Corvair Center
home forum corvairs calendar links Corvair Podcast
California Corvairs
Clarks Corvair
Clarks Corvair
“CORSA"

Chevy Corvair License Plate
Chevy Corvair Chrome Wheel
Corvair Center Forum :  Corvair Center Phorum The fastest message board... ever.
Corvair Center 
Current Page: 201 of 202
Re: What did you WORK ON / DO....to your Corvair today?
Posted by: MattNall ()
Date: November 05, 2019 03:34PM

Keep plugging away!! you'll get it!

Sea Mountain, between Charleston Harbor and Coos Bay! SW Oregon Coast
Click HERE for My Website...Click HERE for My TechPages!
..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: junkyardog ()
Date: November 06, 2019 09:06AM

AH well, I don't tool on my car, not a mechanic or that handy. Just oil changes , fluids, tires, little things. BUT I did have it to a transmission shop where it was confirmed the trans gasket is leaking. I have a new cork and rubber one, a pan reinforcement rail and Amsoil ATF coming from Clark's. I learned about the different types of transmission gaskets, most common causes for gasket leaks (over tightening bolts) and also the the pan "edge" can actually become deformed so make sure it isn't !
While I was there I was also told the oil that is leaking is also coming from the oil pan gasket due to the seal being torqued kind of "lopsided" and squished out on one side not the other. One thing at time I guess.
The younger guys at the shop kept taking pictures of themselves in the car, lol. They had never seen a Corvair before.

Jeanette Donato
Goshen, N.Y.
1966 Monza Coupe
2007 FJ Cruiser
2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
2019 Yamaha TWD 200

Date: November 06, 2019 11:39AM

What other car can you have that kind of fun with?

..............................110-PG.................................................Webered-Turbo

Date: November 06, 2019 12:11PM

It's a lot of fun, it really is;except for the part where you have to wait longer than normal to make a turn because the cars driving by are going slow to look at it. Actually, it was nice to see these guys posing for pics to send to their friends. Felt like I had a Maserati or something lol. So novel for the younger generation. The boss came in and the conversation turned to "back in the day when cars were built better".

Posted by: goatsnvairs ()
Date: November 09, 2019 02:06PM

Old Yeller continues. Decided I didnt like the gray color of my Summit rallyes, so I deflated the tires, cracked the bead, and slid carboard in and painted them Corvette switchblade silver (will paint the Corsa tail panel the same).

Oh, and the engine came out smiling smiley

Attachments:

Posted by: The Stig ()
Date: November 10, 2019 07:46AM

Engine work on my Evening Orchid convertible started with replacing a dropped seat. Then immediately progressed to pistons and cylinders when I saw the wear. I was hoping to only go that far so that I could get it on the road. Car has sat at least 20 years from when I first started stalking it. Well I stalled because of just how dirty it was. So after it sat over much of the summer with the crankcase getting dustier, I decided it was time to bite the bullet. I pulled the engine yesterday and broke it down the rest of the way. Cam wasn't horrible, but also worn enough I won't be reusing it. So cost and time go up, but I'll have an engine for it I feel confident in once done.

Date: November 10, 2019 07:59AM

You'll get it!

Date: November 10, 2019 09:15AM

goatsnvairs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Old Yeller continues. Decided I didnt like the gray color of my Summit rallyes, so I deflated the tires, cracked the bead, and slid carboard in and painted them Corvette switchblade silver (will paint the Corsa tail panel the same).
>
> Oh, and the engine came out smiling smiley

Absolutely love the new color on the wheels. I remember that color. Nice job.

Date: November 10, 2019 09:18AM

The Stig Wrote:
> Engine work on my Evening Orchid convertible started with replacing a dropped seat. Then immediately progressed to pistons and cylinders when I saw the wear. I was hoping to only go that far so that I could get it on the road. Car has sat at least 20 years from when I first started stalking it. Well I stalled because of just how dirty it was. So after it sat over much of the summer with the crankcase getting dustier, I decided it was time to bite the bullet. I pulled the engine yesterday and broke it down the rest of the way. Cam wasn't horrible, but also worn enough I won't be reusing it. So cost and time go up, but I'll have an engine for it I feel confident in once done.
>
>

Hi, Just curious about how long something like that might take. IWill it cost above2 -3k? Please excuse newb questions. Thanx.

Date: November 10, 2019 09:25AM

Well, nothing as exciting as everyone else. Just ordered more parts from Clark's smiling smiley. Gaskets for trans and oil pan. I will feel good when they are no longer leaking. Don't laugh- but a world of difference driving it with the correct amount of transmission fluid and oil. It wasn't THAT low,I have been topping off both.This time I made sure was FULL on both sticks. I swear I feel a difference in shifting and a smoother ride. Peppy-ier even. Is that possible?

Date: November 10, 2019 10:09AM

>Hi, Just curious about how long something like that might take. IWill it cost above2 -3k? Please excuse newb questions. Thanx.

That's a complex question. This is going to be my winter project so Im projecting it won't be until March that I'm close. I have done plenty that way. If you have quick working machine shop and painter/powder coater for the shrouds... Only limit is how long it takes to disassemble, and assemble with new parts. I used to be able to do one in a weekend if I had the parts prestaged on a vehicle that is in active use. Not anymore, don't have that pep and motivation.

Lot's of guys that do this more could speculate on actual hours involved.
In then end though it's not so bad, just takes time and dedication. thumbs up

Date: November 10, 2019 10:30AM

Thank you, Stig.I hope you enjoy your winter project:0. I'm picking up a used kerosene heater for the garage today just to tinker around and keep myself "interested" through the gray months. I hear you on motivation. So much more when the sun is shining and it isn't freezing weather. I share my garage with a neighbor (tractors) so he is looking forward to the heater too. My motorcycle is in a bubble during the the year when all the farming stuff ends up bringing in mud sad smiley but fall is here, harvest is over and I think the Vair should be ok under a Classic coverup cover thing. Those bubbles are expensive and a pain in the butt. I'm of to warm up the car and putt around town. It's a huge 46 degrees out smiling smiley
ttyl

Date: November 10, 2019 04:31PM

The Stig Wrote:
> Lot's of guys that do this more could speculate on actual hours involved.
> In then end though it's not so bad, just takes time and dedication. thumbs up

We're on the same schedule, have all winter to get mine going, full engine rebuild. Going to,pull the transaxle too to seal everything up. Drive by spring and then focus on the body next summer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 04:31PM by goatsnvairs.

Date: November 11, 2019 08:21PM

Overhauled the secondaries on my ‘65 sedan. They had gotten kind of gummy needed a good clean out after 9 years.

Date: November 12, 2019 05:05AM

Wheels came out good. Every once in awhile you have to get out of the grease and oil and work on the jewelry. Now back to the grease and oil. This 140 is easily the grimiest I've ever taken apart. Using a paint scraper to remove 1/4" of grime before dropping in the parts soaker

Attachments:
Date: November 12, 2019 09:52AM

goatsnvairs Wrote:
> The Stig Wrote:
> -------------------------------------------------------
> > Lot's of guys that do this more could speculate on actual hours involved.
> > In then end though it's not so bad, just takes time and dedication. thumbs up
>
> We're on the same schedule, have all winter to get mine going, full engine rebuild. Going to,pull the transaxle too to seal everything up. Drive by spring and then focus on the body next summer.
Which of course, begs another newb question- How old is the engine in there now? When it is rebuilt- how long should it last? The transaxle is a must do or a want to make it better job? I was at the trans shop and they are huge.

Date: November 12, 2019 10:15AM

>Which of course, begs another newb question- How old is the engine in there now? When it is rebuilt- how long should it last? The transaxle is a must do or a want to make it better job? I was at the trans shop and they are huge.

Another can of worms .... Lots of opinions, but here are some thoughts. In this car - it was original. I'm 90% confident it had never been apart.
A stock vair engine with original components IMHO is good for 90-100k miles depending the life it lived. Lots of variance of course depending on care and maintenance.
A quicky re-ring overhaul can get you 50k. A proper rebuild should do 100k+. Lots of guys here have far more. No different then other cars of the 60's. The transaxle as well is a matter of care. If it works I wouldn't touch it but there are tons of variables behind that. Unless you are doing a full restoration you are probably good. thumbs up

Date: November 12, 2019 10:16AM

goatsnvairs your wheels look great. Love the rallys on a Late. smileys with beer

Date: November 12, 2019 10:19AM

The Stig Wrote:
> >Which of course, begs another newb question- How old is the engine in there now? When it is rebuilt- how long should it last? The transaxle is a must do or a want to make it better job? I was at the trans shop and they are huge.
>
>
> Another can of worms .... Lots of opinions, but here are some thoughts. In this car - it was original. I'm 90% confident it had never been apart.
> A stock vair engine with original components IMHO is good for 90-100k miles depending the life it lived. Lots of variance of course depending on care and maintenance.
> A quicky re-ring overhaul can get you 50k. A proper rebuild should do 100k+. Lots of guys here have far more. No different then other cars of the 60's. The transaxle as well is a matter of care. If it works I wouldn't touch it but there are tons of variables behind that. Unless you are doing a full restoration you are probably good. thumbs up

Did I miss it? Your Vair has how many miles on it now?

Date: November 12, 2019 10:29AM

The one I am rebuilding the engine on I believe has 85k. But it is new to me and came with a dropped valve seat. That was the reason for the tear down.

Current Page: 201 of 202

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.