Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: Wagon Master ()
Date: April 09, 2020 11:50AM

MUCH better! IMHO. thumbs up

'29 Ford Model A Tudor
'61 700 Lakewood 110 4 speed
'69 Monza Convert. 140 Auto.
'70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440 4 speed

Been aircooled since 1973
Northwest Ohio

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: April 09, 2020 01:19PM

Finished rebuilding the headlight assemblies on old yeller. Its been so long since it had headlights in it I won't recognize it! It will officially be driveable, but now the BMV is closed so I can't get plates.....

Attachments:
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: April 09, 2020 02:10PM

Same in Arizona!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: April 09, 2020 02:23PM

MattNall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same in Arizona!
I have an extra vintage plate from my other 65, think I'll use that for awhile..

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 10, 2020 04:08AM

Cleaned and deflashed the right head yesterday. It was loaded with oil soaked mud. Soaked down engine with engine cleaner and let it sit for a couple hours. Started pressure washing it and power to out neighborhood was lost for an hour late in the afternoon. That shutdown the pressure washing since I am on a well. Got top half pretty much clean. Sides are so-so. Continue on today. Not a good photo of the engine this time due to sun angle.

Compression test for the before maintenance will be done today.

Engine info I have learned.

T0302YH 80 HP engine (late 61 & 62) Manual Transmission
RH head 3813513 (62 & 63 80 hp)
LH head 3813516 (62 & 63 80 hp) Dropped #2 exhaust valve seat
Replacement head 3786588 (61 80 hp)

So now I am removing a 102 head and installing a 80 head. I will also be taking off the PG bell housing and installing a manual bell housing. Main reason is to install a flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate to run it. It will be part of the engine when sold.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: April 10, 2020 07:40AM

rnch Wrote:
> A few days ago, I painted the engine exhaust grille the factory color of Crocus Yellow, installed two grille accent pieces and painted in the tail lights "Silver Cove".

You need to straighten out the right side of your grill. An easy way to do it is gently lift that side with a floor jack and piece of 2x4 about 3' long. Works slick by raising the grill and the panel piece above the exhaust at the same time. cool smiley Mike

Posted by: gbirk1 ()
Date: April 10, 2020 12:23PM

Hooked up the battery charger in anticipation of the first of the season start up after the winter. That start up will probably wait until tomorrow as there have been off and on snow showers all day; windy and cold! ????

Gregg Birkholz
Canaan, CT.

1967 Monza 110 PG Convertible
2013 Chevy Malibu (Wife's DD)
1993 Cadillac Deville
2012 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab
1997 Mazda Miata STO (Wife's fun car)
1989 Cadillac Deville (parts car)
2008 Buick LaCrosse (DD)

Date: April 10, 2020 06:06PM

Continued with pressure washing of the 80 hp engine. Cleaned it up and also the m/t bell housing. Installed new seal on housing.

jacked engine up to removed stand supports. Removed a/t housing and installed m/t housing with new gasket. Mounted starter spacer plate and resecured engine to stand. Installed flywheel, clutch disc and pressure plate on engine. Did my best to manually center clutch disc when securing pressure plate bolts. No pilot bearing and no Corvair clutch disc alignment tool.

Installed starter. For cleaning I had removed test stand instrument frame. Attempting to put it back on, I found starter was interfering with new location of pump. Relocated gas tank and pump to the left to clear starter.

Installed wiring harness and found some minor changes needed to be dome for a compression crank cycle without shrouds and alternator. Changes made will allow for crank cycle or a full engine run.

Just need to hook up wires that will be used for cranking and running. Add a battery with a battery charger and we will be doing compression test tomorrow.

Donna found something that I have to address before a start this engine. The steel mount bracket for the rear engine mount has a 1 1/2" crack on the drivers side on the horizontal plane. Don't know what caused it, but it must be changed before starting. Would a dropped valve seat create a crack there?

Al
Georgia

Attachments:
Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 10, 2020 08:10PM

Lane66m Wrote:
> . . . . . . . . . . .
> . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
> Donna found something that I have to address before a start this engine. The steel mount bracket for the rear engine mount has a 1 1/2" crack on the drivers side on the horizontal plane. Don't know what caused it, but it must be changed before starting. Would a dropped valve seat create a crack there?

There are MANY wiser than I around here who may be able to so yes.
But I sure can't see any correlation!
I think it is just a fluke that you have both problems.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 11, 2020 12:10PM

More "Social Distancing Busy Work" today: I scuffed up the steel rims on Skyler the DropTop AirVair with 400 grit sandpaper, laid 3 coats of VHT High Temperature Polyurethane Wheel Paint, 3 coats of VHT High Temp clear (all left over from last week's silver cove addition), then polished the trim rings and sombrero center caps with ultra fine steel wool and Semichrome polish.

Attachments:

Posted by: guthrie1068 ()
Date: April 11, 2020 12:52PM

Bought these valve covers that I found on the Corvair FB page. I'm not sure what make they are, but I got them stripped and sanded then I polished them today. Man they look good, just waiting on gaskets and I'll get them on the car.

Chad Guthrie
Onondaga, MI
'63 convertible

Attachments:

Posted by: American Mel ()
Date: April 11, 2020 01:36PM

Those sure did polish up purty Chad, but I Hate to be the bearer of bad news . . . . . those valve cover just ain'ten gonna fit on that Shelby! grinning smiley

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
WA. state, 1 mile south of the Canadian border,
I am not at the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
Have; '66 Monza Coupe - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 Monza Vert. - 140, 4-spd. Daily driver beater
'67 A/C Moredoor Monza
Have had; '61 Monza coupe, 80hp, PG
'62 Monza Wagon, 4spd.
'63 Spyder,
'65 Corsa
non-vair
'04 Dodge Cummins Quad Dually, approaching 400K
'03 Honda Del Sol
17'Terry

Date: April 11, 2020 05:40PM

This morning I got the cracked engine mount bracket replaced on the 80 hp engine. I then found it was cracked in 2 places. I will post photos of it tomorrow. I did some more improvements of the harness routing and clipping to make it easier to put on and off. Relocated coil due to harness clipping improvements.

Had to stop progress towards the crank cycles I want to do. I had a friend come over to help take down a few trees. 2 more on my land and 4 on my neighbors were removed and cleaned up today with 4 of us working them.

Got back to the 80 hp engine pre-crank setup. Installed battery and pulled plugs. Remove blue towels from vital orifices. Attempted a crank and got only clicks from the starter. Same starter from our More Door when I put engine in car and had same issue. It will have solenoid replaced. I installed another bench checked starter from a 30 year-old scrapped Vair. It worked great.

Completed compression test twice on the engine. First attempt my main screw in tester failed to return to zero on the 5th cylinder being tested. It stopped at 45 psi. I grabbed my push in tester and did the test again on all cylinders for consistent readings. Engine still reading around 130 pounds all cylinders except #2 which is 0 due to dropped exhaust valve seat. Removal of head to be done Monday.

Al
Georgia

Posted by: F4UCorsair45 ()
Date: April 12, 2020 07:22PM

I pulled the engine and trans for my 65 140 4 speed because I was going to replace the clutch after it shed itself in the bell housing, I’m gonna go through the trans and everything just to make sure that it’s all in tact

McLayne B,
Genola Utah 84655
1965 Corvair 140, 4 speed, 3.27 final drive with posi.
High school project car/daily driver

All tips and help are greatly appreciated

Date: April 13, 2020 04:02AM

Pulled oil cooler, rear panel, LH valve cover, all LH rockers and push rods. All rocker nuts were easy to break loose.

Lowered engine test stand electric fuel pump brace by 2" to make starter replacement easier. Lengthen fuel hose by same amount. Also change it out to a ethanol compatible hose.

We will finish removal of head today. Hopefully replacement will be back on and engine run today.

Al
Georgia

Date: April 13, 2020 04:21PM

Left head was pulled today with not much issue. Only upper right stud came out of the block. We noted that the piston had the valve kiss mark (dent) requiring the piston replacement. Once we got it coming out, we saw the upper compression ring fall off the piston broke. Inspection of cylinder revealed no scores. Only means previous worker did bot properly clean the ring groove prior to installing the ring.

I had a 102 piston and Rick tried the 2nd ring in the cylinder and noted excessive gap (0.160). We tried rings of several 102 pistons and could get no better than 0.080. a check of the cylinder showed it within tolerance 3.441. Acceptable to reuse. Pulled #4 piston and cylinder and found similar ring issue.

It was decided at this time that the engine ring gap was probably not acceptable on any of the piston rings. Expending time and funds to put together this 80 hp engine would not be worth the effort. UNLESS a buyer was waiting on it with deposit paid. This engine would need new rings, cylinders and rod bearings just to get it going. My budget decided a scrap of the engine was the prudent decision. Engine was taken down as far as I wanted to go. It was then I noted the plug under the #1 cylinder boss on the block. This is a Wagon/FC block. So it will be offered for sale soon.

Knowing the previous engine mechanic did things in a short cut manner made more sense to scrap not knowing what other surprises awaited us. Engine was taken down as far as I wanted to go. He used copper gaskets on the cylinder bases that were too small. 2 were broken and rest had to be pried up to get them off. 3 cylinders had broken #1 compression rings (2,3 & 6). Once tore down, I noticed the plug under the #1 cylinder boss on the block. This is a Wagon/FC block. So it will be offered for sale soon.

So this small project has come to the end with another 80 hp engine going to the graveyard with some of its parts maybe going to live on in other engines. BUT probably not. Probably its metal will be in chinese tools in near future.

Al
Georgia

Attachments:

Date: April 14, 2020 01:38PM

Put a breather tank on my turbo car today. Bought a Moroso 2 input tank with breather top. I didn't want to limit the input to the tank by using the factory turbo chrome breather pipe so I took it out, cut the "lip" off the breather tube, and clamped a 12an nylon fuel hose to it. Then on the other side I ran a 10an hose back to the air cleaner. Lastly I connected the little turbo vacuum hose to the other nipple on the air cleaner (I'm not using the turbo choke heat tubes). I like the horizontal OE side draft look of the air cleaner and carb and have pretty much kept it intact.

Attachments:

Date: April 14, 2020 01:40PM

Total picture

Attachments:
Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 18, 2020 04:51PM

Got Zonker up on the rack to see what I'm in for with differential swap.

Of course the list of to do items doubled...isn't that always the way.

Zonker came from beach so no heater...Paso Robles 25* mornings.

Have decent used heater in stock that tested good and lubed up.

Plus parts car Duck has a complete heater front to back in it.

Took it for a last drive (ATF in diff) and warmed it up proper.

Once the carbon blew out of it ran great no more stalling.

Attachments:

Posted by: Phil Dally ()
Date: April 18, 2020 04:53PM

That start cart looks bitchen Al!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.