Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 01, 2020 09:11PM

That just made it easier!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: June 02, 2020 10:14AM

Driving my convertible home on saturday, I noticed a slight gas smell when i got off the freeway. I was almost home so i went on ahead the 4 blocks home. Pulled in the driveway and found a MASSIVE fuel leak... turns out the flare broke completely off my clarks chrome line. Im feeling super lucky right about now!

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: June 02, 2020 10:30AM

Glad you are okay! thumbs up
What is that line made out of?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: sweet66monza ()
Date: June 02, 2020 03:11PM

American Mel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad you are okay! thumbs up
> What is that line made out of?

Thanks! It is steel. I was extremely surprised, i guess there is a first for everything! On the bright side though, I was pleased to see that Clarks chrome fuel line kits are triple-plate chrome!

Cody Hurley
North Idaho (Post Falls)
66 Monza convertible 140/PG, loaded with factory options
66 Corsa turbo coupe, 3rd owner fully documented [corvaircenter.com]
65 Monza coupe daily driver 110/4
Also 2 Ford f350 IDI diesels, six Jeep FC 170s, 1966 Jeep CJ5A, 03 neon, 5 Rokon Trailbreakers, Honda xr350s, and thousands of parts

Posted by: Carburetor ()
Date: June 03, 2020 10:20AM

Finally got around to installing a used hazard switch assembly I bought last summer. The attached pic shows before and after I cleaned it up. Also had to take the switch apart and clean the contacts, but it's working as it should. Just like my backup generator, I consider it an insurance policy that now I have it I'll never need to use it.

Jim C.
Chesterfield, MI

1966 Monza convertible (140 / PG)
2017 Chevrolet Trax (daily driver)
2017 Chevrolet Volt (wife's ride)

Attachments:
Posted by: mtmouse ()
Date: June 03, 2020 11:46AM

Front suspension assembly is now out and will be cleaned and ready for it's turn in the shop by tomorrow afternoon.Plan on complete cleanup, rust removal and paint, going back with all new wearables and hardware. Expect three or four months. No hurry, more interested in smooth and safe.
Progress.
Joe

Joe in South Ga
1965 Corsa 2 dr Coupe Turbo 4sp because I love the looks
18ft Chaparral 180 Sport because I live on a lake, seemed like the thing to do
Chevy Pickup to tow boat and tote things
Chevy Cavalier because they drive like a go-cart

Posted by: larry202br ()
Date: June 04, 2020 06:40AM

Here's where I'm at today:

1961 rampside with a 65 / 67 110 engine, car four speed.
1965 convertible
1966 Custom two door/four door 180 Turbo.

KC0SKX
Olathe, ks
HACOA

Posted by: gwrench ()
Date: June 07, 2020 05:10AM

Recently lucked into a set of wheels on Craigslist. Borbet wheels off a BMW. They measure 16x7.5. Not sure of the backspacing but they fit!

New tires installed yesterday 215/55/R16.

Dale
Loveland, Colorado

1965 Monza 140 barn find

Attachments:
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: June 07, 2020 07:20AM

Dale that coupe looks pretty sharp now. My 67 also has that type of body molding too. Always thought that factory wheels just didn't quite cut it. thumbs up Mike

Posted by: gwrench ()
Date: June 07, 2020 01:55PM

Thanks Mike! Previous wheels were 14" Olds rally wheels which are pretty nice but these are more modern and more options for 16" tires is a good thing.

Dale
Loveland, Colorado

1965 Monza 140 barn find

Posted by: BrianTom ()
Date: June 09, 2020 04:23PM

Got the front brake lines installed. Now on to lifting the the rear so I can get to those.

'63 Corvair 700
Huntsville, AL
[www.brianwindsor.com]

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: June 10, 2020 07:48PM

Six years or more ago I installed front and rear seats from a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix coupe in my 1965 Corsa without modifications, they were graphite in color. The exterior color was originally Sierra Tan with interior in fawn and off-white. The previous Seat Belts were Chevy Bow Tie in black but have been changed to Chevy Bow tie in white. Seats belts are from Seat Belt Solutions and very nice quality at affordable price.

When restored in 2014 I changed the exterior color from the '65 Sierra Tan to '66 Aztec Bronze but kept the interior color in the correct fawn and off-white color. The change in color was hard to make, but in terms of general public affirmations I have received many compliments. The Clark's door panels have held up well, other than a broken strap on one map pocket which I repaired myself, the panels are typical excellent Clark quality.

I knew the color change would be dramatic but the end results were worth the time invested, IMO. The Pontiac headrests are the hoop or see thru design and they were changed as well, but I like the seats without them so have omitted them for these photos. I have sourced small automotive plastic plugs that will be painted and fill the headrest mount holes. Headliner is white.

I kept the plastic seat panels and power controls of the Pontiac seats in original graphite color.

The photos labeled "Before" feature a real mahogany Nardi steering wheel (smaller diameter) which was originally used with AMR 15"x8" wheels, but I found the low speed steering combined with the upgraded GM QS box and arms was a handful, pun intended, so it was replaced with a GM Simulated Wood Wheel (larger diameter) which I have used for several years. Last summer I replaced the 8" wheels on front with 7" wheels and may I reinstall the smaller Nardi wheel and hope the steering effort is not too great.

BEFORE

AFTER

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: June 11, 2020 05:14AM

WOW Jimc, just WOW!

Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: June 11, 2020 07:35AM

It is stunning for sure!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Posted by: nicholas ()
Date: June 11, 2020 05:51PM

jimc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Six years or more ago I installed front and rear seats from a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix coupe in my 1965 Corsa without modifications, they were graphite in color. The exterior color was originally Sierra Tan with interior in fawn and off-white. The previous Seat Belts were Chevy Bow Tie in black but have been changed to Chevy Bow tie in white. Seats belts are from Seat Belt Solutions and very nice quality at affordable price.
>
> When restored in 2014 I changed the exterior color from the '65 Sierra Tan to '66 Aztec Bronze but kept the interior color in the correct fawn and off-white color. The change in color was hard to make, but in terms of general public affirmations I have received many compliments. The Clark's door panels have held up well, other than a broken strap on one map pocket which I repaired myself, the panels are typical excellent Clark quality.
>
> I knew the color change would be dramatic but the end results were worth the time invested, IMO. The Pontiac headrests are the hoop or see thru design and they were changed as well, but I like the seats without them so have omitted them for these photos. I have sourced small automotive plastic plugs that will be painted and fill the headrest mount holes. Headliner is white.
>
> I kept the plastic seat panels and power controls of the Pontiac seats in original graphite color.
>
> The photos labeled "Before" feature a real mahogany Nardi steering wheel (smaller diameter) which was originally used with AMR 15"x8" wheels, but I found the low speed steering combined with the upgraded GM QS box and arms was a handful, pun intended, so it was replaced with a GM Simulated Wood Wheel (larger diameter) which I have used for several years. Last summer I replaced the 8" wheels on front with 7" wheels and may I reinstall the smaller Nardi wheel and hope the steering effort is not too great.
>
> BEFORE
>
>
>
>
> AFTER
>
>
>

because of that car I went for the best set of those I could find locally.Waiting to see what katskin has for leather covers to replace the tattered cloth on these

Posted by: jimc ()
Date: June 11, 2020 07:54PM

Thanks for the kind words.

The surprise here is these seats are the same graphite seats as before but the color has been sprayed with SEM Off-White that matched the Clarks vinyl perfectly, even I could not believe my luck for color match. Reupholstered cost was $275 per seat and four SEM aerosol cans was $80 total.

My dash was painted over six years ago and was a used but perfect black dash without any cracks and three light coats later it was totally changed and still looks great.

Some call it a paint others a dye or coating, I just call it amazing. I actually sprayed a new piece of vinyl allowed it to cure for 24 hours and then intentionally wrinkled the heck out of it and no cracks or other surface failures.

The SEM “paint/coatings” is good for leather, vinyl plastics and wood. Spraying front and rear seats took four cans with light applications or a dusting in the crevices and seams. Even a paint sag or bug could be removed with a dab and resprayed without sanding or feathering.

Prep is always implant and washing surface with just the soap suds and not drenching the surface, let dry and then a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol.

Jimc
1965 Corsa

Jimc
1965 Corsa Coupe, two owner history

HACOA Member
CORSA 2017 Concours Senior Gold Award
AACA 2015 Award

Posted by: CorV8tor ()
Date: June 12, 2020 12:01AM

Well got the motor in finally. Discovered a lot of the parts that needed replacing were replaced and ordered new front trans mounts and 140 decal and emblem. Hope to have it running next week. Took a year and a bit to get it in but that's the way it goes when wrestling with body and brain gremlins. Bought this 65 Convertible and the engine went out for lunch and ate a valve seat and had some aluminium chasers. Had the trans( automatic), rebuilt too. Really looking forward to taking out for a test run soon. Mounts will be here next week. Just enough time to weld up a small hole about the size of a silver dollar hot smiley. The pressure is on.

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: June 13, 2020 05:57PM

Got a spare set of hubs turned down and new studs installed. Have everything lined up and ready to go to install the disks on my'66 now.

Posted by: azdave ()
Date: June 16, 2020 05:46AM

I installed hacked a new convertible top window ($6 of clear thick vinyl from Jo Ann Fabrics) into my impostor 66 Corsa so I can enjoy more of the cool air from the A/C system. The convertible top is damaged and brittle but it keeps the sun off my head. I also drained the diff and tranny one more time to flush what I hope is the last of the original fluid.

While I had the seats out I made up a set of seat extenders and installed those. Now the seat goes back a little further than I need when at the full reward position. Perfect!

Did some road tests to check intake air and head temps and discovered a simple way to adjust the head temp gauge to indicate at normal operating temps correctly. I took out the gauge cluster to blow grit out of the tach and to fix a few burned out bulbs.

I knew this car did not come with factory A/C but was surprised to see the proper support brace was installed next to the climate controls.

Dave W. / Gilbert Arizona
65 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4
66 Corsa 140/4 w/factory A/C
66 Corsa 455 Toro V8
65 Monza Convertible 110/4
66 Monza Convertible 140/4 A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5

Attachments:
Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: June 16, 2020 02:34PM

Cleaned out the Greenbrier's former covered home and put the van back it it. I needed the big lean-to to work on another project.

Al
Georgia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.