Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 241 of 242
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: kmart356 ()
Date: December 26, 2022 06:09AM

"Murphy is my Copilot" ... sometimes things just happen when you ain't done this before. When I removed the busted trans from the diff, the gear oil came spilling out so I let it drain overnight. The rebuilt trans slid into place rather easily as I was very careful to align the shaft(s) and keep everything level. thumbs up

After pouring in a few pints of my fresh Brad Penn GL4, (Murphy came to visit) - I realize all the used oil didn’t come out so now i had old/new oil mix thumbs down

Once i found my spare diff cover gasket, I decided that I would use a handheld suction pump to extract "all" the oil. Cover off, pumping proceeded smoothly until ... (Murphy came to visit). The tube that was inserted into to diff got caught up in the bottom of the diff and fell off the suction pump. eye popping smiley

After staring at the tube sitting under the diff gear, I remembered the teachings of "The Maestro"(RIP) - adapt tools & techniques. Attached a long 5/8" fuel line to an old oil spout that was wrapped in duct tape to slip fit into the shop vac hose. Used that 4HP shop vac to suction ALL the oil from the diff and then suctioned that plastic tube up enough to reach with needle nose. smiling bouncing smiley

Decided to finish off that day by fitting up the heat insulator retainer plate to clear the exhaust wrap on inlet pipe.

I should have this all done in a few more days IF Murphy stays away.
Merry Christmas!

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: December 29, 2022 07:26AM

... well Murphy came back to visit. Having successfully lifted the power train (on my new motorcycle jack (with Finch cart) and firmly lifting in place, i began tightening the mount nuts. The rear engine mount stud stripped as you can see in the photo.

Interestingly enough the torque specs in shop manual seem to be a bit hefty. Maybe they don't need to be 50-60 ft lbs. In any event, the engine was still fully supported by the cart and prevented any further damages to car or my person. I will be using the "tighten by feel" method next time.

Always be aware, Murphy is lurking. eye popping smiley

New jack-cart works very well.

Stripped threads on rear mount stud not good.

Posted by: RexJohnson ()
Date: December 29, 2022 10:19AM

If you had an old mount with a good stud you could swap. I did that on a '66 style almost new mount where someone else used the book torque specs.

RJ tools
Salem,Oregon

Posted by: Ray W ()
Date: January 02, 2023 01:05PM

I believe that a list of that manual error, along with a bunch of others, is listed somewhere. Maybe someone else knows where it can be found. It would be nice to know.

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Date: January 02, 2023 01:18PM

FYI, I did do a search! smiling smiley

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 02, 2023 02:57PM

Ray W Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe that a list of that manual error, along with a bunch of others, is listed somewhere. Maybe someone else knows where it can be found. It would be nice to know.
======================================================================

In our FAQ's

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 03, 2023 08:54AM

Dropped a 1/2" combination wrench down the fan into the shroud and retrieved it with a magnet...does that ever happen?

Date: January 03, 2023 01:04PM

Thanks Matt

Ray W

Minneapolis
66 Coupe 95/4spd

Posted by: Winsamfarm ()
Date: January 10, 2023 03:33PM

Replaced the foams in the kick vents on both sides. When I got the car a year ago there were cardboard blankers in behind the plastic vent. When I took them out, the left flap was nowhere in sight so set about making one using the right side one as a template but mirror imaging it. About to install the new one and reached into the cavity and lo and behold, here was the missing flap. So both originals no installed with new foams.
Also have front struts out waiting for replacement rubbers to arrive along with replacement gearbox mounts. Once they are here in a week or two will get my hands dirty.
A question for anybody. After the car sits for a while it takes a while for the fuel to hit the carbs when cranking over before firing up. I am thinking of replacing the mechanical pump with an electric one and plugging the mechanical drive hole. Where is the best place to mount the electric pump. I see there is a section of rubber line under the car just forward of the engine firewall where one could fit. It would mean the pump wouldn't have to lift from the tank in this position. Or is it better to have it close to the position of the mechanical pumps original position. It will need a couple of extra fittings either way.

Thanks, Rod (new Member in New Zealand)
66 Monza Convertible. 140 4sp

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 10, 2023 06:32PM

Most guys mount the pump up front, as near the tank as possible.
Others have mounted them up in the rear above the tranny.
Each have their own reason which they espouse.
As for the fuel lines, most members here like to reverse them once they have converted to an electric fuel pump.
It really cleans up the appearance of the engine compartment when the lines run across the firewall side.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: January 10, 2023 08:44PM

I have just been watching a few YT videos. Most show close to the fuel tank. But the one I may opt for is temporary on electric using a push button to fill the bowls then allow the mechanical do its job.
When you say reverse the fuel lines, is that the people who reverse the carbs as well. Bit of a mission with the 4 carbs.

Date: January 11, 2023 12:19PM

Leave the carbs as is.
remove the Fuel lines as a complete unit, and turn them 180 degrees.
You put the connecting Tee towards the front of the car.
See this thread. > > > Click here for "Fuel Lines" thread < < <

WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Date: January 11, 2023 05:45PM

Understand now. I see mention of the 65 lines on the 66. Mine is the 66 with 140 4 carb. Thanks for your help.
Are you somewhere around Blaine? Spent 20 years at the end of the world on Vancouver Island.

Date: January 11, 2023 05:47PM

Somewhere near there, yes.

Date: January 14, 2023 11:21AM

Well after a few mid-course corrections, the power pack with new*rebuilt 4 speed transmission is now functional once again. The first drive was off-road drive around the front yard but i did grab reverse, 1st and 2nd with the short shift conversion. Everything feels "right" so road testing is next.

The original plan was to R&R transmission. Already had the rebuilt unit purchased 6years ago.

Additional items added to project scope along the way... While I'M AT IT syndrome
New 1500 lb. Aluminum ATV / Motorcycle Lift (old one was worn out and too heavy to drag around these days)
New turbo outlet pipe, Bosch O2 sensor, fittings, flanges, and exhaust wrap.
New starter
New rear engine mount after old mount developed stripped stud - do not use factory manual torque specs. Clarks shows 20-30 ft-lbs
New muffler delete exhaust pipe extension with support TBD
Short shift conversion using complete early 3-spd shifter assembly

"Just can't wait to get on the road again..."

Special thanks to these guys that fielded questions along the way thumbs up
63turbo, steve c goodman, toms73novass, The Stig, jjohnsonjo, thewolfe

Ken
'62 Spyder
Florida

Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: January 14, 2023 03:39PM

Have fun Ken

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: January 18, 2023 01:11PM

My big accomplishment for the year, so far. Got my dipstick back from the plating shop, installed new button and new O ring/gasket in the dipstick "cap".

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:
Date: January 18, 2023 01:15PM

thumbs up They did a beautiful job on it. cool smiley

Posted by: betenoire62 ()
Date: January 22, 2023 08:14AM

I spent some time troubleshooting the failure of left valve cover to seal properly. Turned out that a previous owner was using bolts of different lengths. Problem seems to rectified and the new seal appears to be working.

I did have to modify the valve cover seal to reduce the length and height by a few millimeters. The car came with IECO valve covers and I used the 'rubberized' gaskets. I used RTK to manage the areas where I cut the gaskets to size.

I removed the valve covers to inspect the valves and replace the failing gaskets whice were weeping a great deal.

Today I will retorque the valve cover fasteners and test. Previous warmup appeared to nearly eliminate the oil loss through the cover. This was a huge improvement over the first attempt and the old gaskets.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 22, 2023 10:57AM

Good luck These combos can be pesky!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Current Page: 241 of 242

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.