Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum - presented by CORSA The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: September 21, 2021 12:53PM

Today I deflashed the heads. Glad I spent so much time reading this forum or I would not have known to do that. What a difference. The air passages were half blocked.
Joe

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
2013 Toyota Corolla

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 21, 2021 06:14PM

I have never posted to this thread before, always to the regular forum. So this looks like it might be fun.

After finishing my Arizona car, at least finished enough to start driving it to club events, like the Springfield mini, I have been battling all sorts of gremlins, killing them off one by one. Well, I think I have finally fixed the nonworking gas gauge. I called up my long time friend Mike McKeel, and he helped me check out the system.

First was the dash gauge, which was good. Next the circuit. Again good. Lastly my fellow Friends of Corvair club member Ralph Sebrill provided a new tank gauge and Mike told me how to calebrate it. Got it checked out outside the tank and it's ok. So I got it in and the "new" old one out and Ralph's one in. So far I think it is working, but will have to fill it up and take a trip to be sure

I just want to say that I would be lost were it not for club members and friends who I would only have because of face to face meeting them through CORSA and my local Corvair club.

Mark

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: September 22, 2021 01:09PM

Cleaned up the FC rear grill and hardware. A coat of closely matching paint and reinstalled. It's all in the details.

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: September 22, 2021 02:32PM

67 airvair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Mike McKeel told me how to calebrate it. Got it checked out outside the tank and it's ok.
> Mark

Would you care to share this calibration process with us?

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock
Been Aircooled Since 1973
Northwest Ohio 45840

Posted by: 67 airvair ()
Date: September 22, 2021 03:09PM

If I remember it correctly, it goes like this. Set your meter on the 20 scale. Then wire your meter to the ground and the input stud, then move the arm to the empty tab stop. It should read 0.2 or close to it. if not, then bend the tab to the position that the arm will read that amount of current. Then slowly move the arm to full. It should read about 9.0 or there abouts. If it goes into reading past 10.0 (it will show just "1") then it has to have that tab back until it will clime up to 9 and go no further.

Lesson here is don't count on the repop gauge to be calibrated correctly right out of the box, like the factory ones were.

-Mark

P.S. Note that I'm no electronic engineer like Mikey. I don't know an ohm from a watt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2021 03:12PM by 67 airvair.

Posted by: fred bagnall ()
Date: September 23, 2021 01:29PM

I sand blasted a few parts for an FC engine that I am putting together. I am converting the generator to alternator while doing the swap

64 Greenbrier std -110, 4spd,barn find on the road again after 46 year hiatus.
66 Turbo Corsa, 180hp,posi-trac, quick steering HD suspension,AM-FM-multiplex,soft-Ray glass all around
Floridian currently residing in Nor Cal

Attachments:

Posted by: scottymac ()
Date: September 28, 2021 09:09PM

Not sure if this qualifies, but will post anyway. We've all read stories how hobbies go by the wayside when life has other priorities. Wedding house kids college tuition divorce recovery from same. Only in the last five - six years have I immersed myself in the Corvair hobby again. My '66 Monza was safe in my storage garage, and the '65 Corsa, well, there wasn't much more could harm it outside. The garage had been constructed about 30 years ago, and maintenance had been sporadic. It was time for a new roof and siding, and I finished most of the paint and trim today. I dug out an old CORVAIR DRIVE sign I probably bought 40 years ago, and nailed that above the entry door. Funny, I thought, the red on the sign almost matches the schoolhouse red I painted the new siding. $8,000 for the revamp is money that won't be available to restore the Corvairs, but at least if I don't get to finish them, at least the Monza will be dry and safe for the auction after I go.

Scott
Danville, In.
'65 Corsa coupe basket case
'66 Monza coupe

Attachments:
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: October 10, 2021 06:12PM

Picked up a core FC engine from a friend. He didnt know the history but it looked intriguing to me. It is to be a winter project but I could not help but dig in. My son helped and soon it was all apart.

Found a new clarks cam and clark forged octane cut pistons. I would guess maybe 5k on a rebuild. Early FC case that has been clearanced for a late crank. 66 110 heads. Aside from the fact is has been a mouse home and is filthy it could have been installed and run as is. Who knows. I'll replace the cam gear - its an ugly cast replacement. Clean everything up and re-assemble. Heck it even had a rebuilt harmonic balancer and two good thermostats.

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: October 10, 2021 07:47PM

Score!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: October 11, 2021 10:19AM

Well today I pulled the right hand 1,3,5 cylinder head. Came off cleanly. No studs moved, no broken hardware. All pushrod tubes are straight and clean, all three cylinders look real good-can still see cross hatch and no ring ridge, just carbon.
Head looks real good. All six lifters came out with just a shop magnet. NO wear on the lifter faces or sides.
So far so good on this teardown. Will hit the left side tomorrow. Hope to have as good of luck as today. Worried about the head studs coming out but not an issue so far. Will continue my slow and careful approach.

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
2013 Toyota Corolla

Posted by: BrianTom ()
Date: October 17, 2021 03:13PM

Dropped the front suspension/steering, took it apart and am now cleaning and repainting starting with the steering then the suspension. Replacing what I need to as I go along. I never knew grease could collect like it did on the suspension parts...it's a mess.

'63 Corvair 700
Huntsville, AL
[www.brianwindsor.com]

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: October 18, 2021 10:32PM

Finally, after 6 long years, the car (1966 Corsa convertible) is finished. From a basket case to show quality, it's pretty much Done. And correct throughout. Have been breaking in the engine and drivetrain that Rex Johnson built. Three laps today around the 7 mile loop by my house, and it now has 201 miles on it. Very satisfying to drive.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Very near concours perfect.

File Name File Size Date Added Delete
Corsasmall.jpg

Date: October 18, 2021 10:47PM

Congrats to you and Dwayne!

...............110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: October 19, 2021 05:34PM

thumbs up thumbs up
that is really cool!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border, I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: October 20, 2021 12:30PM

Congrats, that looks nice!

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible (SOLD)
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Date: October 20, 2021 02:33PM

Congratulations!!!

Date: October 22, 2021 03:55PM

Ouch!

Date: October 31, 2021 04:58PM

A quick steering box overhaul on my wagon was anything but. Above posted picture shows the worm gear bearing was destroyed. Never seen that happen before.
So I combined its parts with a perfect '60 box and new bushings and bearings etc...
While I was at it cleaned up the column, steering shaft, replaced the felt seal in the column and cleaned and lubed the turn signal parts. That was one of the last mechanical parts on this car I have not done. Driving great now.

Date: October 31, 2021 06:18PM

What a team the two of you make!

Posted by: Bruins_Fan ()
Date: November 18, 2021 04:24PM

Installed a new master cylinder, and bled the brakes. A good afternoon in my garage.

1966 Monza Convertible 110 PG
North Shore, MA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.