road since New Year's Day, I decided it was now or never. Ran like crap the first few minutes but eventually settled down and performed quite well. This little car doesn't care much for cold weather.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY
CORSA, CKCE
66 Monza, 140/4sp

Posted by: bought1 ()
Date: January 21, 2013 04:26PM

Opened the garage door, looked at both of them, sighed, and went to work in my truck...No more driving here...the damn town laid down what seems like an inch of salt!

Dave

Posted by: bill darcy ()
Date: January 21, 2013 05:24PM

Let me first compliment Dave on his choice of wheels.Stunning!!!! Spent most of the afternoon refining the carb linkage on the 3 carb 65 500 cp.Yes,I promise to post some pics.My buddy David has a very good handle on how to do it.Me not so much.Anyway car runs strong and I believe it may be a slight improvement over my stock 140.Still lacking a bunch of stuff to make it legal but at least the drivetrain is done.

In the Hub City, Belen NM

Lead from behind..... get left in the dust
"I have not failed I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work" Thomas Edison

Posted by: mckinneym ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:22PM

Ahhhh...all you old gear heads! Makes this noob feel even more inexperienced! I learned how to adjust the points, set the timing, and adjust the carbs on my '64 coupe.

OK, well, I'm thinking the carb thing is more of an art than can be learned in one afternoon, but, boy, it sure is purring now!

Oh, and yesterday, I taught my 13 year old how to change the oil in it...after teaching him a few new words while struggling with how the heck to get it up on jack stands!

-Mark

Posted by: davemotohead ()
Date: January 21, 2013 09:53PM

I put phils engine together,,then took it apart,,,then put it back together again,,,,then took it apart,,,and drank a beer and looked at it for a while,smoking smiley

Posted by: dedwinson ()
Date: January 22, 2013 08:49AM

I didn't do a damn thing other than walk by it multiple times each day as I go out the garage in the -11 temp. I think I am going to wear down the primer as I keep stroking the steel as I walk by.

I mull over the upcoming rear suspension order I have to place wondering how I can drum up the $700+ I am going to need to get the rear suspension all back together.

Naturally though, I am making a 20 mile round trip twice a day to the stables where my wife/daughter's horse is. Seems he hurt his leg being a dork and needs antibiotics and extra feed. This is after spending over $700 in vet bills so far this month.

Gee seems like there is a match... Hmmm $700 in car parts needed, $700 in vet bills ...... What to do, what to do. damn horse.

I think my college senior middle son has it right. He doesn't want a girlfriend right now. They are too expensive, moody and want all that extra attention. He doesn't have to justify buying anything for his car or his upcoming job as a cop.

Dave Edwinson
Doing Vairly well in Minnesota
'66 Vert 140HP
www.frontiernet.net/~dedwinson

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: January 22, 2013 10:00AM

On Saturday, my wife and our co-pilot Buddy ran up to Kolob Canyon to warm up the Corvair a bit. There was still quite a bit of snow up there and the views were fantastic.

On the way home, we ran out of gas about 100 yards from our highway exit. I shifted into neutral and rolled off the highway making a "slow and go" left back over the interstate, rolled down the hill and around a traffic circle, made two more right turns and rolled to a stop in front of a gas pump. My wife was impressed that we made it without me having to push, but suggested that I not cut it so close the next time!

When we got back home, I did a quick oil change and then headed over to Junky's place to re-install my lower shrouds. Turns out it does get cold in southern Utah and a working heater is a nice feature to have. Once the shrouds were back on, we ran over to meet another Corvair guy in the area who has some interesting vehicles. I neglected to take any pictures of his beautiful Corsa or his rampside (not to mention the the mid-engine V8 rampside he's building, or the Studebaker, or the 50's wagon...). I guess another visit is in order, or it didn't happen.

Reid M.
HACOA
Vegas Vairs
Washington, UT
65 Monza 110 PG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 10:02AM by reidmier.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 23, 2013 07:06AM

After having the front carpet out of the '63 vert to do the clutch cable and some other work - I decided to re-dye it. Daily use with the top down, in the New Mexico sun since I installed the carpet six years, ago had left it looking pretty faded. A good soak in red dye and it looks good as new. This marks the completion of a lot of little projects I had set out to do to this car over winter. It will always need work as it is a daily driver, but it is in good solid shape now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 07:07AM by The Stig.

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: January 23, 2013 08:16AM

Those views make you miss KC, don't they Reid? winking smiley

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: January 23, 2013 09:44AM

The Stig Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After having the front carpet out of the '63 vert
> to do the clutch cable and some other work - I
> decided to re-dye it. Daily use with the top
> down, in the New Mexico sun since I installed the
> carpet six years, ago had left it looking pretty
> faded. A good soak in red dye and it looks good
> as new. This marks the completion of a lot of
> little projects I had set out to do to this car
> over winter. It will always need work as it is a
> daily driver, but it is in good solid shape now.
>
> [farm9.staticflickr.com]
> 0d4d77_z.jpg
where is a good place to get carpet dye?

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
Now I have 1965 convertible as well, got it running in June, autocrossed in July 2016 at the convention!

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: reidmier ()
Date: January 23, 2013 09:58AM

Chris - The views make us wish we had all of our KC Corvair friends AND their cars here to enjoy the cruises with us. We miss HACOA a lot!

Reid M.
HACOA
Vegas Vairs
Washington, UT
65 Monza 110 PG

Posted by: Ratt643 ()
Date: January 23, 2013 06:59PM

Started mine up last night, moved it ou tof the garage. Let it run for about 10 minutes and put it back in.

1964 Monza Coupe

Maryville, TN
U.S. 129 The"Tail Of The Dragon"

Posted by: Joe West ()
Date: January 23, 2013 07:04PM

I changed the engine oil and filter, transmission fluid and differential fluid today. I love crawling under the Corvair on my creeper and checking everything out to make sure there are no problems. Summers here inarizona are so hot that I rarely drive the turbo in the summer. Winters on the other hand... Absolutely heaven.

Date: January 25, 2013 05:32PM

Today was more maintenance. I hit all the grease fittings with some Mobile 1 Synthetic grease. I included filling the steering gearbox with the same synthetic grease.

Posted by: albowlly ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:46PM

I put on a new set of plug wires and a new rotor and still had a persistent miss. With the cap and rotor off again I looked closely at the pentronic I wires and noticed that they had been rubbing the bottom of the rotor and shaft and each had copper showing. Taped them up and for the first time drove the car without a miss. When I purchased this car a few months ago I attributed all the problems to the holley four barrel set up. I started rebuilding the original carbs in November and installed them over the holiday break. Also synched the carbs today.

Tom Catchings
McComb, Ms.

'66 Corsa Convertible
'64 Monza Convertible
'61 Rampside

Posted by: pilot4ifr ()
Date: January 25, 2013 08:40PM

voltage regulator, distributor, coil ......

PILOT4IFR
62 Coupe 700
102hp
4 speed
KC,MO
Photobucket

Date: January 30, 2013 04:12AM

I spent yesterday replacing my 18 year old Clark's fuel sending unit. The float had developed a leak and sunk, leaving the gauge to read empty all the time. When I examined the float, I could see where the arm that holds the float had abraided the float causing a leak. It is nice to have a working fuel gauge again after a few months without it.

Current Page: 3 of 174

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.