Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: November 24, 2021 03:11PM

After checking the fan belt, oil, and tire pressure, I went on a 82 mile round trip to visit an old buddy who can't drive much anymore. He liked seeing the things I've done to my Corvair.

The Covair ran GREAT. Almost all freeway driving and the first highway trip since I did my own alignment. I was very happy with the steering. No more wandering and see-sawing the steering wheel to stay in a lane. Just a nice drive with the hum of that flat six keeping me company. It was 75F and sunny, great driving weather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 03:13PM by 66vairman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: November 24, 2021 04:22PM

Thanks to Richard Payne, the '63 has an electric fuel pump and a thorough going thru. Got to bring it home this morning. Have sure missed driving it! smileys with beer

Oh and now he is onto getting the original block from the LW rebuilt as a 102. Maybe it will be going soon too!

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2021 04:23PM by TexasAg77.

Posted by: 1962FlatSix ()
Date: November 28, 2021 09:12PM

I'm finally getting around to working on my 69 Coupe before it becomes yard art. The donor engine was rebuilt at some point in its life but going for a full rebuild. By the looks of the main bearings, the prior rebuild wasn't a tidy one.

Attachments:

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 28, 2021 10:38PM

Looks like it was never touched!Typical!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: December 01, 2021 06:57PM

After the break-in, got the oil and transmission/differential fluid changed, and got an AC oil filter installed. Used the synthetic Z-Rod oil that Amsoil recommends for vintage cars because it has high zinc and phosphorus content. Then drove it home and put it inside the inflatable car bubble inside the shop. put the car cover on it fist, in case the power fails and the bubble might deflate. The car cover will keep the plastic from sitting directly on the paint. The bubble will protect it from possibly being touched by other tools or other stuff I am using in the shop. The fan that keeps the bubble inflated exchanges air every 10-12 minutes or so, and has a filter. Now I can put the Yukon back into the regular garage. Relief all the way around.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Posted by: 66vairman ()
Date: December 02, 2021 03:40PM

I took a 66 style telescopic steering column apart. I was told "Don't expect the shop manual instructions to be accurate", and they were NOT.

This is the uncommon standard steering wheel unit although the steering wheel is nothing like the non-tele standard steering wheel. There is ittle documentation on the parts for the horn button so I took lots of pictures. Luckily one missing part was used on GM pickup trucks and is reproduced.

The locking shaft mechanism wasn't what I expected, but a clever piece of engineering that didn't require any hi-tech, or close tolerance, finicky parts.

The biggest issue was dried out grease.

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: December 03, 2021 09:44AM

Earlier this summer I was gassing up for a ride when a guy one row of pumps over walked up to chat. He was asking me some questions about the convertible top (for some reason I had it up) and I had mentioned it's not original and in pretty good shape but is starting to fade. He mentioned that he details boats and recommended I try a product called Back to Black by Mother's to rehydrate it and remove the fading. He said it was better than redying as that tends to make the top shrink over time (his words, not mine).

Before putting on the cover for its winter nap, I decided to give it a shot - I had bought a bottle at AutoZone but never found time to apply it. I was impressed - took about 20 minutes to do the complete top and it looks a lot better - not new but not nearly as faded. Here are some shots after I had done one side of the top. Definitely worth the $10 or so that I paid for the bottle.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (wife's ride)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2021 09:44AM by Carburetor.

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: January 01, 2022 02:56PM

Details, Details, Details...they never end.

Correct e-brake cable clips...thank you Al.

Correct W/W hose clips...thank you Crusty.

Replaced 1/4 window flaps and pillar caps.

Thank you CA and my stash of misc plastic.

Attachments:

Date: January 01, 2022 03:44PM

Oh yeah...wipers too.

My arms and CA blades.

CA blades are really nice!

Attachments:
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 12, 2022 05:33PM

Over the last couple of weeks, I have made a lot of progress when I get a spare moment. Engine now needs exhaust, fan, shrouds, carbs, and alternator attached. I primed the oil system with a stripped distributor and drill.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Attachments:
Posted by: Spectre ()
Date: January 14, 2022 05:15PM

Very close now.

David Clamp

1965 Corsa convertible - 140 4spd/3.55/AM-FM

2013 Mustang GT convertible - 5.0, 6spd auto, Procharger i-1

2003 Miata SE - 6spd manual (wife's toy)

"Victory is mine!" - SG

Norman, OK

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: January 14, 2022 07:15PM

You Rock!!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: DOUG WARD ()
Date: January 14, 2022 08:04PM

For the past few months, the instrument lights in my '65 Corsa have been non-op. NONE of them. I checked the fuses, tested every bulb wire & found nothing. Today, I bit the bullet & removed the instrument panel & saw what appeared to be the "plug" that attaches to the light switch wasn't all the way "home" on the switch. When I was at Palm Springs last month, I found a NOS late model light switch for $ 10.00 from one of the vendors ( I think it was Marty Katz - RIP ) It was just a hunch. I put the new switch in today but it was too sunny to see if the dash lights worked. After dinner,( dark) I went out to the car & pulled the switch on. VIOLA !
Now, I have to figure out why the head temp gauge doesn't work. I have checked the wire connection at the thermister, and the connections at the plug where it attaches to the gauge & all is in good shape. Looks like i need a new thermister.
Tomorrow, along with our new Vintage Corsa club President, Dan Mills, we are driving to the Central Calif., Corvair meet & swap meet. ( Kettleman City ) It's 200 miles / 3 hours, over the "grape vine" mountains & should be a good day for the event. I think there will be a pair of '64 rear finned brake drums waiting for me there for my '62 Monza convert that I am restoring.

Doug Ward
Orange, Calif.
65 Corsa 180, 64 Monza convertible, 61 Lakewood, 61 Monza

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: January 15, 2022 03:30PM

Helping cut up a '65 Corsa today. Way too far gone to save. However I saw this and thought of Steve G. working there. Other interesting thing was I think it has original pinstripe. Maroon car with gold err Sierra Tan.

Date: January 16, 2022 07:30AM

After waiting four hours for AAA and then they called to say it would be another three hours.

My wife rescued me so I could bring my truck and trailer back...SEVEN hours not exaggerating.

Attachments:
Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: January 16, 2022 10:00AM

Phil Dally Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After waiting four hours for AAA and then they called to say it would be another three hours.
>
> My wife rescued me so I could bring my truck and trailer back...SEVEN hours not exaggerating.

Many of my friends and family have AAA but use it infrequently which is probably a good thing for them. I am not a member and don't really see any advantages to it.

Organizations like this are quick to take your money, reassure you that they will provide services as needed but then often jerk you around and make you wait.

As infrequently as I might have a need for any of the services organizations like this offer, I don't feel it is a good investment or of any comfort to have them.

Personally, I would rather take my chances and source the help I may need as the situation arises from someone who is more likely to show up in a timely manner.

It is kind of like having towing or rental car coverage on your automobile insurance policy.
Instead of being taken care of as expected when the coverage might come in handy, all that the insured seems to get are limitations and restrictions that were not made clear when the coverage was implemented. JMO

Yes, I am getting much crankier as I get older....or maybe I am simply seeing things clearer and won't stand for being abused by those who promise then don't deliver.confused smiley

1962 95 F.C. Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Date: January 28, 2022 10:12AM

After two flats in one day I hung some rollers on Zonker.

Kinda liking stock look...might have to buy four Maxxis's.

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: January 28, 2022 05:54PM

With those awesome stripes thumbs up, it kinda gives it that Authentic Racer look! cool smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: joelsplace ()
Date: January 31, 2022 09:18PM

I moved 5 of my recent acquisitions into their proper places in line and fixed a bunch of flats. Put the input shaft and torque converter on one with some wire to hold it together and installed a dipstick to keep out the dirt and water. Got the hauler ready to pick up 4 tomorrow.

Joel
Northlake, TX
5 Ultravans, 138 Corvairs and counting...

Date: February 02, 2022 12:01PM

Took delivery of the Schrum III racecar motor.

It still has Tom's one off grind turbo cam in it.

Freshened up by Paolo...thank you vairy much.

Attachments:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.