Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 209 of 213
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: March 30, 2020 10:16AM

Yesterday I finished the carpet install on my '66.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: March 31, 2020 02:50PM

Finalized the right side of my "thru the air grille" exhaust tips. Its all bolted in. I was able to use factory u pipes, heat shields, and even hangars. For the air grille I cut one section out, and then used some in weld to put back in a verticle bar. Right side fits good, left side needs about 1" cut out of the U pipe and rewelded (someday I have to learn to do that).

Attachments:

Posted by: CoCoCo ()
Date: March 31, 2020 07:05PM

Slick. I sit just the single tip, or do you have one on each side?

Mounted to some kind of flexible tubing, or still mounted rigidly? If rigid, isn't it going to knock around a bit with the engine?
Got a discussion thread going on hereabouts?

Looks great.

Paul

Date: April 01, 2020 08:21AM

Both sides. No flex hose, all rigid. I cut both the rear valence and the stainless grille open a bit to make room for some torque twist. Also have a thin rubber "band" around the tip where it comes thru the opening. Maybe back around page 200 on this thread I have more underneath pics. What is nice is that from the side and back you see no pipes, no muffler. Just clean

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: April 01, 2020 01:34PM

Won't that rubber get hot and start to smell? I don't know either you tell me. cool smiley Mike

Date: April 01, 2020 02:37PM

mikeycee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Won't that rubber get hot and start to smell? I don't know either you tell me. cool smiley Mike
Haha, I'm thinking yes! Thought I'd give it a try and see. If it does I'll find some hi temp stuff and redo it. It would absolutely melt on my turbo car, probably will on this one too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2020 02:38PM by goatsnvairs.

Posted by: Wabbitkiller ()
Date: April 02, 2020 02:01PM

I'm sure some of you will be surprised to see that I'm still alive, and I still exist! I've started body work on the 1965 Convertible. I really, REALLY suck at taking pictures, so let's set those expectations really, REALLY low, okay? That being said, I'll get off of my butt and get a few pictures taken and posted so all of you can see.

Chris

1965 Monza 95 Convertible 4 speed

Olathe, KS (Kansas City)

Posted by: lesliecorvair ()
Date: April 02, 2020 04:57PM

I did not do anything today but something i read here reminded me of this. Might be boring so just skip over.

In 1978 I had already been a corvair guy 12 years. My everyday driver was a 65 Corsa 140 hp. That winter in the northeast we had an unusually bad snow storm
(the Blizzard of 78) I worked at a bank in Providence RI . The storm intensity wasn't predicted accurately. By 10 am employees were told to leave work as it was already white out conditions.Because of work duties and partial stupidity I did not leave until after 1pm. By then it was already brutal.The city buses had begun to shut down. I made it to the car and got underway. There were already cars stuck all over the city streets.This required navigating around over sidewalks. I lived over the border in MA , about 25 miles. Back then there were no all wheel drives and most folks did not have 4 wheel drive. I would never have done this but I had snow tires on because they were given to me and because of the Corvair I thought I had a chance.

It was a short distance from p-lot to I-195 but seemed to take forever. I thought I would never make it. The Corvair was digging in but there were vehicles stuck and abandoned all over highway. The normal ride of 30 min took more like 4 hours.
The conditions were so bad that visibility was impossible

When hardly nothing was moving on the highway the Corvair kept digging in, wasn't always easy but it was very impressive. When I finally got to my driveway the snow was easily over the hood. The Corvair pushed kind of up and over and keep digging until I stopped it. The final amount was 35 inches. The Bank was closed for a week and nothing moved on my road for a week. Many of my co-workers were stuck at the Bank for the week.

I would have never made it home if I did not have that Corvair. I already knew it was good in the snow but this was something else. Thats my true Corvair story

Posted by: mikeycee ()
Date: April 02, 2020 05:52PM

In high school/college mid 60's I know all to well the traction abilities with a Corvair. Only thing to stop my '62 PG was a muddy country road requiring a transmission overhaul! My '63 4spd went everywhere. Don't doubt your story one iota. smileys with beer Mike

Date: April 03, 2020 03:29PM

Busy day. Finalized my power antenna hookup and air grille exhaust on old yeller. Also fired up the turbo car for the first time since I replaced the rear main this winter. Ran good, although I see I still need a crank ventilation plan for the turbo.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Attachments:
Date: April 04, 2020 04:37PM

Finished converting my '66 to an electric fuel pump. Reversed lines, new line into engine compartment to T and a fuel pump block off plug by Roger Parent. Plus the main thing, adding a revolution electronics fuel pump controller. No more gasoline stench and worry of a leaking pump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2020 04:38PM by The Stig.

Posted by: DRCORVAIR ()
Date: April 06, 2020 02:18PM

Ughh, spent around 6 hrs stripping the front and rear intake grilles to get ready for paint. Finally warm enough to strip out doors. Probably 4 coats of "Aircraft" stripper and still stubborn primer remains. Scraper and steel wool w/ stripper. Any secrets? Very much not looking forward to stripping the rest of the car this way.sad smiley Should I just sand?

63 Greenbrier 4 spd from Tuscon under restoration
65 500 140 x 4 spd waiting on resto but driveable
95 Miata M Edition- Merlot w/ BBS (Hers)
00 Miata, Black- Rotrex Supercharger 240 WHP (His)
09 SAAB Aero Combi 2.8T, 300 HP, 6 Spd, AWD
06 RAV4 V6
11 Hyundai Elantra Wagon (Daughter's ride)
62 15' Serro Scotty Sportsman Silverside
63 13' Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho
68 15' Serro Scotty HiLander
OMG I'm Nucking Futz

Attachments:
Posted by: kenzen ()
Date: April 06, 2020 06:04PM

I used airplane stripper for the majority of the car, then took it to bare metal with clean-and-strip abrasive pads on an angle grinder. Clean and Strip - Lehigh Valley Abrasives

4-5 of these pads will remove quite a bit of paint. I buy them through Lehigh Valley Abrasives since the price was always good and the product quality was good as well.

Ken

kenzen
66 Monza Coupe 110/PG
Bel Air, MD

Posted by: Barrist ()
Date: April 06, 2020 09:02PM

Stripes, and rear bumper guards. Other side, and Front Guards Next.

Attachments:

Date: April 07, 2020 04:22PM

Distributor was in a tooth off on my '66. Couldn't time it without the advance hitting the A/C belt. In the process I discovered the harmonic balancer was in scary shape! So I swapped a new Clarks one on. Bummer is this was for my current engine build. So have to get a new one now - once Clarks re-opens.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 04:23PM by The Stig.

Posted by: flamingchariots ()
Date: April 07, 2020 05:12PM

The Stig Wrote:
> Distributor was in a tooth off on my '66. Couldn't time it without the advance hitting the A/C belt. In the process I discovered the harmonic balancer was in scary shape! So I swapped a new Clarks one on. Bummer is this was for my current engine build. So have to get a new one now - once Clarks re-opens.
>
>

Try DamperDoctor: [www.damperdoctor.com]

Corvair: [damperdoctor.com]

They can rebuild your old one if not in stock.

Kevin
Medina, OH

Posted by: Lane66m ()
Date: April 08, 2020 05:37PM

Didn't work on any of my Vairs today, but I did work on the 80 hp engine I removed from my 66 More Door. I dragged it out of its hiding spot and uncovered it for preparation into my engine test stand. It was much easier to get it in the stand with the larger wheels.

After we got it in the stand we removed all its shrouds except the end pieces. The fan will be removed so we can do a real thorough cleaning of the engine. A compression test will be done to base line the engine.

Then the left head will be removed and its replacement installed. Another compression test, then run it for a couple of hours to make sure it is a good engine. It was a solid engine coming from New Orleans getting up to 8o mph occasionally but averaging 70 most of the way until it wouldn't stay running through Montgomery AL.

There are no planes to reseal the engine, but will reseal obvious leaks that are found.

This engine (as a long block engine) will then be made available for sale.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

1966 Monza Coupe, 110 hp, 4 Spd
1966 Monza More Door 110 hp, PG
1968 Camaro SS Coupe 350 CI 295+ hp PG
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe, 6 dr, 80 hp car engine, PG
1947 Farmall A tractor 15 hp

Attachments:
Date: April 08, 2020 06:16PM

The Stig Wrote:
> Distributor was in a tooth off on my '66. Couldn't time it without the advance hitting the A/C belt. In the process I discovered the harmonic balancer was in scary shape! So I swapped a new Clarks one on. Bummer is this was for my current engine build. So have to get a new one now - once Clarks re-opens.
>
>

If you don't want to wait, Mike Dawson has them. Rick just got 4 from him. Send me a PM if you want his email address and phone number. They are great looking balancers.

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Posted by: rnch ()
Date: April 09, 2020 05:38AM

A few days ago, I painted the engine exhaust grille the factory color of Crocus Yellow, installed two grille accent pieces and painted in the tail lights "Silver Cove".

Attachments:
Date: April 09, 2020 10:00AM

Now that looks great!

Al Lane
Ellabell, GA 31308

Current Page: 209 of 213

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.