Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 216 of 216
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: July 25, 2020 11:19AM

Lookin' great! What a difference!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve c goodman ()
Date: July 25, 2020 01:21PM

Nice wheels and very (vairy) nice looking car Andria. Top down and head for nearest DQ.

best wishes, Steve
Rear Engine Spec. Inc. Golden, Colo.

1962 spyder 3.0L turbo---1965 Crown V8
1967 monza 110/4---1968 monza 110/4
1971 amante gt 110/4
CORSA/RMC/PPCC/V8 Registry

Posted by: dhomuth ()
Date: July 26, 2020 09:10AM

Not so much Today - it will hit 100F and I don't work in the shop when it's that hot. But the past week or so has seen a great deal of progress. The shell is on its wheels and going through the last cut and buff with the paint job. It looks spectacular! It will be going into the enclosed trailer Wednesday/Thursday and coming back to my place to await being transported up to Duane Wentland's place to begin the final assembly. Duane visited this past week to inspect the paint job, and found it Good. Save for one small misplaced hole for the C emblem on the RR fender, which was marked and redrilled. Checking fit with the appropriate emblems and trim bits indicates the holes are now all where they should be. Yesterday I FedExed five trim bits -- two A pillar pieces, two vent windows and the ash tray surround off to the chrome shop in Idaho. Those should pretty much do it for chroming and polishing. Fasteners to attach frunk lid and engine compartment lid are being painted, along with the emergency brake handle. Duane took some components with him back to his place -- particularly the steering column -- to be redone in preparation for assembly later. It now starts to look like a Car, and not just a bare metal project.

1966 Corvair Corsa convertible
Same car I bought in 1/68 the night before I went to Viet Nam he second time. Got it back in 8/15. Plan its first public runout come July.

[corvaircenter.com]

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: July 28, 2020 02:33AM

Rebuilt a 66 steering gear box yesterday for a friend in need of one. It will ship today. One left to rebuild and one orphan housing to head for the scrap pile.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: Dave Decker ()
Date: July 30, 2020 06:28AM

Installing the alternator on my Crown car on the right for more drivers side leg room. Will have to get creative with the water pump hose routing

Attachments:
Posted by: jehowelljr ()
Date: July 30, 2020 12:58PM

Small stuff in the grand scheme of things but it makes me happy.

Replaced the old worn pedal covers and the accelerator pedal. Seems a previous owner had a lead foot sometime during the past 55 years.

Jim Howell
Current:
‘65 Corsa Turbo Convertible
Previous:
'65 Corsa Turbo Coupe
'62 Monza Coupe
'64 Greenbrier (well that was my Dad's)

Sunny Southern California, great climate for a ragtop Corvair!

Posted by: doug6423 ()
Date: July 30, 2020 06:50PM

This week put in the Roger Parent clutch cable & pulleys.
Clark's Stainless Steel brake & fuel lines and new wiring harness.
Next is the shifter and connecting rods.

Doug
65 Monza
Cincy, OH

Attachments:
Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: August 01, 2020 12:48PM

Haven't had to do much but drive mine for a while, but the last trip I was going to make to pick up a torque wrench, once the chokes pulled off, it wouldn't idle. Off-Idle was fine.Today I discovered that it won't idle well on one completely blocked and one partially blocked idle siphon tube. Pulled the plugs and looked at them as well, just to make sure all looked well, and they did. I'll do a quick re-carb sync later today.

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 01, 2020 01:51PM

Went to the tag and title place across the street from the Motor Vehicle Administration and got the title processed. I walked out with Temporary Tags.
I took the tags to the Corvair Ranch where they did a four wheel alignment to it, replaced the front reaction rod (Hockey Puck's) bushings, installed a front tag bracket on it with the temporary tags and Brought the '65 Monza convertible home.
Once home the interior got vacuumed, wiped the paint down because it is to HOT to be out there washing the car.
Checked the timing because even with Premium fuel, the engine was pinging on me.
The engine is a RH code 110 PG and it was set at 16 plus degrees. Bumped it back to 14 degrees.
Set the tire pressures to 22lbs front and 28lbs rear with the new 15" tires.
I and am going out for a short ride to see how it does in this high humidity 85 degree heat.
Tomorrow I am planning on taking it out for a longer ride, close to 100 miles round trip.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2020 01:55PM by Caraholic4life.

Attachments:
Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: August 01, 2020 02:47PM

Worked on changing all 12 lifters... Got 10 done, but no Lifter extraction tool at any of the FLAPS. One will be here Monday. Heads have been redone too. Should be good to go for a while.

Ed McClintock
Cleveland TN
Choo Choo Corvairs
'61 Lakewood,,63 Vert, '83 Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler- [www.cj-8.com]

Attachments:

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: August 01, 2020 04:17PM

Can't get a curved tool like a cotter pin puller up in the cam side and pop them out?

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: August 01, 2020 05:46PM

Spray some carb cleaner in the bore with lifter full in. Then use strongest magnet to pull it out. I have done this several times to get a few out.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Posted by: TexasAg77 ()
Date: August 03, 2020 04:06AM

Will try that, but I have a lifter removal tool due in today... Should do the trick... Thanks for the ideas... Al.

Posted by: Seth Emerson ()
Date: August 09, 2020 11:14PM

Removed the dealer-installed GM trailer hitch from my new-to-me sleeping 67 Monza. There were a pair of Grade 8 bolts holding part of it to the actual bumper, underneath where they were hard to see. I couldn't budge them. I had to remove the whole bumper, then use a breaker bar - which did as advertised and broke off both bolts in the middle threads. Both halves fell out. My impact wrench couldn't budge them, it took arm strong leverage. I like the hitch, so I may send it out to get it re-chromed. It is now "On the list".

Posted by: Gregory_Miller ()
Date: August 10, 2020 08:03AM

It's amazing how nice just off-idle performance is when both idle circuits are functioning. One of them must have been plugged up for some time now, and I just thought it was the price to pay for my fat cam. Not so. Now that I have fixed the sticky fast idle cam that wouldn't allow the idle to drop (self inflicted) and re-synced the carbs, idle transition slot is now working in driver's side carb again and it is a true joy. Wish I'd figured it out sooner, and I have replaced suspect rubber fuel hoses in just outside engine compartment and into and out of the electric fuel pump. I cut the hose open that came out of the fuel pump and into the fuel line that goes to the back of the car and it looked fine. Perhaps I had one piece that was not ethanol rated of the 3 in my LM. I threw the other 2 our before I had a chance to verify it was the source of the little tiny black pieces I saw in the bottom of the fuel bowls. Runs great today, drove it to work. I might be able to lean out the idle screws a bit more and turn down the idle set screws a bit more too, but it's as close to running perfect as it's ever been. thumbs up

Greg Miller
Eugene, Oregon

Posted by: Caraholic4life ()
Date: August 13, 2020 03:57PM

My recently acquired 1965 Corvair convertible has successfully passed the Maryland State Inspection requirements.
As reported earlier some work had been done in anticipation of the inspection as well as preventative maintenance.

Upon the initial inspection the inspector found three items needing attention.

1. The back up lights supposedly didn't work.
They worked prior to and afterwards so I did nothing and they worked when I took it back this afternoon.

2. A rubber suspension bushing in the front end had a chunk missing. It was one I had just paid to have replaced.
I had another one for the Blue coupe so swapping it out was a fifteen minute job.

3. The rear brake shoes were reported to be incorrectly installed. They said one side had both primary shoes, and the other side had both secondary shoes.
Since they had the car up on the lift and apart at the time, I paid them a half hour's labor to correct that problem.

All I need to do now is return to the Tag & Title place I went to for permanent stickers, apply for the personalized tags and I'll be good to go.
This is something I plan on doing early next week after work.

I addition to the purchase price and the cost of the used aftermarket wheels I already had on hand, I have sunk another $2,000.00 into the car.
Included in that figure are five new tires, suspension & steering repairs a four wheel alignment, and replacing a leaking fuel pump.

I am now able to proceed with other items on my "To Do" list related to the car as I can afford to, and have the motivation and energy.
I already have a growing parts list and will make the Corvair vendors happy.

1962 95 F.C. Van
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Westminster, Maryland

MID ENG enthusiast &
prior Kelmark owner.

Current Page: 216 of 216

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.